• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Were you aggin 'em before being fer 'em?

• Total voters

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    I grew up around my grandparent's cattle ranch. Rifles were always sitting around and most commonly used for controlling prairie dogs and ground squirrels (they were always invading the ranch and propagating), and of course hunting, or even putting down sick cattle. I was given my first .22 rifle when I was 11 and kept it in my closet throughout high school, even with ammo sitting beside it. (Shocking!) The rifle was well worn and passed down to me, something I treasure to this day. My dad also had some other guns in the house such as a loaded handgun in his bedroom that we knew about. Again, we knew better never to touch it. (Shocking!)

I'll note that on the ranch, an uncle of mine, many years before me died at the age of 12 in an accident with a .22. No one ever blamed the rifle for it. My dad and grandpa spent plenty of time instructing me, including even my grandma. I had a stern warning one time from my dad for something minor. It was minor, but still, dad was making a big deal out of it that I needed to always treat a gun with utmost respect and care. I also saw firsthand what a little .22 that I shot did to a fat prairie dog.

As soon as I was 18, I went and bought another rifle. Dad was an NRA member, and I've also become an NRA life member. I've converted my wife to shooting (who once asked while we were dating in a nervous voice, "You have guns in the house?"). My interest has continued and it's apart of me. I don't have a problem with telling (I'm sure) anti-gun co-workers and the likes that I'm an NRA member like I'd say that I go to church on Sunday. I'm just a regular guy, and guns are apart of my life like a bowl of Grape Nuts in the morning.

Top Bottom