What ammo do you carry in your 1911 and how do you carry it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ford2685

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    USA,USA,USA,USA!!!!!!!
    i bought my first two 1911's and i am curious, what kind of ammo do you carry in yours? I bought about 7 diff kinda of personal protection rounds and ball and critical defense are the only ones that feed flawlessly. I know every gun is diff but i would like toknow how you cary your 1911, if its 4-5"? and what kind of ammo? thanks....

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    What kind of 1911's did you buy and what mags are you using?

I use HST by Federal and wilson combat mags with wolff extra power springs in the Kimber Ultra raptor 3 inch

And HST and act mags for the other with wolff extra power mag springs its a commander smith and wesson 1911pd.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    We carried Winchester PDX1. After seeing the accuracy we get from Hornady's Critical Defense in 9mm, and with it's terminal performance being targeted toward the needs of personal and home defense instead of the different needs of police, I wish I would have tried it in the 1911s.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    We carried Winchester PDX1. After seeing the accuracy we get from Hornady's Critical Defense in 9mm, and with it's terminal performance being targeted toward the needs of personal and home defense instead of the different needs of police, I wish I would have tried it in the 1911s.

Have you seen the threads going around on the net about them (Critical defense) not expanding? Just asking I cant remember where as I am on about 12 gun forums or so but I saw a thread with pics about them not doing well on expansion and ballistic performance. Just a heads up sir.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Have you seen the threads going around on the net about them not expanding? Just asking I cant remember where as I am on about 12 gun forums or so but I saw a thread with pics about them not doing well on expansion and ballistic performance. Just a heads up sir.

About which bullet not expanding? The PDX1, or the Critical Defense?

Edit: Oops, never mind, been answered LOL. I've not seen any reports of them not expanding after passing through the barriers (light and heavy clothing) that concern me as a private citizen. All the ones I've read show great performance through those barriers. I'd surely appreciate a link to some of those reports, though! I'm not averse to dumping it if it doesn't work, though I'd mourn the loss of superb accuracy.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra II, with Kimber Tac-mags.

I carry Gold Dots in mine, it's a 3" barrel and it's at 4'o clock in a crossbreed supertuck holster.

At first mine would not feed Gold Dots until I gave it a feed ramp polish, now any round cycles flawlessly.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Wolf and Blazer are the only way to go! :rockwoot:

jkjk

Seriosuly the only ammo I run through mine is Black Hills jhp 230gr. Unless Im in a pinch on target ammo funds and Ill buy some federal crap knowing a good scrubbing is on its way.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I carry three different .45s, a Kimber Custom, Kimber Ultra carry, and an XD Tactical. The Custom and XD are loaded with Federal 230 gr HST +P. The Ultra Carry gets 230gr Hydra Shok or HST standard pressure 230gr. All three are carried with a round chambered and the 1911s are cocked and locked. they are usually carried in an MTAC.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Federal Expanding Full Metal Jackets, Wilson ETM mags in a full size Kimber Custom Shop Gold Combat tucked into a Galco Royal Guardian IWB holster.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a few .45 and .38 Super and 10mm 1911s. Federal Hydra Shoks mostly and Cocked n Locked just like JMB designed it to be carried.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Hornaday tap ammo

+3

844082.jpg

:yesway:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    185 gr Speer GDHP in my Kimber Tactical Ultra II (3" barrel) carried OWB in either a Tucker/Garrett Industries STX Silent Thunder or a Tucker HF1.

230 gr. Winchester JHP in my Kimber T.L.E. II (5" barrel) carried OWB in a Blackhawk Serpa.

Use Kimber Pro-Tac Mags in both of them and have never had an issue with them.

I also like the Wilson Combat Mags, but prefer the Kimber Pro-Tacs.

Carry cocked and locked

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom