• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jb1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    I finally woke up and got my LTCH and I am just now looking into buying basic weapons (I consider 12ga, .243, 10/22, and handgun) and I was wondering what where the normal prices you would pay for rounds pre-scare? And what is considered a reasonable deal now days?

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Reasonable deals are subjective to the seller, and people's opinions of what ammo is worth can vary drastically. Reference for ammo pricing: have a look through a Midway catalog from August or Sept, 2012. If it's more than that, walk away.

jb1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    I'm sorry but I can't find any links to those catalogs, says file not found. Like I said I am new to owning, I just took my rights for granted.
    I am guessing old prices were $40.00 bucks for 500 22LR, maybe .35 cents a round for 9mm. But I have no idea about anything else.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Pretty much, any pre-panic prices are good deals now. 22lr was around $24 for 500. You could buy 9mm in 50 round boxes for $9.99 without looking too hard

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    I bought several thousand rounds of CCI .22 LR Mini Mags from Natchez several years ago for about $6 per 100-round pak. Those are considered fairly decent rounds. Some of the other brands' 500-rnd bulk paks were less $ per round, so that should give you some idea of historical pricing.

t1545jh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Kokomo
    I bought a 1000 round bulk pack of Remington UMC 9mm last summer for $199. Last month I bought the same bulk pack from the same on line store for $336 and I was excited I even found that!

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Walmart prices are still pretty well in line with what reasonable prices are going to be. Go check out their (empty) shelves, but note the pricing. MOST of it is a pretty good guide of what is reasonable.

Also, brass is generally going to be more expensive than steel so be mindful of that. All the cheapest ammo prices you see at walmart (Tula) are for steel, not brass.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    12 Gage and .243 cartridges are still pretty much available - at least in the stores I have looked at - most prices although slightly higher than last year are reasonable. 22 LR is ridiculous both in pricing and availability. I purchased the last of my stock last year at $18.75 /500 (on sale) at Rural King.

Today if you can find any expect to pay at least $25 for standard rounds Winchester, Remington, with CCI $5 to $10 higher per 500. Don't know what caliber handgun you are looking at so above info is about what I would agree with. I haven't actually purchased any ammo since last year, have a great store of ammo and will continue to stock when prices go down!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I finally woke up and got my LTCH and I am just now looking into buying basic weapons (I consider 12ga, .243, 10/22, and handgun) and I was wondering what where the normal prices you would pay for rounds pre-scare? And what is considered a reasonable deal now days?

This is a good and valid questions, just a little hard to answer without more specifics. In general I'd say:
    22 LR was about $23-25/500 plinking ammo pre-panic. Expect to pay more for nicer stuff like mini-mags, etc.
    .243 was $16-20/20 rds for average quality (federal blue box, remington core-lokt, etc) or $1.50-2.00/shot for premium (Barnes Vortex, Hornady superformance, etc.)
    12 ga, buckshot was usually $0.80-1.15/shot (remington box of 5 for $5 at walmart was pretty standard). Nice waterfowl rounds (no lead) could be even more, sometimes approaching $2/rd. Now birdshot is still available and cheap, $5-7/25.
    for handgun: cheapest reliable 9mm in brass was $11-14/50, or a 100 rd winchester white box for about $23-28. Self defense rounds have always been close to $1/rd. .40 S&W was always a bit more, like $16-20/50.

I'm not an ammo snob, so I don't mind plinking with Tulammo, or the silver bear/brown bear stuff, it's just dirty. Nowadays some people are trying to sell this stuff for the same price as high quality or even premium ammo. If you find it on the shelf, get it.

*Premium ammo in any caliber (except 22 Lr) hovers at or above the $1/rd mark, if not well over it.

What I've found is that most places where I get ammo (MC Sports, Dick's, Walmart) haven't raised prices drastically (0-10%), it's just the overall shortage. THen the ammo flippers sell it at very inflated rates.

Note that these were local prices, not over the internet. Since I don't usually buy in bulk, I'd wait for good sales/coupons/etc. to get a deal on some of these.

I hope that helps a bit.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm currently loading 155gr jhp's in 40 S&W at about $10 per 50 including the cost of brass. About $8 reusing brass.

Cattman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Franklin
    Bass Pro at Clarksville had 40 in stock yesterday $38 for a 50 rd box of 165gr Winchester hp FMJ. Also had to 250 rd bxs of UMC for $94. They had gotten a big shipment in and sold out of bricks of 22 before I got there. Cabelas in Louisville was fully stocked at 9 yesterday morning when it opened with 5 box limit for Cf and 22's. Worse than a black friday sale.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I'm currently loading 155gr jhp's in 40 S&W at about $10 per 50 including the cost of brass. About $8 reusing brass.

That's something I gotta start doing. I have plenty of ammo to last me a good while, but I'd love to build up some reloading stock Just make a box of 50 here and there when I find time. That and the ability to load subsonic. I'd like to get a suppressor some day as well.

Top Bottom