• ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    It depends.

AR-15: 55 gr fmj for general practice and range work. 60 gr v-max for varmits. 62 gr SS109 for milspec. 68 gr HPBT match for precision.

Bolt gun: 60 gr v-max for hunting, 68 gr HPBT match for precision.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    AR mostly 55g fmj for blasting
    Bolt gun 60g vmax for varminting i also use this same load for shooting groups in friendly competition

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    52 hornady and seirra match bullets, with Varget, You didn't say bolt gun or Gas gun, but I use teh 52's in both, they are fine for shooting out to 300, but most of my shooting is done at 100 and 200 so your results may vary. I've found that if a 223 will shoot it will shoot with the 52's, and Varget is a great powder for many reasons, overall its about the most consistently accurate powder in 223 I've ran across, Each gun may need tweaked but I can usually get by with Varget. Also it meters well through the dillon powder measure. An added bonus, its very hard to overcharge with Varget. A max charge is compressed in Military brass and if it spills out then something is wrong.

DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    I use Hornady 55gr FMJ boat tails because they're cheap and a helluva lot easier to load than flat bottoms. I've been really happy with accuracy as well. My reloading rig doesn't flare the neck enough to seat a flat bottom without it falling out, so I stick with BTs.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I use Hornady 55gr FMJ boat tails because they're cheap and a helluva lot easier to load than flat bottoms. I've been really happy with accuracy as well. My reloading rig doesn't flare the neck enough to seat a flat bottom without it falling out, so I stick with BTs.

You're right Doc. A little trick that I use for Flat Base bullets is to use your case bevel tool+just taper the inside of the case slightly. I chuck mine up in a cordless drill+just 'Kiss' the insides slightly..Bill.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Nosler 55 gr soft points for hunting. 69 MatchKings for 300 yards and inside, 77 gr MatchKings for out to 600 yards. All pushed by a case full of Varget, H4895, or Reloader 15.

DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    You're right Doc. A little trick that I use for Flat Base bullets is to use your case bevel tool+just taper the inside of the case slightly. I chuck mine up in a cordless drill+just 'Kiss' the insides slightly..Bill.
    Thanks Bill, I'll have to give that a try!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    When I first got started in reloading, I thought you had to chamfer the case mouth each and every time, so that's what I did. Consequently, I never had a problem seating a flat-based bullet for many years. These days, I chamfer case mouths because I believe it results in a more consistent "release" of the bullet during the shot. That may or may not be true, but it's just part of my routine and as long as I keep getting good results, I'll keep processing brass the same way. :)

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I used H335 and 50 gr V-Max in my Ruger for prairie dogs. It was very accurate and the boat tail design of the bullets seemed to perform better at long range.

Top Bottom