• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I picked up a new lower last night and cant decide what I should do with it. I think I want a pistol. I might want to hunt deer with it. Is 300 BLK or 7.62x39 deer legal? I already have 7.62x39 stockpiled. Is there another pistol round that is legal out of an AR?

If I go rifle, Id consider 6.8, 7.62x39, 458 socom or something else. I already have a 5.56 rifle and want something different. HELP! :ingo:

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    You can hunt deer with a 300blk pistol, but not a 300blk rifle. Don't ask my why that is the law, but it is. I'm assuming that because a rifle has a stock, it causes the bullet to travel an extra couple miles and gives it explosive properties that may wipe out entire communities.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Now this has my interest!
    I had it built once but wasn't happy with the fit of the upper to lower and my rail was too long. I got a different rail and upper to rebuild it when I get back home.
    Specs are:
    Wilson Combat 11.3" barrel
    Wilson Combat NiB bolt/carrier
    Spikes Tactical upper/lower
    RRA 2 stage match trigger
    Troy Alpha Rail
    BRT muzzle device
    Sig SB15

I still have to get optics but plan on a 1-4

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Bacon aside, I can tell you that I've really enjoyed both my 300 BLK and .458 SOCOM rifles. I've been handloading for both and find that there are so many options to explore between powders, projectiles, subsonic, supersonic, etc. that it's never boring.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I don't know much about building AR's...I buy mine complete. But it's my understanding is 7.62x39 does not run real great through a standard lower. Something about the strait magwell (and corresponding mags that are used with that caliber) are not real conducive to reliable feeding.

I would think .300blk would be a good choice. It was designed for system with shorter barrels so it should work well in either a pistol or a rifle.

Choice is up to you and what you really find as the most important draw or feature.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    If it was me I would go with the 6mm X 45 or the 6.5 Grendel. The 6mm X 45 is a great target round and can take deer with the 85 gr bullets. I am getting 2550 F.P.S. out of a 20" barrel. The key thing for me is the 6 X 45 uses all the 5.56 parts. Such a mags, bolts and such.

The Grendel moves a 6.5 120 gr bullet at 2300 F.P.S.. Not bad at all for a 120 gr bullet out of a short barreled rifle, 14.5". Well that is what Hornady tells us. I have read with a 18" barrel you can get 2500 to 2600 F.P.S. out of it. The only thing I don't like about it is you have to use a 6.5 Grendel bolt and mags.

That is probably why I built the 6mm X 45. The only thing that had to be changed was the barrel. Then pick up a 6mm X 223 die and you are good to go.

The Grendel brass cost a little more than I like to spend. Everyone that has a AR has 223 brass. I must say the 6.5 is a better round. It has better ballistics. The only bad part is the cost of parts and brass. It will probably be my next build.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I dunno. If it's basically a deer rifle (or pistol) with additional capability as a defensive firearm, then I'd go with the some in the 6mm range, as '6mm Shoot' noted above.

If the primary focus is a defensive rifle, then I'm more of a 'big bullets make big holes' kinda guy, LOL. So, something like the .458 SOCOM. Hell, I consider the .50 Beowulf to be a 'nice trunk gun'. ;)

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I have been doing some reading on the 6.5 and 6.8 and I figure I have a 308 bolt gun for long range. Some day Ill have a 308 ar. I really like Rugers 716, almost got one when they first came out. I really think Im going to build a pistol and am leaning towards 300 BLK. That way when I get a can, I can use it on my 308, AK and 300 BLK. Also if ammo becomes scarce I can always make my own.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have a couple of lowers and am really leaning toward building up a .450 Bushmaster, have been looking for parts to build this for some time without success. Although I do not hunt anymore this is legal in IN for deer and my son or a friend could use it for that purpose. When I compared the ballistics it looked like the "best" all around IN legal deer rifle cartridge (other than some wildcat rounds). I am not enamored by the 5.56 round, only AR rifle I have completed is an LR 308. I have many Hi-power rifles and really like the 30-06, .308, 8MM mauser, 7.62X54R, 7.5X55, 6.5X55, .303, etc. calibers. If SHTF, I would rather have my Garand's, AK, SKS, SVD-40 or one of my other Hi power than a 5.56!
    Just my preference - no disrespect to those that favor the 5.56 round...

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I have a couple of lowers and am really leaning toward building up a .450 Bushmaster, have been looking for parts to build this for some time without success. Although I do not hunt anymore this is legal in IN for deer and my son or a friend could use it for that purpose. When I compared the ballistics it looked like the "best" all around IN legal deer rifle cartridge (other than some wildcat rounds). I am not enamored by the 5.56 round, only AR rifle I have completed is an LR 308. I have many Hi-power rifles and really like the 30-06, .308, 8MM mauser, 7.62X54R, 7.5X55, 6.5X55, .303, etc. calibers. If SHTF, I would rather have my Garand's, AK, SKS, SVD-40 or one of my other Hi power than a 5.56!
    Just my preference - no disrespect to those that favor the 5.56 round...
    Check out Black Hole Weaponry for a 450 Bushmaster or a 458 SOCOM barrel. People who have them say they are really accurate

Top Bottom