• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yes, but the holster and mag pouches, while being better than nothing, aren't the best quality. Nor are they ideally suited for concealment of such a large gun. Lots of folks buy the package thinking "what a good deal!" then end up never using the "gimme" accessories. Just sayin'.

Yup.

While they'd probably work for the range...that's about all I'd use 'em for if I were inclined.

-J-

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    Yup.

While they'd probably work for the range...that's about all I'd use 'em for if I were inclined.

-J-

Hmm,, well I'm a skinny guy and I couldn't conceal an XD if i wanted to without altered dress, so why not? Do the holsters break or move around a lot? It looks like they make paddle and belt holsters.

I don't know which XD"s have the thumb safety but I will definitely look for one without...

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    I just got back from H&H Firearms in fort wayne.. They let me fondle all the pistols I was looking at! :)

I really like the feel of the XD compact, it fits in my hand really well with the extended magazine, and its quite small.

The Glock 19 fits decent as well, but the XD just looks cooler and has a great mag capacity and warranty...

They wanted $539 for the one I was looking at, i think he said it was used.

I asked if my hi-point and holster were worth anything on trade in, and he said "$50".. Definitely not trading it.

Picked up some speer gold dots too, a little pricey, but cheaper than gander mountain, which had almost nothing in 9mm. Lots of 40 S&W.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Kyle, I own a xD Subcompact in .40. I'm 20 as well and would definitely consider myself a skinny guy as well (6'2" 180lbs), I've also got a Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB holster that I wear at about 5 o-clock. I typically wear tight fitting shirts and it conceals my xD with little printing. However, if I sit down it prints and my shirts are sometimes short(er) and exposes the gun. Overall it works for me and I feel very comfortable with the way the gun conceals.

Just throwing my .02 out there!

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    Kyle, I own a xD Subcompact in .40. I'm 20 as well and would definitely consider myself a skinny guy as well (6'2" 180lbs), I've also got a Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB holster that I wear at about 5 o-clock. I typically wear tight fitting shirts and it conceals my xD with little printing. However, if I sit down it prints and my shirts are sometimes short(er) and exposes the gun. Overall it works for me and I feel very comfortable with the way the gun conceals.

Just throwing my .02 out there!

Now i just have to get one of those subcompact XD's... it felt excellent in my hand and was very easily concealable.

What did you pay for yours? I don't wanna drop $650 on a handgun...

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    I just got back from H&H Firearms in fort wayne.. They let me fondle all the pistols I was looking at! :)

I really like the feel of the XD compact, it fits in my hand really well with the extended magazine, and its quite small.

The Glock 19 fits decent as well, but the XD just looks cooler and has a great mag capacity and warranty...

They wanted $539 for the one I was looking at, i think he said it was used.

I asked if my hi-point and holster were worth anything on trade in, and he said "$50".. Definitely not trading it.

Picked up some speer gold dots too, a little pricey, but cheaper than gander mountain, which had almost nothing in 9mm. Lots of 40 S&W.

Way to much for a used xd. You can buy a new one for that. I carried an XD-45 with the 4" barrel for a few years. It was a comfortable carry in a Galco 3-slot cop holster.
    My xd has been replaced for carry by a Kahr pm-9. the pm series is a little higher then what you want to spend so i would recommend the Kahr cw-9 or cw-40. I believe there is only one shot difference between the two.
    The Kahr's are a fantastic firearm. Very tight tolerance. there is a 200 round break in period listed in the book. I have spoken with some of the Kahr reps, and the told me the gun isn't broke in until 500 rounds.
    The only real difference between the cw series and every other Kahr pistol is, on the cw pistol the don't use the match grade barrel, and the slide profile is a little different.
    I carry mine in a Fist iwb holster. Great for deep concealment.:40oz:

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    After taking my own and some INGO members advice by going and actually SEEING, HOLDING, and examining the firearms I plan to purchase, It really changed my thoughts. It means a lot to actually see how something feels in your hand and to be able to look it over.

I'm not so sure a Kahr is for me, but I was dead set on a Keltec for a deep conceal gun. The XD subcompact seems to be the best combination of both worlds that I want. Hi capacity, small package, lack of safeties.

