• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    One thing that nobody has mentioned that really bugs me about atterybury is their "no rapid fire" policy i guess i understand they dont want someone firing 15 rounds as fast as they can but the RO got on me and my brother for doing double taps or two quick shots which is totally safe and fun.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    One thing that nobody has mentioned that really bugs me about atterybury is their "no rapid fire" policy i guess i understand they dont want someone firing 15 rounds as fast as they can but the RO got on me and my brother for doing double taps or two quick shots which is totally safe and fun.

That's my biggest gripe with Atterbury. I haven't been able to practice a follow-up shot with a rifle for over 10 years.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield

Yeah they were getting on people about rapid fire......... apparently it is safer....

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Is this another OMG I hate the rules? Yes, the range is owned by the DNR but leased to the Indiaba Gun Club. Technicaly, the Federal Government owns that land and it's leased to the State. I have said it before, and I'll say it again. If you do not like the rules then don't shoot there. It's the nicest range without driving 45 minutes plus. The rules are in place because there are a lot of idiots there. Just look at all the patching in the baffles. How hard is to lock the slide/bolt back so they can tell your gun is safe? It seems some can not follow simple rules even though they are stated over the intercom. As for brass, I collect all my brass, and others if they do not keep it. I also often rummage through the buckets. No one says a thing to me about it.

Last edited:

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    Yes, that totally annoys the hell out of me too. I really like the range, but the no rapid fire thing is unfair, in my opinion. I understand that they dont wnat someone with a glock 18 coming in there spraying bullets everywhere, but come on, theres nothing wrong with double or even triple taps, as long as you keep the muzzle pointed downrange. I got a slide fire kit for my AR and cant even use it over there because of the rules. They have gotten on me a few times for double taps. I think its ridiculous.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Is this another OMG I hate the rules? Yes, the range is owned by the DNR but leased to the Indiaba Gun Club. Technicaly, the Federal Government owns that land and it's leased to the State. I have said it before, and I'll say it again. If you do not like the rules then don't shoot their. It's the nicest range without driving 45 minutes plus. The rules are in place because there are a lot of idiots there. Just look at all the patching in the baffles. How hard is to lock the slide/bolt back so they can tell your gun is safe? It seems some can not follow simple rules even though they are stated over the intercom. As for brass, I collect all my brass, and others if they do not keep it. I also often rummage through the buckets. No one says a thing to me about it.

:yesway::yesway::yesway:

rotorwash720

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    The taxpayers paid for the range to be built at a DNR location. DNR makes the rules of no holstered weapons, no rapid firing, no double taps, ect. The people who have leased both the Skeet/Trap and Pistol/Rifle also own Indy Gun Club. They signed a contract with DNR to run the range under DNR guidelines and also do the hiring of the Range Safety Officers (RSO). If you have other questions about the what's what at the range, just ask. All the people working at the range are always willing to help to keep things going in a safe direction. I spend quite a bit of time at Atterbury Range and have always been treated very fairly. After seeing what they deal with on a daily basis I take my hat off to them all.
    THANKS Amanda, Buzz, Frank, Joe and Butch keep up the good work, you guys are the best!!!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The taxpayers paid for the range to be built at a DNR location. DNR makes the rules of no holstered weapons, no rapid firing, no double taps, ect. The people who have leased both the Skeet/Trap and Pistol/Rifle also own Indy Gun Club. They signed a contract with DNR to run the range under DNR guidelines and also do the hiring of the Range Safety Officers (RSO). If you have other questions about the what's what at the range, just ask. All the people working at the range are always willing to help to keep things going in a safe direction. I spend quite a bit of time at Atterbury Range and have always been treated very fairly. After seeing what they deal with on a daily basis I take my hat off to them all.
    THANKS Amanda, Buzz, Frank, Joe and Butch keep up the good work, you guys are the best!!!

:yesway: ^^^^This^^^^ :yesway:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus

Well said.

ar1973

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Story ,IN
    I use to shoot there 3 times a week for 10 years before they built the new range when it was free .I went 1 time rite after it reopened and havent been back since . Im not gonna pay and not get to shoot . Im not the only one I have several friends that wont go back either. just my 2 cents I say boycot.

Last edited:

ekg98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    I have stopped visiting Atterbury in the past few years. I found ranges like Crosley so much nicer to shoot at. Too many range nazi make it a hostile environment.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have stopped visiting Atterbury in the past few years. I found ranges like Crosley so much nicer to shoot at. Too many range nazi make it a hostile environment.

Yeah, playing by the rules can be pretty tough. And all those Nazis goose-stepping around are really annoying. :rolleyes:

:horse:

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So if the property is state property and you have to follow the rules/regs that the DNR set. Then how can they regulate holster carry. If you want to CC or OC and not shoot your carry gun wouldnt that be in violation of the new state law?

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Yeah, Im paying to shoot, would prefer to clean up at the end..... being remineded about it every cease fire is annoying.
    You can shoot all day and pick up your brass at the end. Your choice. I try to remind people every 3rd cease fire, just to inform the new people that shoot there.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    So if the property is state property and you have to follow the rules/regs that the DNR set. Then how can they regulate holster carry. If you want to CC or OC and not shoot your carry gun wouldnt that be in violation of the new state law?

I'm guessing not. You can always hire a lawyer and test that out though.

Top Bottom