What are you watching on Netflix and Amazon Prime?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This was interesting, Costner going off on viewers limited attention spans. :lmfao:

“Costner had previously blamed “TikTok culture” on the film’s lackluster performance. He said modern audiences aren’t equipped to deal with lengthy movies, and “Horizon” is three hours long.”

“It’s real cinema, folks. So be prepared. We ain’t used to that s***. We’re used to 90-minute movies. Everything’s 90 minutes…Get over that s***,” the actor told TMZ in July.”

“He added, “Let’s watch a movie that actually tells a story. Where you learn about the people and grow to like them — or hate them. It’s not all fast, cut, cut, cut.”

“When asked if short-form content like clips on TikTok were to blame, he said, “Totally, they are. Of course they are. They gotta get over that crap…They gotta learn what it’s like to watch real cinema.”

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don't know that I would want to sit in a theater for 3 hours anymore.

I also think the streaming short series is more to blame for the the death of long movies. Instead of 3 hours, you get 6-12 hours of content, which allows a story to be fleshed out more. Streaming allows people to watch it at their leisure too.

I'll probably watch his movie on Max.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Pfft, the extended versions of LOTR totaled over 12 hours.
    This series likely will too once all four movies are released.

Kevin isn't wrong but 3 hours is a long sit in a theatre. After COVID fueled the rise of streaming, its a big ask. A bigger ask still when as he says, people can barely handle short TikTok videos. That said, I watched it as soon as it became available for streaming and thought it was an excellent movie with stunning cinematography. It also wasn't woke and that is probably why so many critics were so quick to pan it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This series likely will too once all four movies are released.

Kevin isn't wrong but 3 hours is a long sit in a theatre. After COVID fueled the rise of streaming, its a big ask. A bigger ask still when as he says, people can barely handle short TikTok videos. That said, I watched it as soon as it became available for streaming and thought it was an excellent movie with stunning cinematography. It also wasn't woke and that is probably why so many critics were so quick to pan it.
    My point was that all three of the theatrical releases were 3+ hours. I think all three parts of the Hobbit may have been as well. They didn’t have problems filling the seats. People will go see what they want to see. This may be an excellent movie but I really hadn’t heard much about it.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My point was that all three of the theatrical releases were 3+ hours. I think all three parts of the Hobbit may have been as well. They didn’t have problems filling the seats. People will go see what they want to see. This may be an excellent movie but I really hadn’t heard much about it.
    That was a different time though, a time before people were streaming 15 minute videos at 4x speed. Fantasy movies, especially relatively ground breaking ones done correctly do tend to draw bigger audiences than westerns. Westerns that don't follow the modern trope of Indians good, settlers bad are not going to get the same buzz and promotion.

Reactions: KLB

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That was a different time though, a time before people were streaming 15 minute videos at 4x speed. Fantasy movies, especially relatively ground breaking ones done correctly do tend to draw bigger audiences than westerns. Westerns that don't follow the modern trope of Indians good, settlers bad are not going to get the same buzz and promotion.
    Those weren't just fantasy, they were based upon possibly the most famous fantasy series ever written. They were a long watch though.

Each of the LoTR movies could have been split in two, and then they could have added some of the content they removed. :):

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Those weren't just fantasy, they were based upon possibly the most famous fantasy series ever written. They were a long watch though.

Each of the LoTR movies could have been split in two, and then they could have added some of the content they removed. :):
    I know some people still think Tom Bombadil should have been in it… I think the Scouring of the Shire should have been in it.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Previously I was trying to find shows that my 90-yr-old mom would like, but unfortunately, after losing her in June, it's just me now. I'm finally starting to watch a bit of TV again. I just signed up for Netflix and I also have Hulu and antenna TV. I quit Prime and don't miss it. Looking for fresh recommendations. I like animal shows, detective shows, sitcoms if they're not stupid, lawyer shows, police shows, and just random things. British TV is OK too. Not a fan of sci-fi or historical stuff. I'm enjoying Elementary, a Sherlock Holmes show, and The Vet Life, a show featuring three veterinarians who have a practice together. Need some more suggestions so I can start fresh. (Oh my gosh, I may watch Schitt's Creek!)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Dumped them both. We have been watching the Chosen channel....season 4 is there and supposedly 5 is on the way. We also watch a lot of Hoopla - free streaming of movies courtesy of the local library, we watch the Roku channel quite a bit (also free), Tubi and Pluto for other stuff. We do have an over the air antenna...watch MeTV there but damn they have a lot of ads.

Last edited:

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Previously I was trying to find shows that my 90-yr-old mom would like, but unfortunately, after losing her in June, it's just me now. I'm finally starting to watch a bit of TV again. I just signed up for Netflix and I also have Hulu and antenna TV. I quit Prime and don't miss it. Looking for fresh recommendations. I like animal shows, detective shows, sitcoms if they're not stupid, lawyer shows, police shows, and just random things. British TV is OK too. Not a fan of sci-fi or historical stuff. I'm enjoying Elementary, a Sherlock Holmes show, and The Vet Life, a show featuring three veterinarians who have a practice together. Need some more suggestions so I can start fresh. (Oh my gosh, I may watch Schitt's Creek!)

I am so sorry to hear this, I must have missed the post.

I just got hooked on White Collar on Netflix. High end thief helps FBI to stay out of prison. No language, no sex, its been a good show and I can watch it with my daughter in the room.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    So sorry to hear bout your Mom. I would suggest Justified on Hulu. Probably my favorite along with Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

Top Bottom