We've officially lost war in Afghanistan, right?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    911 had a very loose association with Afghanistan, at best Bin Laden was in Afghanistan at some point which hardly justifies invading the entire country.
    A bunch of Saudi Arabians taking orders out of Yemen and training in the US attacked on 911.

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    911 had a very loose association with Afghanistan, at best Bin Laden was in Afghanistan at some point which hardly justifies invading the entire country.
    A bunch of Saudi Arabians taking orders out of Yemen and training in the US attacked on 911.

And if NSA did its job those middle easterners should not have been allowed inside the USA. Then 9/11 would not have even occurred.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    what on earth would the NSA have done?

Its in the pbs documentary 'spy factory', the NSA was tracking both ends of every call the terrorists were making outside the country, they listened to every call bin laden made. However they refused to share that info with the FBI who were in charge of tracking the terrorists in the states.

Really snowdens revelations are nothing new compared to what's revealed in that great documentary

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Its in the pbs documentary 'spy factory', the NSA was tracking both ends of every call the terrorists were making outside the country, they listened to every call bin laden made. However they refused to share that info with the FBI who were in charge of tracking the terrorists in the states.

Really snowdens revelations are nothing new compared to what's revealed in that great documentary

ah...I was thinking more of the physical sense

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    When we allow politicians to dictate the rules of war, whether it is Korea, Vietnam or Afghanistan, there can never be a victory.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    When we allow politicians to dictate the rules of war, whether it is Korea, Vietnam or Afghanistan, there can never be a victory.

Can you be more specific? I blame the politicians as well but not because of any rules they put on the war, because they go to war for profit and the wrong reasons in general. We didn't lose in Afghanistan because of any rules, we lost because the task at hand was impossible.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Every war has its winners and losers....

Winners:
    -Business's that profit from war

Losers:
    -All those who died (and the families they left behind) to line the pockets of the winners.
    -All those people who lost their liberties along the way.... (Citizens on both sides)

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Can you be more specific? I blame the politicians as well but not because of any rules they put on the war, because they go to war for profit and the wrong reasons in general. We didn't lose in Afghanistan because of any rules, we lost because the task at hand was impossible.

Specifically, I will put up my step-grandson as an example.
    He was in Afghanistan and they were not allowed to engage except under specific conditions in which they were sure no civilians would be injured. Didn't matter that the enemy was using them as a shield. Our boys could not fire back.
    They were not allowed to engage enemy combatants firing from a mosque. Any damage to a mosque was considered extremely forbidden.
    He watched a group of fighters tear an Afghan police unit to shreds from two blocks away but they were not allowed to intervene due to some policy even though the police unit was begging them to help. EDIT--his unit commander went as far up the line as he could to get permission to go their aid. He was denied by every officer he spoke to.
    All this because of rules put in place by the politicians, and in all fairness, probably from both US and Afgan politicians.
    These were just his examples. I'm sure there are plenty more out there.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Specifically, I will put up my step-grandson as an example.
    He was in Afghanistan and they were not allowed to engage except under specific conditions in which they were sure no civilians would be injured. Didn't matter that the enemy was using them as a shield. Our boys could not fire back.
    They were not allowed to engage enemy combatants firing from a mosque. Any damage to a mosque was considered extremely forbidden.
    He watched a group of fighters tear an Afghan police unit to shreds from two blocks away but they were not allowed to intervene due to some policy even though the police unit was begging them to help. EDIT--his unit commander went as far up the line as he could to get permission to go their aid. He was denied by every officer he spoke to.
    All this because of rules put in place by the politicians, and in all fairness, probably from both US and Afgan politicians.
    These were just his examples. I'm sure there are plenty more out there.

I know what the rules were, I'm saying that even if we let them shoot anything that moved, we still wouldn't 'win the war'. Afghanistan by design isn't capable of being won, no matter if there are strict rules of engagement or not.

Top Bottom