• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Auctioneers really know how to work the suckers. I compare them to carnival games. Once a carny get his hooks in he can fleece a sucker in no time.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    Firearms draws people with money to an auction. There want be any bargains when that happens. Add the auction premiums, additions fees and sales tax and you likely will be over paying for what you get. However, If it's something special then you may want to be a bidder/buyer. Occasionally, the crowds will be light and the auction fairies with bless you with a gift. Had this happen on an ALN stainless steel Ruger Redhawk 44 mag with 7.5 inch barrel...... walked out the door with a fantastic revolver for less than 500.00. That's why you go to auctions. On the other hand.....this coming weekend Wick's Auction has a 15% premium, a 15.00 BG check fee, credit card fee and 7% sales tax. You would be better off buying at a local store.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Why would anyone care what someone else pays for guns or ammo? Oh, they thought they were going to bargain hunt and got outbid.

Nothing to see here.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    When you're a seller, auctions are a wonderful thing. You get several individuals with deep pockets and competitive juices wanting your item, just sit back and listen to that cash register ring.

The only person making money is the auctioneer. 45-55% of sale price, then add in setup fees, cleanup fees, table rentals, and all the other JUNK fees they add and you are lucky if you get 20-25% of what the auction price was. If you doubt my figures, go talk to an auctioneer yourself and you'll NEVER let them near your stuff!

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Why would anyone care what someone else pays for guns or ammo? Oh, they thought they were going to bargain hunt and got outbid.

Nothing to see here.
    This is a discussion forum is it not? The OP was discussing an experience related to guns, which I think is relevant to the gun buying situation, and interesting for me to see I'm not the only one with that experience. If you don't like it, MOVE THE HELL ON, instead of complaining that a thread on ingo isn't interesting to you. Takes all kinds.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I suppose that once in a while someone picks up a deal at an auction, but my limited experience is that the one that I have attended everything sold for more than it's retail value. It's fine if one enjoys going to them. I never liked sitting around for hours and finally getting to bid on something of interest. It pays to inspect the items of interest beforehand. I've seen guns on tables that looked ok, but when turned over were badly pitted. Even though gun show prices are now inflated, I think I can get a better deal at one than at the typical gun auction.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Ditto to the experience that most others have had. I have gotten some of the best deals of my life at auctions, but they have certainly been the exceptions. The thing that has always mystified me at auctions has been the number of people who don't pay much attention to the condition of the gun. A gun in poor condition will often sell at the same price as one in good shape at the same auction. There is a strange competitive dynamic that goes on at auctions that is responsible for many of the weird results.

A really odd situation that involved me was one where I went specifically for a particular gun, but there were several bayonets that came up first. I bid on the bayonets but was outbid for every one of them by the same guy. When the gun I was interested in came up the same guy bid against me. He had a horrified look on his face when I dropped out of the bidding for the gun. The auctioneer noticed and asked him if he had just won a gun that he didn't really want and he shook his head yes. The auctioneer told him that he shouldn't bid on things he didn't want and moved on. Apparently the guy was just trying to drive up the price because I had bid on the bayonets that he wanted. It was really odd because I went home empty handed, he won everything he wanted, and yet he was the one who went home pissed off.

Top Bottom