• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    The older guy was asked by someone if he could pick up brass, old guy said just the brass he was shooting, said that the other brass is gathered and the lady that owns the place does something with it.... ok cool whatever.

Was also told that the rules that are in place are DNR rules so they have to abide by them.....

Last I checked that placs USED to be run by DNR and is now owned by a private party, hear them saying that some lady owned it. Soooo if it is not longer DNR why are they saying they have to abide by the DNR rules? Also their site is a .com, not .gov or anything.

There is nothing on the site about it being DNR...... Not sure why they don't just say it is their rules instead of saying it is DNR rules....

?????

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Always struck me as strange I have to pick up my own brass but I also have to PAY to shoot there. Not really a problem as I always clean up my own messes, anyway, but I have had one or two goobs try and guilt me into picking up brass after 2 hot range intervals, like I'm even close to done littering the ground. [customers not ROs, only one of their ROs has ever struck me as an *******]

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Always struck me as strange I have to pick up my own brass but I also have to PAY to shoot there. Not really a problem as I always clean up my own messes, anyway, but I have had one or two goobs try and guilt me into picking up brass after 2 hot range intervals, like I'm even close to done littering the ground. [customers not ROs, only one of their ROs has ever struck me as an *******]

Yeah, Im paying to shoot, would prefer to clean up at the end..... being remineded about it every cease fire is annoying.

LEADHEAD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    SHELBYVILLE
    :twocents: I shoot at Atterbury some. I believe the DNR owns the range and it is leased to a vendor. This is the second vendor that I know of. I can understand how it may seem a hassle at times, but it is a great facillity and a vast improvment over the free for all that it used to be.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    :twocents: I shoot at Atterbury some. I believe the DNR owns the range and it is leased to a vendor. This is the second vendor that I know of. I can understand how it may seem a hassle at times, but it is a great facillity and a vast improvment over the free for all that it used to be.

I just find it odd that you hear that it is leased, are told some lady owns it, hear DNR owns it....

More curious then anything I guess.

A free for all with that many shooters would be dangerous.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    100% without a doubt, the facility is owned by the State of Indiana

100% without a doubt, the facility is leased and ran by the same folks that run Indiana Gun Club.

Period.

Brass is brass. Prove it isn't mine. I've shot there dozens of times and while there were buckets provided for policing brass and shooters were expected to do so, nobody ever looked to see who was taking what. I shoot bolt guns and my brass is precious.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    So maybe the "lady" is the state............... wow........... maybe he meant to say "run".

I know it has been mentioned before but when you are checking to make sure guns are safe and see the slide locked back and the ejection port is pointed up so the range officer can see that the chamber is empty YOU DON'T HAVE TO PICK UP ALL THE GUNS TO CHECK THEM. I came a second away from saying something to the guy in the had in his early 40's or so.....

The older guy never touched them and never has and I like that.

Second thought, if a rifle does not have the bolt back it is often better to ask the people in the area who's gun it is rater than picking it up and trying to open it yourself.

At least in my line of work they tell you to never touch other peoples stuff...... things magically break after you leave when you do....

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Well, it's their range and they'll do whatever they want to ensure that the firing line is safe and cold.

I give them no reason - I remove the bolt from my gun and lay it on the bench next to the buttstock of my rifle.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Well, it's their range and they'll do whatever they want to ensure that the firing line is safe and cold.

I give them no reason - I remove the bolt from my gun and lay it on the bench next to the buttstock of my rifle.

I agree it is their rules and all but figured with the mag out, slide locked back and the ejection port pointed up that that would not require touching.... they even say to remove the mack and like the bolt or slide back.... all well, maybe Ill have to go back and hope they drop one of them.....:rockwoot::D

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I was there yesterday and there was brass everywhere. I did my best to get mine up but there is no way I could get all of it. My AR often ejects it over the line and I can't get to it safely. Honestly when in the hell can you we do a good job of picking up our brass? The only time is during cease fires and that isn't very long. Their brooms suck too.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus

Correct, correct and correct. ;)

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I was there yesterday and there was brass everywhere. I did my best to get mine up but there is no way I could get all of it. My AR often ejects it over the line and I can't get to it safely. Honestly when in the hell can you we do a good job of picking up our brass? The only time is during cease fires and that isn't very long. Their brooms suck too.

Yeah a lot of mine crossed the red line also.... felt I was pushing my lucking trying to get it during cease fire....

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    The issue of spent brass is pretty acute at ranges where the brass lies on concrete, such as at Atterbury. Many shooters do not pick up nor sweep up at all and the shooting area can become hazardous to anyone walking over it. Couple this fact with the horrendous amount of liability the range operators must take on to run the range it makes prudent sense to police casings often. I treat brass in much the same manor as loose spent pieces of gold! I have policed up more of other peoples brass over the years than I have of my own.
    :patriot:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I am not going to disagree with clean up. We usually go with 2 or 3 people, but when I am by myself shooting an AR and someone "steals" my brass since my back is turned is wrong. I shot 50 or so, loaded up and left. I was ready to go and that was the icing on the cake. Never even saw them and neither did anyone else.

Pistol side we clean as we go. Also check to see what our neighbors are shooting to make sure nothing I take is anything that they need/want. I can't watch all the brass. Just grab what I think is ours.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I don't consider cleaning up the brass any problem at all. Most of my brass flies into the area to my right, so I try to pick it up there. I also clean my own lane, of mine and other brass, being careful not to pick up brass that someone intends to reload(I'll usually ask), and if they are reloading, I'll help them retrieve theirs. A little courtesy and friendliness goes a long way.
    Atterbury is a beautiful range, and I want it to stay that way.
    On a side note.......Dang it, I didn't make it to Atterbury again last weekend.:( Really need to go......My wife needs to go too. She missed the last couple trips, but I'm sure she knows that "shopping" is not a viable alternative. :)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Range choice

It is threads like this that keep me going to Crosley on weekday mornings. No crowds, no BS, safe as I make it, 200 yards available, nobody fighting for my brass, and no range fee. Pretty nice drive early on a fall morning, too.

Now and then, there will be somebody come through looking for brass but they have always asked before picking where somebody is shooting. Yesterday, a lady came by the 100 yard line looking for brass and I told her we'd left about 50 pieces of .40 S&W at the short range. When we left she waved and said "Thanks. I got it."

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    When I shoot at Atterbury, I use brass catchers on my AR's. I do it to keep my brass from bothering the other shooters on the ranges close to me. It also is nice when shooting something like the .458 SOCOM and not having to watch/wonder where my little gold chunks flew to. There is nothing like trying to shoot a tight group with a bolt gun and having someones hot brass hitting you. Every time I shoot there, I always leave with extra brass.

himant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    how do they know if it what you shot or not,, pretty soon the will be checking to see if its warm to the touch !!!

himant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    sorry,,just trying to find a little humor it lifes rules/games,,seems like the laws of stupidly are growing all around me ! either that or i just pay more attention these days.cant stop asking WHY?

Top Bottom