What carry ammo do you use in your Walther PPS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I bought a Walther PPS (.40 S&W) to carry and tried Hornady TAP ammunition last weekend. I fired one round, and the second round jammed standing up between the magazine and the rear of the barrel, at the top of the opening.

It was so tight, I had to drop the magazine to free it up. That's unacceptable for a self-defense weapon, so what have you shot reliably?

I have put about 80 fmj and 18 lead semi-wadcutters through it, without a single mis-feed.

For the record, my M&P cycled it without a problem.

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    PPS 9mm

I've got a PPS 9mm and use Speer GoldDot 124gr +P. I only had one FTE and that was during the break in period. I've never had any other issues. I'm sorry to read you're having issues with your's. I love mine! Good Luck.

BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    I have a PPS in .40 that I carry every day. I have 180 grain Ranger SXT in it. It seems to cycle them fine. I have also put the Hornady TAP through it and I didnt have any problems. How many rounds have you put through the gun all together?

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I have ~100 rounds through it. It just doesn't sit well that I have had ZERO problems with the other ammo and the first round of Hornady that auto cycled got stuck. I'm going to try which ever of the types of ammo mentioned in this thread I can find first, and see what happens.

For now, the B.G.s are going to have to settle for FMJs.

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Are you fully topping off the mags? I keep reading about probs with the PPS mags fully loaded causing problems like yours. Goggle PPS forum, if you havent already, its got quite a bit of good info on them.. I shoot WWB though mine for practice (9mm) and have corbons for my pp ammo. No problems with jams or FTE's...

BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    I am wanting this gun for CC and I am just not happy with all the storys I keep hearing about, lots and lots of problems.
    I can find you horror stories about any gun that has ever been manufactured. FWIW I love my PPS minus the price for Walther mags.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I am wanting this gun for CC and I am just not happy with all the storys I keep hearing about, lots and lots of problems.

I don't think the PPS has problems, I just think the aforementioned ammo is not a good match for it. I wouldn't have posted if I thought it would turn people off to the gun. It's just that at ~$1 a round for "personal protection" ammo, I thought I'd see what other people have used. Please don't ignore the part about every single other round fired went out the pipe flawlessly.

BuckeyesFan37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    XMil - I have a 40 cal PPS that's been really bugging me. Almost every post I've read online that says the PPS is fine ends up being a 9mm. My 40 was having the exact same problem yours is 5% of the time. I eventually sent it back to S&W and they supposedly deburred and polished it. It was fine for about 75 rounds, then jammed on 3 in a row. Eventually it even kicked out a LIVE round.

I'm starting to think S&W tried to force a 40cal version into a really well designed Walther 9.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Have you tried different ammo? Like I said above, I've shot 100 FMJs fine, it was just the one hollow point that jammed.

Welcome to InGun!

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Again I really want this gun, but all I have read about online (not here) is that guys are having a lot of problems with this gun, it has nothing to do with what you said, I hope smith gets everything in line, this is the perfect cc gun.

BuckeyesFan37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    I had a good run with Federal, but Winchester doesn't like to feed. I think it has to do with the geometry of the bullet. Both your hollow point, and the Winchester FMJs have a very flat, blunt front that seems to bounce off the feed ramp and miss the chamber. I'm going to look for some ball ammo and see if that solves the problem.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Update

I tried another type of ammunition today with good results. I fired 12 rounds with no feed or ejection problems.

I was at Bradis and looked at all the types of .40 cal. JHPs that they had in stock. The Remington 180 gr. jhp had the most similar profile to the ammunition I had been using with no problems.

3736097877_dc92cdfc16.jpg

Left to right: Hornady TAP155 gr. JHP, Remington 180 gr. JHP, Winchester 165 gr. FMJ.

You can see that the Remington has a "flat side" where the Hornady is more rounded. The Remington is also much wider at the top compared to the Hornady as shown below.

3736141813_662a87f126_m.jpg

Here's the box:

3736891202_3b0d17e5a8_m.jpg

Top Bottom