• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Often times when describing to someone why I choose to CC/OC, I will give the analogy of keeping the spare tire in the car all the time, not just the days I'm expecting to get a flat. Or I wear a seatbelt every time in the car, not just the days I'm expecting to be in an accident.

That has seemed helpful, because people "get" that they should be wearing a seatbelt "just in case". And I think that helps them transition into the next logical step that it's good for some people to OC/CC just in case.

My question for you:
    What analogies do you like that relates to some of the reasoning behind why you carry?

I'm not looking for the OC/CC debate, or the "if they don't like me carrying, they aren't my friend" discussion.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I don't use analogies. I use real world.

The arguments most use against open carry are that you will be the first one shot when someone comes to rob a 7-11. Never mind that that has never, and probably will never, happen.

The most likely place you will need your gun is when you are personally attacked, whether it be in your car, in a shopping mall parking lot, at home, or otherwise out in public (walking on the street). Concealing your gun has two distinct and very detrimental disadvantages. First, you appear as a soft target. You are just another unarmed potential victim. Sure you can use situational awareness and try to appear to be a hard target, but if you are carrying at least you appear to have the ability to defend yourself with deadly force. Second, concealment is only a tactical advantage when you are the aggressor. If you are in a defensive position, you have more obstacles to overcome, namely clearing your cover to reveal your defensive weapon, draw, and fire. Why hobble yourself unnecessarily?

On the other hand, open carry allows one unfettered access to their sidearm as well as offering a deterrent to potential attackers.

If you want to make fun of someone else because they are stupid, remember that concealment is only a tactical advantage when you are the aggressor. It sucks when you are the victim.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The flat tire, fire extinguisher, are good analogies. Better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it. But it usually falls on deaf ears when dealing with the anti gunners

LeadPharmer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    Toledo, OH
    I always prefer to break out the statement "When second matter, the police are only minutes away".

If the other person ever carries a flashlight, lib balm, a sewing kit, or anything they consciously made a decision to carry IN CASE they needed it, they already understand the justification for carrying a firearm, now they need only get over their discomfort/fear/ignorance of firearms. I don't mean ignorance in an insulting sense, just that they likely aren't very familiar with them.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It's like insurance.

You don't buy homeowner's insurance expecting your house to burn down, but you have it knowing it could happen.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    One thing I like about the fire extinguisher analogy, is that in many situations a fire extinguisher is required by law.

Which begs the question, where are all the laws requiring appropriate "firearms" safety equipment?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The fire extinguisher/first aid analogy. Then tell them to look at the people in the news that were hurt/killed. How many of them knew what the day would bring.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    The arguments most use against open carry are that you will be the first one shot when someone comes to rob a 7-11. Never mind that that has never, and probably will never, happen.

Just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean it has never happened. Never is a very strong word and is over used far too much. And before you ask, no, I can't provide an instance where it has happened, but I'm not foolish enough to think it couldn't. It's a big big world and you couldn't possibly know about every single shooting incident that has happened in it.

... concealment is only a tactical advantage when you are the aggressor.

Oh dear. More absolutes.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Got into an argument with a liberal on an insurance forum (I sell life insurance just in case any fellow INGOers are looking :) ). I said carrying a gun is like having E&O insurance. Which stands for errors and omissions insurance. We pay $40-$50 a month for this insurance to cover our behinds just in case we say/do something wrong.

I said I hope I don't ever need my E&O insurance, but if I ever need it Ill be glad that I had it.

He could not understand the analogy. He said his E&O insurance couldn't accidentally shoot someone. :ar15: @ liberal arguments.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    One post later, that's where we are.

Welcome to INGO.:rolleyes:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Every day I come in and toy with the idea of starting a "Wear did you CC Today?" thread...And then I don't because I know exactly where it will end up but man...That was freaking fast...Muy Rapido Amigos!!!! Boom!

I made my wife's friend cry the other day..She is a big liberal, started in on the "We don't have a gun because we are not scared like you.." I said there is a difference between being scared and prepared...She kept playing fear factor and even asked, "Why are you so scared?" Being the classless animal I am I went straight for the jugular..."Well if I am scared then you must hate your husband and daughter because you won't even CONSIDER the idea, politics aside, of protecting them from the very real dangers in this world...So let me ask you, Why do you not care if your family lives or dies??? Do you not like them or what?"

"Sniffle..Sniffle...How could you say such a thing.." and went running back to our bathroom for a tissue...My wife just looked at me and said, "Really? You really just went there..." And then busted out laughing...I was cooking dinner for all of us and she came out of the bathroom drying her eyes.. I looked at her and said, "Now why do I have a gun?" and she said "Because you are prepared" and I said, "Good. And I do think you love your family but neither you are your husband are willing to kill to protect that love and that is your choice. If it weren't for gazelles with your mindset on the savannah's of Africa then lions would starve to death. Now let's eat."

It all ended well

Last edited:

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    I don't use analogies. I use real world.

The most likely place you will need your gun is when you are personally attacked, whether it be in your car, in a shopping mall parking lot, at home, or otherwise out in public (walking on the street). Concealing your gun has two distinct and very detrimental disadvantages. First, you appear as a soft target. You are just another unarmed potential victim. Sure you can use situational awareness and try to appear to be a hard target, but if you are carrying at least you appear to have the ability to defend yourself with deadly force. Second, concealment is only a tactical advantage when you are the aggressor. If you are in a defensive position, you have more obstacles to overcome, namely clearing your cover to reveal your defensive weapon, draw, and fire. Why hobble yourself unnecessarily?

On the other hand, open carry allows one unfettered access to their sidearm as well as offering a deterrent to potential attackers.

If you want to make fun of someone else because they are stupid, remember that concealment is only a tactical advantage when you are the aggressor. It sucks when you are the victim.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Isn't there a dead horse already on OC vs CC?

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    The flat tire, fire extinguisher, are good analogies. Better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it. But it usually falls on deaf ears when dealing with the anti gunners
    I use the seatbelt analogy when people ask why I wear a motorcycle helmet, jacket, pants, etc. I don't plan to need it, but just in case...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
    ?..

"Sniffle..Sniffle...How could you say such a thing.." and went running back to our bathroom for a tissue...My wife just looked at me and said, "Really? You really just went there..." And then busted out laughing...I was cooking dinner for all of us and she came out of the bathroom drying her eyes.. I looked at her and said, "Now why do I have a gun?" and she said "Because you are prepared" and I said, "Good. And I do think you love your family but neither you are your husband are willing to kill to protect that love and that is your choice. If it weren't for gazelles with your mindset on the savannah's of Africa then lions would starve to death. Now let's eat."

I use something similar when they say something about why do you carry near children, don't you care about them.
    I come back with, don't YOU care about them. What if some guy comes in to make a name for himself, and you just have french fries to throw. Don't YOU care?

Top Bottom