• ...and so much more!
  • top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    loaning my mossburg 500 to a friend this weekend with rifled deer barrel. i dont hunt and he asked what was the best slugs to buy for it.
    i'm sure several posts have talked about the same, but dont remember them. i thought the sabots were for rifled barrels and the 1 oz slugs were for smooth bores. can you help me?........daryll

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    loaning my mossburg 500 to a friend this weekend with rifled deer barrel. i dont hunt and he asked what was the best slugs to buy for it.
    i'm sure several posts have talked about the same, but dont remember them. i thought the sabots were for rifled barrels and the 1 oz slugs were for smooth bores. can you help me?........daryll
    AFAIK, the "rifled" barrel is made for the SABOTS, but the lead slugs, will work well .....:twocents:

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I use remington copper solid sabots in my Mossburg 500 they group well for me, although the longest shot I need to take in my spot is 50 yards. I haven't shot them farther than that. They work great for me out to 50 yards.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    I use remington copper solid sabots in my Mossburg 500 they group well for me, although the longest shot I need to take in my spot is 50 yards. I haven't shot them farther than that. They work great for me out to 50 yards.

Ditto. I sighted my Mossberg 500 in at 50 last year and at the end of the day had three shots cloverleafed. I figure that's good enough for Minute-of-Bambi. I think getting the 3" mags as opposed to 2 3/4 is the important part (if appropriate for your gun).

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I have always used Hornady SST sabots it the past. I like there range and accuracy. What ever he decides to use he needs to stick with unless he sights the gun in agian. My advice is to buy a box or two of a few brands and see what the gun likes.

hoosier7400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Evansville Indiana
    You know, 12g is basically a .70cal bullet moving very slowly against "soft" targets. You can buy Lightfields and afford to sight in with 3 shots and have two left over for hunting or, you can buy Remmington Sluggers at $8 for 15 and get really good. The barrel makes little difference as you wont really need pinpoint accuracy at 75 yards. A deer kill is way easier than some animals due to the large body and massive vitals. As with everything, practice, practice, practice. If youre a bad shot, its better to try to use all 5 in the tube if you need it without breaking the bank.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I used a copper solid today. Hit right where I was aiming. Double lung shot, the deer ran around 75 yards before it died. I was a little surprised it went that far.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom