What can I expect ammo prices to be like this weekend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xxxleafybugxxx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    I will be going this weekend, primarily to be looking for deals on surplus ammo. Never been to the 1500 before, let a lone a gun show, so I really don't know what to expect. I'm looking for 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and mostly 7.62x25. .308 if I can find a really good deal. So what should I expect? will the prices here be able to beat online+shipping? Also, what are the odds of finding any surplus 7.62x25?
    thanks!

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Let's see what my crystal ball says, prices will be fool retail. Lot's of complaining here on INGO about it after the show and also during the show. Price will be close too online pricing but after factoring in your total cost is it worth it? That will be up to you. You never know unless you go. Search high and low. Bring plenty of cash. If you see a deal you better pop on it cause it might not be there the next time you pass by.

Shollz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I agree. Never really many great deals on ammo. Sometimes there are deals on bulk case buys. Used to be good brass deals, but that was 10 years ago

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Don't hold your breath. Also, don't forget where you parked. I had the pleasure of carrying the 1500 rounds of 9mm I bought last show what felt like 7 miles back to my car. I would gladly pay $10-15 more to have it dropped on my doorstep next time. :)

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Don't hold your breath. Also, don't forget where you parked. I had the pleasure of carrying the 1500 rounds of 9mm I bought last show what felt like 7 miles back to my car. I would gladly pay $10-15 more to have it dropped on my doorstep next time. :)
    Most ammo dealers have a 2 wheeler they'll let you use. At least all the ones I've bought ammo from did. Just left my DL for collateral and took it out to the truck.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Do a little research, and if possible go to the site that has a deal you're interested in, and actually go through the ordering process up until the point that you have a total with shipping included, then make a note of it and cancel out of the order. Make sure you figure out a "per-round" price from your total. I'd try a few different places for each caliber you're looking for. Take your notes with you to the show and that will tell you if it's better to get it there or order it online. At gun shows, cash is king, so try and take as much as you feel comfortable spending. Sometimes the dealers will give you a break, even if it's just enough to cover sales tax. Here are a couple of "one stop shopping" sites that will list what various ammo sites are charging and link you to those sites.

gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals
    Ammo For Sale : Cheap Ammo : Find Ammunition at AmmoSeek.com

Generally speaking, I do find some deals at the shows for my "oddball" calibers - 7.65x53 Argentine, .303 British, stuff like that. I haven't seen any 7.62x25 at the shows that was any cheaper than what I could get it for online, but that's not to say that you won't. Good luck!

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    I didn't find much in the way deals at the last 3 shows I've attended.

When it is so crowded you can barely move down the aisles, there's not much incentive for dropping prices. You'd have better success at dealing with a low attendance.

I'm still going on Sat though. ;-)

I will be going this weekend, primarily to be looking for deals on surplus ammo. Never been to the 1500 before, let a lone a gun show, so I really don't know what to expect. I'm looking for 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and mostly 7.62x25. .308 if I can find a really good deal. So what should I expect? will the prices here be able to beat online+shipping? Also, what are the odds of finding any surplus 7.62x25?
    thanks!

xxxleafybugxxx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    What do you think if I told the vendors what I could get it online for + shipping and see if they would make it worth my while? If not, I'll be coming home and making some online orders...

Trading_Fool

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would have to disagree. I didn't make it to the last show, but before that I saw/bought ammo for good prices. i.e. $8 per 70rnds surplus 7.62x25, $85-90 for 440 can 7.62x54. Which is cheaper than I have seen people trying to get for it here. And as far as common bulk(.223/7.62x39), the prices are normally comp to online and cheaper than most stores.

Top Bottom