What are your favorite .223/5.56 loads? What is your cost down to?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Freedom556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    I started reloading for my 5.56 ar about 6 months ago. I consider myself to still be very new at this. When I started I bought 8lbs of h335 and recently bought 8lbs of wc844 to test. I have loaded Winchester 55gn, hornady vmax 55gn, hornady fmjbt 55gn and m855 62gn. I have only used cci small rifle primers so far. I have worked up many loads using different combinations, I have fired 500 rounds so far with great results.

I am curious what loads you guys are using? Also I am wondering what you have gotten your cost down to? I am currently figuring my cost on the last 1000 rounds.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I use Varget and Hornady 55 grain FMJ bullets. It works for my needs.

+1 I use the exact same thing for my bulk plinking type loads. I bought a couple 6000 piece boxes on sale. they are surprisingly uniform for bulk bullets. Before I got the hornady's I had been using bulk Winchester and the weight and length varied too much for my taste. I wish I would have bought more they are almost $200 more for those bulk packs now.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    For plinking I use BL-C(2) powder i got in bulk, with 62gr FMJBT bulk bullets from midway. Match loads for my bench AR are Varget powder with 69 Hornady match HPBT has worked very well.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    While I like Varget, I find it a bit too pricey for blasting fodder. Profire seems to have some great deals on bulk powders, but barring that, I have settled on 24.5 gr of Ramshot TAC over 55 gr Hornady FMJ BTs I got a few years back, primed with CCI #41 primers in various assorted range brass I've scrounged over the years, mostly LC surplus. I'm currently shooting .223 at just over 18 cents a round.

So basically I'm shooting quality ammo for cheaper than imported weak steal case junk.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My favorite plinking load is a 55gr FMJBT over 24.7 of H335. It is a bit shy of the full military M193 spec for velocity, but shoots well and is as bit easier on the brass. Last time I checked I was loading for less than $20/100 considering the case cost to be nil since I'm reloading spent brass.

I like 68gr Hornday HPBT for my precision rounds. I'm loading a bit hot for that, so won't publish my load data since it is above book max. I developed it by backing off just slightly from some high pressure signs in the two rifles I load it for.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    For plinking:

24.8gn of wc844
    62gn bulk m855 bullets
    Cci small rifle primer and/or cci #41
    Once fired brass
    =16-17 cents per round

Before picking up 1000 62gn bullets and the wc844 powder from profire I was loading:

24.5-24.8gn of h335
    55gn Winchester bullets
    Cci small rifle primer
    Once fired brass
    =19 cents per round

It depends on the deals you find for your components. I would recommend stopping at profire arms for plinking components, it will get your cost per round down a few cents.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I use mixed commercial and military brass sorted by weight.

I load 75 Grain BTHP for 200 and 300 yards at 2.260 OAL. I use 75 grain AMAX for 500 and an 600 yards at 2.420 OAL.

Remington 7 1/2 primers and 24.5 grains of Reloader 15 gets them downrange. I shoot in the Master class and am normally clean in the rapids. I suck standing and struggle to read the wind at 600 or I would be a High Master.

I have no idea what my costs are since it is just a hobby. When I need components, I buy them. I just make a passing notice of the cost. It keeps going up. I am still willing to pay the cost.

I do not "plink". I have never been real sure what "plinking" is. I think it is shooting without a goal? I hear of guys just throwing rounds downrange as fast as they can. I don't understand that concept. Neither would my old Drill Instuctor.

I like to put each round as close to the center as I can. I don't practice. Matches provide all the practice I need.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    I use mixed commercial and military brass sorted by weight.

I load 75 Grain BTHP for 200 and 300 yards at 2.260 OAL. I use 75 grain AMAX for 500 and an 600 yards at 2.420 OAL.

Remington 7 1/2 primers and 24.5 grains of Reloader 15 gets them downrange. I shoot in the Master class and am normally clean in the rapids. I suck standing and struggle to read the wind at 600 or I would be a High Master.

I have no idea what my costs are since it is just a hobby. When I need components, I buy them. I just make a passing notice of the cost. It keeps going up. I am still willing to pay the cost.

I do not "plink". I have never been real sure what "plinking" is. I think it is shooting without a goal? I hear of guys just throwing rounds downrange as fast as they can. I don't understand that concept. Neither would my old Drill Instuctor.

I like to put each round as close to the center as I can. I don't practice. Matches provide all the practice I need.

