• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I've been in town from Ft. Worth visiting some friends and family in the New Albany and Bloomington area and I brought some of my toys with me. Well, today we were looking to exercise the toys and my Google search gave me bad news about a range in Bloomington. So we packed up our stuff and headed to Atterbury because I had heard mostly positive things about it.

We got there around 12:45 - 1:00 and I was very impressed by the size and general upkeep of the range. We grabbed some targets and hit the 50 yard range first with the AK. After that, we went down and shot the pistols. She got a chance to use her KelTec P11 that I bought her. She told me after shooting all three that she likes my G19 a lot more....:( Looks like I'm in the market for another G19 now.

Here are some pics and a big +1 to Atterbury's staff and the two gentlemen next to us shooting their Rugers! Not sure if you guys are INGO members, but we appreciated you letting us shoot them and giving us the great information.

DSC00370.jpg

Gotta love the old style safety goggles....

DSC00369.jpg

This is her testing out the G19 vs. the P11....you'll never guess who won.

DSC00373.jpg

DSC00376.jpg

This was her first time shooting "real" guns. First shot she took was from the AK. Needless to say, she's hooked..:D

Overall great time! Wish I could've met some INGOers there, but when I went to post up that we were heading to the range.....the site was migrating!!! But it's ok, I'll catch you guys next time!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    As a former NRA instructor it baffles me why almost every time some one posts a picture of women shooting they are invariably leaning back in an attempt to get further away from the gun so far that they look like a good breeze could blow them over. I have taught hundreds of women to shoot and every one of them began by leaning backwards away from the gun. Once we got them to stop doing that they're scores went up dramatically. Try to get them to lean into it with their shoulders in front of their hips and see what happens.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    As a former NRA instructor it baffles me why almost every time some one posts a picture of women shooting they are invariably leaning back in an attempt to get further away from the gun...

Yup. Even some guys do it. The problem is mindset. Most people are now so conditioned by Hollywood and mass media, that guns are looked upon, and thought of as, some magical contraband item that is extremely dangerous. I also believe that scientific education, the lack thereof, is another reason. People instinctively picture the forces of the gun as super massive or something. I think people like this really need to shoot hundreds upon hundreds of rounds before they finally get comfortable. They also need to think logically when it comes to the physics of the gun. Another thing, which one photo in this thread shows, is that people who don't think of guns like most of us do can't keep their finger off the trigger. Finger is constantly inside the trigger guard area. I have even seen military folks (WW2 generation) do this. Again, it all has to do with repetition and a mental comfort with guns. Most people just don't have that. Even some "gun people" use horrible form when handling their guns. Some guy at Pop's had his XD jam and he was at a total loss on what to do. He swept me and three other guys with the barrel. We yelled and told him to keep it pointed down range. Some folks just don't grasp the physical idea of an imaginary line running from the barrel and always keeping that line pointed down range. Sometimes I think all guns should come with lasers. That way we can tell the mentally challenged "Never, ever move the red dot off the berm."

snakeeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Traders Point
    Atterbury Range

It looks like you all had fun! :)

My friend had his bachelor party on the trap and skeet range at Atterbury, and it worked out well for all involved. I took my PCR out to 100 yards on the rifle range and broke in the LCP there, nice facility, just wish it was closer to me.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I was there 3 weeks ago and three women were shooting. Most females I've seen there, probably only 10 total. Was a good day for diversity. Lady next to me had some giant pistol but when it went "cough" I realized it was just a .22. Her husband was blasting his .45 1911. Made my 9mm casings feel inadequate next to his.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Really like shooting at Atterbury. I try to make it at least a couple of times a month sometimes more. Always have a good time and like the staff.:rockwoot:

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    For me, it usually starts out with someone I take to the range not even putting shots on the paper. After 5 rounds or so, I like to say something like, "I like to do it this way." I'll then show them how to grip high and position their hands with the thumbs riding up. I show them how to extend and lean into the gun and after that, they usually bring the groups much tighter.

It was a bigger fight to get her friend to lean in because she was still afraid of the gun going off. We got there in the end and both of them were grouping 90% of their shots within 4 inches.

Overall, it was a learning experience and my lady has definitely gotten much better over the last year. She went from being absolutely terrified wouldn't-even-look-at-a-gun to asking me to bring the AK with me. :D

iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    I love going to atterbury! It was the first place i took my mosin and my taurus and the staff there was awesome. They are very safe about shooting and willing to give you a few pointers if you haven't been shooting as long (Like myself) And the price really cant be beat compared to the indoor ranges here in Indy.

Top Bottom