What are your plans for electricity post SHTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Umm, there are no electricity plans post SHTF....

Seriously, there is an eventual end to the resources needed to produce it. My Great grandfather lived without it, seems that if properly prepared nothing is preventing me from living that way too.

It's gonna suck but that's how I expect to do it.

That's sort of where we are at.
    2 weeks (max)with a genny until the freezer food is eaten or preserved and then we're down to a couple small solar/wind set-ups for keeping the 2-way radios usable.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There is SHTF, and there is TEOTWAWKI.
    Sounds like you guys are talking about TEOTWAWKI.
    Small 3 days without power, no problem
    After a week, neighbors grumble.
    Mostly, you have to worry about neighbors that don't know you, but are close enough to know you have power.
    The longer the power loss though, the worse it gets.
    That don't even include the .gov, or homeowners association showing up with a posse "for the greater good".

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Onan generator that is very, very quiet. Exhaust runs through the wood stove pipe. Good, as long as it's cold outside, otherwise will just run during the day. Reminds me..... Need more wood.....

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Onan generator that is very, very quiet. Exhaust runs through the wood stove pipe. Good, as long as it's cold outside, otherwise will just run during the day. Reminds me..... Need more wood.....
    DO NOT attempt to run two different types of exhaust through the same pipe/chimney! They weigh different amounts and one will force the other down into your home killing everyone inside.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    My only real concern for electric is water and my well pump. But even then I have a pond I can draw from. Just means alot of boiling/treating. We can do without. I do have a propane generator for short term, but at least it is not worth the effort to have battery backups & alternate power for anything long term. Everyone else in history did without prior to the 20th century, I see no reason why we couldn't do the same.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    DO NOT attempt to run two different types of exhaust through the same pipe/chimney! They weigh different amounts and one will force the other down into your home killing everyone inside.

It's in a garage. Don't plan on using both at same time. Just appearance. Thanks for the info though. I may try a small exhaust pipe inside a larger flu pipe to be able to use both simultaneously , if absolutely necessary.

rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    8kw propane generator + 1600 gallons = a couple months to figure it out. We can do heat and water without propane or electricity though if push comes to shove.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Please define your version of SHTF. Are you talking world collapse of all power grids? No access to gas/natural gas/diesel?
    Really any situation where electrical power is no longer available, whether by cost inflation or power grids are down long term, and access to fuels for generators would be limited.

Also if you take shelter in an underground bunker. Fuel storage, venting exhaust gasses, etc.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    It's in a garage. Don't plan on using both at same time. Just appearance. Thanks for the info though. I may try a small exhaust pipe inside a larger flu pipe to be able to use both simultaneously , if absolutely necessary.

Battery operated carbon monoxide alarm. $20
    AA batteries $5
    $25 spent to save your life,
    PRICELESS....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Great point TJ...and so true. Small hole in side wall with a steel or aluminum sleeve to prevent a fire. Run exhaust through the wall and muffle it down. Many ways to do this with out sacrificing power or hurting the motor.
    A buddy has his exhaust ran into a steel 5 gallon pail with home made chambers in it. Works just like a pistol silencer. No tax stamp needed for this.....:D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Oil lamps, and a bunch of miserable kids. If things are real bad keep one room with windows boarded up for light at night..and go to bed early. I have always counted on no electric when making doing my prepping.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    there's two parts to a generator - 1. the motor, which turns the - 2. stator, or the actual electrical producing part. you can hook up that end to any type of drive shaft, like possibly a steam turbine.
    Unless you have a DC generator that you're running into a power inverter it's going to be very hard to "jury-rig" something that will maintain constant RPM's to give you the right frequency.

Another option would be to build a bridge rectifier if it's an AC generator and then hook it to an inverter.

Neither of those is a great option though...

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    4500 watt Onan with a transfer switch for 6 circuits for the main stuff that matters. Furnace blower (nat. gas), fridge, sump pump, satellite TV. Good to go until the gas runs out! Back up heat is a wood burning firplace and keroseen heaters.

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    My Plans...

I plan on burning Illegal Immigrant Garden Gnomes in a magic ritual that will restore electricity to the World...

Don't forget that new show on TV called Revolution... They got magical pendants that product electricity when you press the button. Like to have one of those. In the mean time...

I have a small gas generator. A honda E3000is, and a few gas cans with stabil. More for the short term week or two of electricity needs. Longer than that? Solar panel and some marine batteries. Nothing that would run major appliances. But would keep some power to some small LED lights and other small devices when I got tired of hand cranking.

Top Bottom