West Indy (Brownsburg) Transmission Shop?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Any recommendations?

My Jeep's auto transmission has started making some noise, and I'm taking it out of town next weekend. Any reputable shops in the Brownsburg or Avon area?

As for the noise - when cold/cool and accelerating in first/reverse, it can make a HORRIBLY loud buzzing/ratcheting sound. Not always, and less often once warmed up. The fluid level is fine. It has never been serviced, at least in the last 30K miles (has about 68K miles on it).

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Central Transmissions of Indiana up in Zionsville is an amazing shop. My Husband and the shop he works for both use them, and things have always turned out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A buddy of mine swears by the auto repair place across from DQ in Brownsburg. He even drives up from the area of Mann/465 they have treated him so well. (he used to live in BBurg)

Not sure if they do transmissions or not though.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A buddy of mine swears by the auto repair place across from DQ in Brownsburg. He even drives up from the area of Mann/465 they have treated him so well. (he used to live in BBurg)

Not sure if they do transmissions or not though.

That's Brownsburg Muffler. Jeff (the owner) and his guys do top-notch work, are honest and fair. I don't know if they do transmissions repairs. They can certainly remove and reinstall the gearbox for you.

Not many shops work on transmissions in-house anymore. Most of the kids have never split a case, and most of the old guys are too busy moaning about how much better things used to be to be bothered to look at it.

Central, in Zionsville is a great shop...you can't go wrong there.
    McKinneys, on Lafayette Road in Indy, does outstanding work on domestics.

I have repaired auto and manual transmissions over the years (VW), the work actually appeals to me...but it's fiddly and tedious, and requires special tools.

Have you considered sourcing a rebuilt or used transmission and paying a shop to install it? (Or even install it yourself?)

Which transmission does it have equipped?

-Paul

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    You sure it aint the trasnfer case? (assuming you got 4x4). Check the obvious first. Fluid level in tranny(tranny dipstick) and the transfer case (you have to pull the top plug and atf should be there near the bottom of the hole). Seen any leaking evidence lately? Auto trans do not normally make a ratcheting noise during failure. A transfer case when ran dry will. Hopefully you dont have a bushing or bearing going out in either!

Good luck!

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Avon Transmission. Have done me right on 2 vehicles. Owner is a BIG 2nd ammd supporter.

Jeff and Dave at BBurg Muffler are GREAT guys but I dont think they get into transmissions much.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You sure it aint the trasnfer case? (assuming you got 4x4). Check the obvious first. Fluid level in tranny(tranny dipstick) and the transfer case (you have to pull the top plug and atf should be there near the bottom of the hole). Seen any leaking evidence lately? Auto trans do not normally make a ratcheting noise during failure. A transfer case when ran dry will. Hopefully you dont have a bushing or bearing going out in either!

Good luck!

Fluid level is spot on, on both the trans and t-case. The noise is most noticeable right at the front of the transmission. The fact that it happens only in first and reverse (which share some gearing) makes me thing transmission.

I've never heard anything like this, either. After some internet research, I may drop in a new filter and fluid. That appears to clear up a LOT of issues. I guess this transmission is known to be fairly weak and temperamental.

@PaulF - Until I know what the problem is, I'm not swapping in a whole new trans. Heck, if I go through that, I may just swap in a manual.

Of course, it hasn't made the noise the rest of the day. Runs fine, and shifts just like usual. Maybe it will fix itself? :rolleyes:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Fluid level is spot on, on both the trans and t-case. The noise is most noticeable right at the front of the transmission. The fact that it happens only in first and reverse (which share some gearing) makes me thing transmission.

I've never heard anything like this, either. After some internet research, I may drop in a new filter and fluid. That appears to clear up a LOT of issues. I guess this transmission is known to be fairly weak and temperamental.

@PaulF - Until I know what the problem is, I'm not swapping in a whole new trans. Heck, if I go through that, I may just swap in a manual.

Of course, it hasn't made the noise the rest of the day. Runs fine, and shifts just like usual. Maybe it will fix itself? :rolleyes:

NUH-UH.... Transmissions NEVER fix themselves....they get worse until there is a fatal failure.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom