What ammo for Mosin 7.62x54R Deer Hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I'm intending to hunt next year for deer with my Mosin M91/30.

I'll be hunting in Kentucky. I do realize I can't hunt with this in Indiana.

That said, what ammo would be best for hunting deer?

I have been considering the silver tip stuff, but will this act as a bullistic tip? I read that it has a steel core, so I'm not sure what to expect out of it.

I like ballistic tip stuff, but I suppose soft nose would work.

Thoughts?

ddewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    North Central Indiana
    38Special:
    Check out sportsmanguide.com for their 7.62x54 section. They have 'Silverbear' and 'Brownbear' in 203gr softpoints (SP) and one from Wolf at 180gr in SP. I also live in Indiana and was thinking about taking my Mosin on a vacation next Fall to upper Michigan deer hunting. I was going to buy some SP ammo and see how they performed at the range. Let us know what you select and discover.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've used both some of the wolf 180 grain SP and some of the silverbear (and another brand I can't find anymore) 203 gr SP's. Both shoot well out of my M44 and it was the Wolf I used on the last deer I shot this summer on my population control permit. Dropped her where she stood.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I got to go hog hunting with a M44 Mosin and my Weatherby. A real blast!

I used a 203gr Brown Bear SP on a boar, knocked 'im right over. Expanded well enough, but I found fragments in the wound track. Lots of them. I think its a really hard lead. The other one my dad and I took, we used a 200gr D166 Norma FMJBT handloaded bullet. The hog ran for 15m, stopped, then sat down, dead but looking ahead. Really weird. I would use a soft point IMHO.

Last edited:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I'm guessing since you're using a Mosin any 7.62X54 will work just fine. You're shooting a big caliber don't over think ammo;). . On the other hand I don't know how far you're shooting.

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    no full metal jackets for hunting in kentucky has to be an expanding bullet . I have had good luck with the silver bear brown bear and the winchester/privi partisan loadings

moikea

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    203 grn sp makes a very large exit wound.Bad shot placement will waste alot of meat,but will definately drop deer in their tracks

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Your silvertip is FMJ, which as noted before is a big no-no in Ky. All the silver paint indicates is that it is steel core. Personally, I've used the Brown Bear 204 gr. s.p. and the Privi Parisan (also sold as Wolf Gold) 150 s.p. on the other side of the river and both work very well. The Privi seems to open a little faster and hold together a little better than the Bear, it also is a little more accurate in the rifle I use. Best thing to do is get a box of each and see which one shoots the best for you. I haven't used any, but I've seen a few reports that the S&B (Winchester metric)soft point load is also good.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Surprised nobody said it yet. The crappy old surplus ammo will drop a deer where it stands. Hog, Mule Deer, Bear, and Kentucky deer.

Nobody said it because the milsurp stuff is FMJ which is illegal to hunt with in KY (as already stated), and is a poor choice for hunting due to the lack of expansion (part of the reason it is illegal along with the increased chance of ricochet.) ;)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Old thread, worn out topic. Use an expanding, lead-tipped bullet from ammunition of relatively recent vintage. Save the surplus garbage for plinking.

Better yet, learn to cast your own bullets and you'll likely have some very accurate loads at reduced velocity/recoil.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I load several rounds for deer in this caliber and all have worked just fine. Missouri deer.
    I prefer the .308" Nosler ballistic tip for hunting, because with a scope, I can keep them all in a 2" group @ 100 yards. Fine accuracy for deer out to 250 yards or so. Most woods don't give you that kind of range opportunity anyway.

For precision work, MOA or less, I use a flat based 150gr bullet in .311" or .312", Hornady or Nosler.

These old rifles are quite accurate enough for deer hunting if loaded right.

As much as I hate to say it, there is factory hunting ammo available, Privi Partisan (spelling) sells it. It is not as accurate as my handloads.

roustabout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    portland oregon
    I've been using m 44 mosin for deer and elk hunting for years. ammo I use Winchester as I get it big 5 . 180 grain. Last hunting season I dropped a good size 5 point 1 shot just over 300 yards. It's been a very good meat rifle. October 2012 I paid 25 dollars. For a box of Winchester 25 rounds 180 grain. I set mine up in the scouts configuration ( long focus scoop ) I was not sure if I was going to like it has it looks a little silly . After using it I find I can acquire the target so fast and easy. Just make sure you get a good quality scope to cut down the destruction. This layout would not be good for a marks man. But I found for hunting at 200 yards I can hold a pretty ok grouping around 2 or 3 inch.

Top Bottom