• What color should I paint it?

• Total voters

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm in the process of refinishing my Form 1 suppressor and I'm at a crossroads. I'm not sure what color I want it so I'll give some details and a bit of reasoning and see what the hive thinks.

Details: .30 cal suppressor that primarily lives on my .308 long-range precision rig.
    Long-range precision rig is KG Gunkoted FDE

Now, because this suppressor primarily lives on that gun I want to say go with FDE, but that will look like crap when I make the occasional switch to one of my evil black rifles...

In comes the complication: suppressor covers. I can always get a suppressor cover to hide the true color of the suppressor when I switch. The problem is that if I'm switching to one of my black guns, I'll likely be shooting a lot faster (suppressor will get a lot hotter) and I may damage a black cover.

OTOH, if I paint it black and then get an FDE cover I shouldn't ever have to worry about damaging the cover and the cover will help with mirage while shooting long-range.

Right now I'm split on painting FDE with a black cover, or painting black with FDE cover...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Still kinda torn... the poll results don't reflect the consensus of the comments (when the bacon replies are weeded out)... I think I may follow the comments and go FDE w/ a black cover...

Dave M

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Better idea: Wrap it in raw bacon. Shoot it for hours. Bacon should be cooked from the heat.

Hours? I cooked bacon on a suppressor after 3 mags (albeit FA mags). Noteworthy you can light cigarettes off of a can after 4 mags (maybe before that but very very easy after 4 FA mag dumps).

ETA:

I don't think you should get the sleeve. They are good for precision work (so the heat waves don't obscure the scope reticle/objective) but most of them melt after a couple of magazines. Also, remember that while a suppressor sock may keep the can from burning you short-term, it's keeping the heat and **** in there far longer than usual and can cause damage long-term. I have a custom one that I use during training (just so a can doesn't weld itself to my leg during a transition) but always take it off as soon as time allows to let the can to cool naturally.

Top Bottom