I very rarely rapid fire as I see it as a waste. When I say "plinking rounds" I mean rounds I'll take to the range for fun shooting. They are cheaper(bulk) components and very accurate but not meant to be match rounds. I shoot at paper, cans, ect but don't shoot just to shoot. I usually load these in bulk as they are accurate and reliable rounds. I don't shoot further than 100 yards but the few times I have I loaded with new brass, high quality bullets and loaded them hotter than my practice rounds. I shoot often as I live near Wilbur wright, the "plinking rounds" help keep my cost down while still loading reliable accurate rounds.

bloodman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    in your nightmares
    I started reloading for my 5.56 ar about 6 months ago. I consider myself to still be very new at this. When I started I bought 8lbs of h335 and recently bought 8lbs of wc844 to test. I have loaded Winchester 55gn, hornady vmax 55gn, hornady fmjbt 55gn and m855 62gn. I have only used cci small rifle primers so far. I have worked up many loads using different combinations, I have fired 500 rounds so far with great results.

I am curious what loads you guys are using? Also I am wondering what you have gotten your cost down to? I am currently figuring my cost on the last 1000 rounds.

do you get the same results with the wc844 as you do with the h335?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Hornady 75gr HPBT
    24.0gr Varget
    CCI-450 (had a piercing issue with CCI-400s)
    Nosler, Lapua, RP or LC brass
    Loaded between 2.25" (AR mag length) and 2.30" (0.010" jump)

Sub-0.5 MOA 5 shot groups to at least 200yds and ~2860fps from a 26" 1:9 Savage bolt action.

75gr A-Max and 24.5gr Varget at 2.46" OAL (0.010" jump) provides 2915fps and *slightly* larger groups through the same barrel.

I believe accuracy potential is higher, with the nut behind the trigger being the limiting factor.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    While I like Varget, I find it a bit too pricey for blasting fodder. Profire seems to have some great deals on bulk powders, but barring that, I have settled on 24.5 gr of Ramshot TAC over 55 gr Hornady FMJ BTs I got a few years back, primed with CCI #41 primers in various assorted range brass I've scrounged over the years, mostly LC surplus. I'm currently shooting .223 at just over 18 cents a round.

So basically I'm shooting quality ammo for cheaper than imported weak steal case junk.
    I hope YOU, have a sense of HUMOR, 'cause when I reload, the BULLET, goes OVER the powder .....:laugh:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    55gr FMJ over 25.0 gr of TAC
    62gr SS109 over 25.5 gr of TAC

How do these loads group? Do they have the same, or roughly the same POA/POI?

I went up to 25 of TAC developing my load, but went with the 24.5 because the POI was closest to the XM193 factory fodder I have lots of.

I'm planning on ordering some 62s soon.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    69 (or 77) grain Sierra matchKing over 25.3 (or 23.5) grains of Varget, CCI or WIN primer. Including shipping and hazmat I have right at 40 cents per shot, maybe a little higher. I an not including brass cost because I have quite a bit of once fired brass already. I know people shoot cheaper, but if I cannot expect sub MOA accuracy, I do not bother get the rifle dirty. I am going to try the Nosler 77 grain BTHP bullets, but I have not got back to the range.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    +1 I use the exact same thing for my bulk plinking type loads. I bought a couple 6000 piece boxes on sale. they are surprisingly uniform for bulk bullets. Before I got the hornady's I had been using bulk Winchester and the weight and length varied too much for my taste. I wish I would have bought more they are almost $200 more for those bulk packs now.

Yeah, the most variance I have seen in length is .005", which is not bad at all.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I'm running a very similar recipe as US Patriot's, 25.0 grains vargent, 55 gr FMJ Remmington Accutip, also used 55 gr FMJ Hornadys with equal results. CC400 primers, mixed brass but most of it is Lake city, some Winchester and Remmington brass here or there. I'd been stock piling brass for quite a while and have plenty on hand so i've figured my cost to be around 20-22 cents a round and no FTFs.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    for plinking: 55gr (am still trying different makers of bullets)
    24 gr of Accurate 2230
    Mixed stamped brass (mostly lake city though)
    factory crimped

For long range (still tinkering but i seem to like how it does as of right now)
    80gr Midway bullets
    24.2 gr of Accurate 2230
    in all lake city stamped brass
    factory crimped

Top Bottom