What age did you start your child in firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    I started firing a 22LR at 10, shotgun at 12, but then I got away from it. BB and pellet guns are a good start, first pump then CO2. Good way to get gun safety ingrained. After that I would recommend a 22 rifle.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I am giving my daughter her first rifle at 8 in a month for her birthday. Little cricket rifle.

My brother got her a cap gun(yes they still make them in china and sell them here). She started playing with it this weekend and we have given her the rules. I'll take her to a little range here after her birthday and let her shoot her .22 and start.

She has handle my pistols before....she's curious...but I'm going very cautiously.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I don't remember ever not being around guns. My dad always had them, and we learned very early to respect firearms and how to handle them safely. Curiosity killed the cat has been my thought process with my girls. I let them see, handle, and shoot under the direct supervision of myhusband or me. My ten year old daughter just finished her first .22 rifle program in 4-H. She loved it! Bought her first .22 rifle in pink with her own money she was saving for an I-pod. I agree with the post about age not being too important. Just make sure safety is the number one priority, and start them with guns that are easy to shoot. BB guns can be fun, but are often so inaccurate they can be discouraging. Little boys usually like things that go bang. They like the sense of power early on. However, your little princess may need to start a little slower. IMO, there is no right answer. Trust your gut. Good luck!

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    My oldest daughter was a little slow at picking up how to use a gun, she didn't show interest until about 10 or 11. My youngest daughter had it at 8 she wanted her own BB gun for Christmas.(she got it)
    Now my oldest daughter likes going to the range as much as I do & likes competing in shot gun spot shoots. My youngest has decided to make a career in the Army she has been in for almost 8 yrs now.
    I don't think you need to push it on them but as they pick up a curiosity about guns let them learn.(just teach them the right information as they show interest)
    Just don't push them to shoot big guns too quick. Let them start with BB guns or pellet guns then work them up slowly.

wolfeden

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Medaryville
    I started both of my sons at age 8. They got the first Red Rider BB gun for Christmas. This was the safety learning period. My oldest son now 27, wished at times he hadn't gotten that BB gun. I am very strict on gun safety/discipline and once in a while when he screwed up, he would get a headache. After they turned 9, then they learned how to use a Ruger 10/22. I wasn't as hard on them as my drill instructor was to me, but they got the point and they never forget the rules.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My sons and I used to shoot the BB guns in the back yard, they were probably 5 years old. It was a rare and fun filled occasion. By the time they were in middle school they knew how to fire, take down and clean AK-47's, Marlin Model 60's, SKSs, and several old South American bolt action Mauser types. They earned shooting awards at Boy Scout Camp.

They're in their 30's now...but it seems like last week. My wife would go shooting with us all the time as well. I remember winter mornings, getting everyone in the car and heading to Atterbury to shoot rifles...in the snow. We had a blast.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Started out with BB gun

Started both our daughter (now 22) and son (now 18) with learning to gun safety basics using a BB gun at age 10. Then at 12 they shot their first 22 rifle and pistol. Now, both of them enjoy shooting the mini-14 and 9mm pistol. When we can, we spend some great quality time together target shooting, with constant safety reminders.

Mad Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    White Co.
    Started my son at age 8, with a BB gun[red ryder]. At 9 he got a single shot 20 ga. and some squirrel hunting. At 10, I took him on his first deer hunt. He killed his 1st deer at age 11, and has been my best hunting buddy, ever since. He's 31 now, and we've hunted and taken a bunch of deer, been bear hunting together, and went on 2 African safaris together.

Mad Dog

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My son was exposed to guns early on. He's known there were guns in the house, and to leave them alone, from the time he could walk. He was going to watch me shoot by 5, shooting a .22 rifle by 6, and at 7 I bought him his own Savage Rascal.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    my oldest is 16 and goes shooting with her step-father a few times a year. she is the only one who has shot so far. I have 4 others age 11,8,7 and 5. They all help clean the guns but have yet to prove to me i can trust them to be safe. although i think this may be the year for the youngest. He learned fast to be good to get the good stuff lol.

Top Bottom