There are XD's with the thumb safety and i will NOT be purchasing one. Although I'm new to the grip safety, I don't think it will be an issue, and it will add a little extra bit of security knowing I can reholster my pistol without worrying about an obstruction pulling the trigger by accident as long as i press on the slide to lock it into place rather than the grip safety.

I was very happy with the XD subcompact 9 and 40 WITH the grip extension, and it felt a little too small without it. I like having plenty of space for all my fingers up to and including my pinky for the grip on the pistol that I like.

Before I made this post, i wanted a full-size Glock or other full-size 9mm or even a 45, but I have since changed my tune.

I will be most likely getting a Springfield XD subcompact in 9mm or .40 the end of next month, and if I can't find one in the price range I like, it will probably be a Glock 19 (not 17, and not any smaller than the 19).

I have not shot the XD subcompact yet, and that could change my ideas a little, but I doubt it could be that horrible to shoot. I've heard only good things.

I may steer away from the stock holster after I get used to it and get an IWB holster to further conceal it, although I realize it's not required in Indiana.

Also, I love the night sites, and I'm not paying H&H $125+ for them either. They are $100 new and they say I'm getting a discount at $125 by having them already installed. No way. I am not a certified gunsmith but I am a certified machinist and I KNOW it can't be that hard with the proper tools.

I haven't found anything I don't like about the XD subcompact yet. As soon as I put it in my hand with the extended magazine it felt perfect, like an extension of my hand. That is what I think the perfect carry gun SHOULD feel like.

Any opinions? I'm still open to comments, but that is a sweet pistol. It probably won't be the last one I will get, because I'd still like to get a small pocket gun or an ankle gun (Revolver?) someday, but its a big purchase considering my financial state, but I want to trust my life in something a little nicer than what i currently own.

Anyone know the break-in period on one of those XD's??

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I bought mine used, but nearly new from someone where on the board, I believe it was about $450. They sell them new at Bradis for $499 I believe. At least that's the price I remember back when I was shopping around.

I will agree with you that the xD Sub feels so much better with the extension, but while I conceal it I always use the smaller mag, when I OC or clip to my door in the car I usually swap for the extended mag.

As far as shooting it, it is a little snappy (my .40) I have not tried a 9mm to compare but the .40 is manageable and after about 200 rounds I've gotten pretty good with it. Though it its a 3" Barrel and not amazingly accurate at longer distances.

Night sites are going to cost you about $100+/- more than without them on the xD. If you don't want to spend the money right away you can send your slide in later to Springfield and they'll install them for $105 + shipping. xD's are not easily changible on your own, though there is someone in the Indy area (I forget who) who will do them.

Lastly, as much as I love this gun, I feel like I need something even smaller for those times I don't want to risk printing or for when I run, etc...So for my 21st Birthday I'll be buying myself a Kel-Tec P-3AT

I don't think you'll be dissatisfied with a xD though! :)

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I bought my XD9 subcomact at Plainfield Shooting Supply for $539 with factory Trijicon night sites. The mags are expensive. I bought a spare 10 and a 16 with the grip extension. The 16 round set me back $35, with list $39!

I'm in agreement with the others on the "gear". I bought XD for the atributes of the pistol. I will not be using the gear, with exception of the mag loader occasionally. I may just take the belt holster and mount it in my console in the truck for longer drives when strong side carry is inconvienient.

POPs has the same handgun without night sites for the same price. POPs prices suck.

Shop around!

Last edited:

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Kyle, Night sights are good, but have you considered using that $100-$125 for a QUALITY flashlight? There are as many good to fantastic flashlights as guns nowadays.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I have a Glock 38 (45 GAP) that I like very well and carry 90% of the time but I would also suggest looking at a M&P 45Compact or a Glock. I sold my M&P and still have the Glock but both are very accurate and function well for me. IMHO the 1911s are great but I'm not sure I would bet my life on one of the $500 ones. I depends on how much money you have to spend and most importantly what feels good in your hand.. Again my opinion but a 10MM seems to have more recoil to me than a 45. I would go with the biggest caliber you can shoot accurately, as the man said "a 45 since they don't make a 46".

Top Bottom