What are good models (or at least caliber) rifles to look at?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    Appleseed definitely sounds interesting and it's something I might want to do sometime in the future. So, I'm wondering what are good rifles to be looking at? Or least caliber. I know the FAQ says "any caliber is fine" - but I'm sure there are favorites... :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2008
    The general favorite would be a .22 rifle...and the Ruger 10/22 by far takes king of the hill.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2008
    Really? Interesting? I would have thought something with a bit more "punch."

Very cool. And I'm a Ruger fanboy anyway.

Generally that's because of cost, availability of ammo, ease of shooting, etc etc.

Lots of folks use AR pattern rifles too, from the photos I've seen.

Have even heard of a person or two using an SKS.

Generally something with easy reload capabilities are what'd be the easiest to run.

And while I've yet to attend an Appleseed, many of the instructors here on INGO generally have a "run what you brung" attitude and will do what they can to make that person a successful shooter.

-J-

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Appleseed definitely sounds interesting and it's something I might want to do sometime in the future. So, I'm wondering what are good rifles to be looking at? Or least caliber. I know the FAQ says "any caliber is fine" - but I'm sure there are favorites... :)

Hi Jon,

Most of our shooters bring Ruger 10/22s, however the literature is correct; we usually say we "run what you brung". I've seen everything on the line from the Crickett single-shot bolt action to AR-15s to the rifle the Army Qualification Test was designed around: The M1 Garand.

A bolt action is more difficult to use to shoot our course of fire, but it can be done. A single-shot would be exceptionally difficult to use to do so. (one stage is ten shots in 55 seconds. I can't imagine how fast you would have to move to manually load one round at a time to do that and aim each shot you fire.) If that's what you have, however, we have become very good at making improvisations and adaptations. If it can work, we'll make it work.

We tend to like the 10/22 because a couple of small modifications can make it work for instructional purposes as a main battle rifle at the ammunition cost of .22LR.

Hope that helps!

Edit: This is what I get for taking my time in answering. A half- hour and everyone else makes all the points I made! :p

Blessings,
    Bill

DHolder

Expert
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    It is a "run what ya brung" event. We teach history and marksmanship, so bring what you own. We suggest the 10/22, because, during the course of fire, there will be mag changes and the 10/22 fits the build.
    I have seen more than one shooter, earn a Rifleman patch with a bolt action rifle,
    a feat not easily done, but it can be. SKS and AR's can also be used at some but not all ranges, with the price of ammo being a drawback.
    The 10/22 is very dependable, and can be modified to shoot with a scope, tech sights and a web sling very easily. For more information on th "Liberty Training Rifle", check out the sponsor section of the board under Appleseed, or ask an instructor. :patriot: Don

Eddie

Master
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    It is a "run what ya brung" event. We teach history and marksmanship, so bring what you own. We suggest the 10/22, because, during the course of fire, there will be mag changes and the 10/22 fits the build.
    I have seen more than one shooter, earn a Rifleman patch with a bolt action rifle,
    a feat not easily done, but it can be. SKS and AR's can also be used at some but not all ranges, with the price of ammo being a drawback.
    The 10/22 is very dependable, and can be modified to shoot with a scope, tech sights and a web sling very easily. For more information on th "Liberty Training Rifle", check out the sponsor section of the board under Appleseed, or ask an instructor. :patriot: Don

The liberty trainer page that is linked to the appleseed website shows a pistol grip stock, but in the written description it only mentions changing the magazine release and adding the web sling and tech site. Is there a recommendation for the stock or any other recommended changes?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    FYI: The technical rule of allowed calibers are .22 to 8mm rifle rounds. I expect to see pistol carbines on the line increasingly as well and that is fine. .50 cal is not allowed. There are some ranges that are .22 or pistol caliber only and when we are at that range, them's the rules.

Other than that, what you bring is up to you. Just make it something that you will have fun with and learn from. Personally, I like the AR but last weekend I had a ball with a Garand.

Really, whatever you want within what the particular range allows.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Really? Interesting? I would have thought something with a bit more "punch."

Since the instruction is done at 25 meters, more punch is not really needed.

For the ranges which allow for longer distances, many will bring a larger caliber rifle to shoot out farther on day 2.

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    Hmm, maybe I should re-phrase... I know very little (next to nothing) about the rifle side of the firearms world, but want to learn to shoot and perhaps move towards participating in the Appleseed thing.

So... 10/22 is something to look at. Which model?

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Any of the 10/22s are fine, look to add the Tech Sights (or a scope) for a much more accurate sighting system.

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    Carbine is the least expensive and accurate to boot!

I believe the new models come with an extended Mag release, so a set of Tech-Sights or a Scope, GI sling and an auto bolt release and your ready to go. :D

Some of the new 10/22's have a really heavy trigger pull, so that may also be an area that will need some work. :dunno:

Farmritch

Expert
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    The program was designed around the M1 or M14 with the Ar pllatform following.
    Adjustable sights are very helpful if you have never shot your rifle.
    It also teaches you about distance and adjusting your sights
    Most have opted for the 22 for economy. and there are rear adjustable sight kits that mimick the Military adjustable types.
    Not sure how many rounds are going down range these days but we used to average 400-500 per weekend

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    If you find the 10/22 too pricy or you don't want to immediately start modifying a rifle look at the Marlin 795. I bought one to loan out with my 10/22 and I have become a big fan. I just needs tech sights and a sling and it is ready to go.

Pluses
    --------
    - Light
    - Accurate
    - Already has sling swivels
    - Great trigger out of the box
    - Better shaped stock (IMO)
    - Already has bolt lock back
    - Less finicky about ammo
    - You don't need to spend money to replace most of the rifle with aftermarket parts
    - Action is well bedded in the stock

Cons
    -------
    - Light (uh huh, it's a personal thing, kids do well with the light stock, some adults, not so well)
    - Poorly shaped stock (I love the butt and wrist far better than the Ruger, but the forearm is too thin IMO)
    - Might take a bit of polishing or break in to get the mags to drop free (user reports vary)
    - Less upgrade options, like almost none.

Overall, it gives up nothing to the Ruger and I can buy two Marlins for the price of a 10/22 with money left over for tech sights and slings. At that point it is Rifleman capable nearly out of the box.

Look at them both and let rifle fit make the decision for you. Again, IMO.

YHJ

Edit - My Marlin is up to 2500 rounds without a single FTF or FTE. Three different kinds of ammo.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The 795 is better than the Marlin 60?

IIRC, it's the same rifle, factory modified with a removable box magazine rather than a tube. This makes it a little better for our purposes, yes, because there are a couple of strings of fire in which a shooter has to change mags. We don't make tube-fed rifle shooters do that, so there are a couple of different things they do, but it's easier on us as instructors and both better for and easier on the shooter to do the same thing everyone else is doing on a string of fire.

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

Bendrx

Expert
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    About what percent of the Appleseeds and Mini Appleseeds require a .22lr? Debating on replacing my worthless Rem Viper with another .22 or just dealing with it once in a while and using my SKS most of the time.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    About what percent of the Appleseeds and Mini Appleseeds require a .22lr? Debating on replacing my worthless Rem Viper with another .22 or just dealing with it once in a while and using my SKS most of the time.

.22LR is quite a bit less expensive than 7.62x39.

Unless the range you're going to specifies .22 only, you can use the SKS all day, both days. You would not be the first to use .223, 7.62, .308, or .30-06. Our primary reason for suggesting .22LR is economic, but it also benefits our newer shooters who might be recoil- or noise-sensitive.

Your choice which you like more for our shoot. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom