What are good models (or at least caliber) rifles to look at?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bendrx

Expert
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    So pretty much just Cloverdale is the .22lr only range for Appleseed in state? I'm going to look at a stainless 10/22 after work today. Was thinking about it and with the money spent feeding the SKS I could buy a new 10/22 every 2 weekend shoots. It's my understanding that you can switch rifles at the events, so I may use both.

Bubba

Expert
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    MCFG is .22lr (or pistol caliber) only. Cloverdale is not, that I'm aware of. At least the empirical evidence says not. I still have a .223-shaped burn from the June shoot where some hot brass rolled to my elbow while shooting prone. And I took some potshots at steel using a borrowed AR after the July mini... :nailbite:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    So pretty much just Cloverdale is the .22lr only range for Appleseed in state? I'm going to look at a stainless 10/22 after work today. Was thinking about it and with the money spent feeding the SKS I could buy a new 10/22 every 2 weekend shoots. It's my understanding that you can switch rifles at the events, so I may use both.

I don't know which ranges allow what rifles, but I agree 100% with buying a .22 to go along with your SKS. Its so much cheaper and shooting .22's really is fantastic practice and the skills do translate to the bigger guns.

Besides, you should just buy a 10/22 anyway, they are fine rifles on their own merits. We all know you want to :D.

I look forward to seeing you at a seed!

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    Cloverdale is a bring what you want to shoot, up to 8mm. Mini Appleseed thread - rifle caliber updated!

But 22lr is far easier on the pocket book!

Last edited:

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer

Yes, you can technically switch rifles during the event by notifying the shoot boss before doing so. However, you probably shouldn't switch just to switch. You spend a lot of time just sighting in your rifle and refining your position, etc., which is more beneficial if you can practice with just one rifle. If you have a malfunctioning rifle, then yes, switch. If you've mastered the skills with one rifle (as in, can shoot Rifleman scores with it), then yes, feel free to switch. There are sometimes opportunities to shoot at 100 yds plus, too, so a larger caliber rifle is an option then, too. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is something to be said for consistency, but you may switch if it seems necessary.

indyjoe

Master
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Techres, what have you found you need to do to your M&P 15-22 besides the mag shortening? It seems like a great Appleseed trainer for the AR platform. I've got 2 - 10/22 LTRs built, but will finally have my first AR built soon and thought the 15-22 would be a great pairing. My LTRs have been loaned around to 10 different family members attending Appleseeds over the last year anyway. :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom