• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    Anyone taking classes through WGU? I have an AAS from Ivy Tech and air I thinking of getting my BS from WGU?

Give me the lowdown. Good, bad, ugly?

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I am currently taking classes...about 4 away from my BS. Great school...they do a LOT for the students and really make you apart despite being remote.

Good = LOTS of touch points and requirement to be engaged and in communication with the school

Bad = requirement to be engaged and in communication with the school.

If you are the type of person who needs/likes reminders and follow-up on where you stand in your work (you are assigned a mentor who calls you weekly) then its the place...if you don't like it then you either deal or don't go here.

Personally, while I don't like the mentor idea I like the school and should be done shortly.

Any questions just ask.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    Is this Western Governors University? I looked into MBA pricing and thought It was kinda pricey

Yes, Western Governers. The BS pricing is only about $6000 per year and you can complete as many courses as you are capable of in each term. Sounds pretty affordable. I didn't check MBA pricing of course

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Grad rate for 2011 was 22%, compared to an average of 54.9% for 4 year public schools.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    We looked into it..........bagged it when we found out testing required them observing you through a web cam. Creepy. Online courses are basically an open book test, so why does anyone sitting in there room somewhere need to observe you?

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    We looked into it..........bagged it when we found out testing required them observing you through a web cam. Creepy. Online courses are basically an open book test, so why does anyone sitting in there room somewhere need to observe you?

Because they want to make sure the person taking the test is the only one taking the test? You either do the webcam or go to a testing center for a proctor to watch you.

I'm in the MBA program now. I started on March 1 and finished the 8 hours of my first term a couple weeks ago. So the class I am working on now is putting me ahead of schedule. I'd like to have the degree done in 18 months, so the extra work is necessary. All of my assessments are "performance" assessments which pretty much means papers and projects.

I had a rough first month writing what they wanted to see and was ready to give up. The second class went a little smoother and the third one was great.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have; I was really disappointed in the enrollment people in Utah (the person that helped me in Indiana was better).

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I just finished my Bachelor of Science in Nursing. It was writing paper after paper. Eight classes total and about 32 papers in 11 months. I didnt find any difference between WGU and IPFW other than I didnt have to attend any dumba$$ lecture being taught by a TA. I spent about 12 hours a week working on my papers.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I just finished my Bachelor of Science in Nursing. It was writing paper after paper. Eight classes total and about 32 papers in 11 months. I didnt find any difference between WGU and IPFW other than I didnt have to attend any dumba$$ lecture being taught by a TA. I spent about 12 hours a week working on my papers.

Congrats on your BSN.

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    Notre Dame Executive MBA is over $80,000. I believe this includes a week or two weeks of overseas study in a two year program.

I believe they attend school 1 week a month for two years.

When I went the cost was $40,000 and we went one day per week.

I guess the current class must learn more than I did.

If anyone has interest in this program (torture) PM me and we can talk.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    After a phone interview today, I have decided to begin the admission process. Thanks for all the comments.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Have you already done the application? I think I can find a way to send you a referral to have the application fee waived.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    Have you already done the application? I think I can find a way to send you a referral to have the application fee waived.

I was just sitting down to start looking through the emails. A referral would be much appreciated.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    I just wanted to bump this back up as I finish my first term at WGU.

I have taken it easy this term and tried to feel my way through. I finished 16 credits (12 required). My wife is joining the Accounting program in April.
    It has not been what I would have expected from an online education. No open book tests , they do watch you as you test. You have to know the material. Lots and lots of papers to write. Grading is fair. Courses are well planned and chocked full of information.
    If you are considering college as an adult, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend WGU. Do your research and if you would like a referral, I can save you the application fee. PM me and I will return the favor that was given to me.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    That's great! My second term ends at the end of the month and I'll have 3 more classes to finish the degree. I never did spend the gift certificate to the school store they sent me for referring you ;)

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I have been considering go there for my BS in Network Administration. Has anyone took any IT or IS courses there? I have one friend that has and he seems a little fed up with it, which has caused me to second guess applying there.

gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    Who is hiring your degree from this place?

If I have two engineers apply for a position, one went to West Lafayette, the other to a satellite campus, I will hire the one that went to West Lafayette. There is a difference.

So find out who the potential employers are and what the are looking for. An easy degree is exactly that, does not mean employers will be knocking the doors down to hire you.
    :twocents:

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Who is hiring your degree from this place?

If I have two engineers apply for a position, one went to West Lafayette, the other to a satellite campus, I will hire the one that went to West Lafayette. There is a difference.

So find out who the potential employers are and what the are looking for. An easy degree is exactly that, does not mean employers will be knocking the doors down to hire you.
    :twocents:

I completely understand that. I know I wouldn't win out against someone that went to Wharton, but I doubt I'd be competing against such a person for a job I want. However, having a degree is better than not having a degree. I went back to school to learn more about the business process, and hopefully it will open some doors that were previously shut. Experience trumps all, but education can open a door to start getting experience.

It's about finding a program that fits your needs, time schedule, and budget. WGU gives people opportunities for education that may have otherwise been limited by one of those factors. I needed a state school, and I knew there was no way I would drive down to IUPUI or up to Ball State for classes. I also like the flexibility afforded by being able to set my own schedule. Like I mentioned, I've been able to accelerate my course work and I'm on track to be done in 18 months.

I will argue that this is not an "easy degree." Just because I don't drive in to campus doesn't mean I learn any more or less than someone that does.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom