What are people likely to do with their AR pistols after Augusts rule change?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    He said "Shepardize"! HAHAHAHA! If we didn't know he was a lawyer before, we do now!
    I already knew from his other postings . . . but recognized the jargon. Yup, conclusive. Etymology is from using Shepard's Citations which catalogs when and where a case is used to argue precedence.

John

amjindiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2022
    Northeast
    I assume there will be numerous legal challenges before it goes into effect; hopefully by our AG. In the meantime what's supposed to happen with all the soon-to-be illegal firearms out there? A government buyback? Please educate me.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I assume there will be numerous legal challenges before it goes into effect; hopefully by our AG. In the meantime what's supposed to happen with all the soon-to-be illegal firearms out there? A government buyback? Please educate me.
    I don't know.

But with all the pressure on FFLs and BS revocations for ANY clerical error at all being in full swing now I would advise not dropping off an AR pistol for any work at a gunsmith until its sorted out after it goes in effect. They're going to rely on FFLs enforcing this rule after all.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    He said "Shepardize"! HAHAHAHA! If we didn't know he was a lawyer before, we do now!
    What I was getting at is that listing a bunch of REALLY old cases tells us nothing. We need context and whether they are still good law.

Example- "You can't make that law because of the 49 year old case Roe v. Wade..."

Response: "Well, um....this is awkward"

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

So now it looks like it maybe free to turn your pistol into a SBR when they bring out the ruling.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Will there be a lawsuit to stop the ATF from making braced pistols SBR's?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

So now it looks like it maybe free to turn your pistol into a SBR when they bring out the ruling.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Will there be a lawsuit to stop the ATF from making braced pistols SBR

First, if there is an "amnesty" I would not expect it to be "free".

Second, if there is a free "amnesty", why wouldn't everyone take advantage, then go get a decent, actual stock rather than these weird compromise "braces".

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    If you have some you are afraid will be illegal please feel free to contact me. I will ensure they are properly taken care of in the correct legal manner.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Second, if there is a free "amnesty", why wouldn't everyone take advantage, then go get a decent, actual stock rather than these weird compromise "braces".
    I was thinking the same thing.

I don't know much about NFA items or how you go about getting one. Definitely take advantage of it if it's free, or remove the brace.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Because, considering recent violent actions towards gun owners, that might just be a fishing expedition.

I'm not sure I'd be willing to risk 25 years in prison to be able to post pictures of something.

Hard to prove you have something... Until you sign government paperwork saying you have it. Unless a lawyer is attached to the process and retained, that seems very dangerous to do.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don’t have a dog in this fight as I don’t own a braced anything… yet. Honestly I’ve no desire or need but am not opposed to them. I don’t own a SB anything either… no tax stamps in my life.
    You want it… you should be able to own it.

Personally I think having to get a permission slip/tax stamp to own ANYTHING is the real crime!

Maybe I’m missing something but it seems to me the move on braces is the “A lways T aking F irearms” way of getting more addresses.
    Serious question.
    What stops them from changing the rules again and making short barrel (insert gun of choice here) prohibited? If they can make up s**t along the way how do you know your not wasting 200 skins on a form to put a stock on a sb stick?
    What about suppressors? This is one area I’m interested in… my friggin ears ring enough now. I think I’d like to get a suppressor for my pistol but I’ve hesitated. These tax stamps appear to be nothing but registration… the road map to confiscation.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If the current AWB / magazine ban passes senate and SCOTUS doesn't kick that **** out nearly immediately I feel like that's a suitable hill.

I just don't know how many people are going to pony up the balls it takes to say no, publicly, in this day and age.
    And you likely never will know (unless you're first in the stack)

In this day and age, discussions like this are just providing grist for the red flag/show trial - and people who insist on trying to get others to post impolitic things are viewed with suspicion, rightly so IMO

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    IDK about myth, maybe it's one of those "add-ons" they use when they either can't get you for anything else but REALLY WANT TO LOCK YOU UP, or it's something they tack on for bonus sentencing when they catch you for something else.
    This is the ATF we're talking about. If they 'can't get you for anything else' they have shown that they will entrap you into a rule violation and then call in FBI snipers to kill your family and you (Ruby Ridge) or manufacture some 'for the children' pretext in order to raid your compound/commune and then burn you all alive when that raid goes south (Waco)

Top Bottom