• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    i went into work monday sick as a dog. I called off and went to the doctors and went back to work today(friday) an hour after i get there. i was approached by the shop surpervisor and told to go home and he will give me a call on monday, they were restructuring the company. I guess he told all non supervisors to go home. Electrical supervisor doesnt seem to know anything about this or isnt spilling the beans.1 1/2 years ago I took a paycut from this company so they wouldnt lay people off then 6 months later they laid alot of people off anyways. stopped paying isurance and stopped paying into our 401k plans. and stop paying for our uniforms. now they want to restructure the company which usually means less pay and no benefits. My bills have risen to the point that i only make enough now to survive, how am i going to make it on less? Or no job at all? Is it wrong that i want to draw the line in the sand i say no more just lay me off? I never got any of the raises that were promised to me when i started and i was forced into overtime at the cost of a few great relationships.I know some of you are going to tell me i should be greatful to have a job but i dont think you fully understand all the broken promises and lies i have put up with in the last 3 1/2years.yes i need a job and no i dont want a handout from obama, but where do i draw the line? I have been an electrician in one way or another for the last 10 years. And i barely make an apprentice wage.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Up side is if you do get laid off there's a bunch of us that shoot during the week days.:)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Eldirector is right: NO such thing as company loyalty anymore. I worked for a plastics company selling and administration. I even filled in for some sick production guys, PLUS my duties inside. Worked 60-70 hours a week for crap salary. The owner of the company was all about loyalty, work ethic and commitment. He then began to crap on everyone and set the company up in a really weird way, pretty much rewarding the laziest and highest paid people. Small family companies that proclaim things like "Loyalty" are for the birds. Business is business, dont learn it the hard way.

Elections? Maybe even January. January, businesses get to know if they are going to be run roughshod in taxes or not (from what I have been told). Would not depend on the unions to do it for you either (not just anti-union speech). Its about YOU and what YOU can do for YOU. Who do you trust? Not me. No, not him either. YOU. :D

You sound like you got some ethic and some FIRE in you. Apply to places, even if that skank at the front says they aren't hiring. Get your resume out there. Heck, send me your resume, I'll look her over, see if we can spruce it up a bit. Sounds like you need an upgrade, not just a new job. Experience counts and it sounds like you have it. And dont listen to naysayers, no-jobs-out-there-types, Fox News or any of that stuff. Jobs are out there, but YOU (there's that word again) have to grab 'em! :D

NOW GO GET 'EM! :) :ar15:

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    disposible heart i do have some fire in me. i love doing electrical work especially trouble shooting. I Use to really love this place until i found out what it was really like. Then I just stopped caring about them. After that it was all about how i can top myself in how it looks and how it works that was the bottom line for me. They never told us we were laid off though, just that they were restructuring which im still going to find a new job anyway. I found out a little bit ago they did lay off 5 of the new guys yesterday and then pulled this today. I honestly dont know what to think now.but seeing how they have acted in the past this is a lay off, they just never came out and said it.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Keep your job and then start putting your resume out there and look for a better one. Better than drawing a sand in the line and having no job and having to look for one with a whole lot more stress.

JiNx0036

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Michigan City
    They're always hiring for electricians up here in NWI. I think ArcelorMittal is still going through their hiring spike. Went in about a month ago and they were looking for people with electrical or mechanical experience.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    They're always hiring for electricians up here in NWI. I think ArcelorMittal is still going through their hiring spike. Went in about a month ago and they were looking for people with electrical or mechanical experience.

i might have to do that. because of them being so antigun and fighting the bring your gun to work day bill, i really wanted to stay away from them. i would also have to work sundays and i feel thats the lords day.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    It's a plus for you that you have a trade. Your relationship partners should have been more understanding. Since they left you in fruitful times, they probably would have in hard times. Your better off finding someone else.

Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    i might have to do that. because of them being so antigun and fighting the bring your gun to work day bill, i really wanted to stay away from them. i would also have to work sundays and i feel thats the lords day.

There are probably plenty of electrical workers who don't have political and religious roadblocks to employment. I'm not in the electrical field, but if I was, I would beat you out of a job every day of the week. I'm available 24/7, I don't talk politics at work, and I'll move across the state (have done that) or across the country for a well-paying position to provide for my family.

Might sound harsh, but the most versatile and flexible worker will get the job in a shaky economy. You can certainly choose the conditions you will work under, but don't complain when the work is there and the only thing holding you back is you. Companies exist to make a profit, not to cater to employee political and religious ideologies.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    where did politics come from? About me carrying my gun? have you been thru the neighborhood where they are located? it isnt pretty.And sorry but i have to have atleast one thing in life to believe in.as far as flexible? i have work sometimes up to 16hrs a day to get their work done. 11hrs a day 6 days a week was fairly normal for them and i did it for 3 1/2 yrs, if that isnt flexible i dont know what is.All i ask for is one day so that i may show some appreciation.

Last edited:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Up side is if you do get laid off there's a bunch of us that shoot during the week days.:)

THIS ;):D

Been there done that. Eventually you get to the point where enough is enough. Nothing wrong with that. There's nothing like hiring in and then having your pay cut 13% one month later :rolleyes: It's ok though---in two years the pay went up 9 cents. :n00b: Start looking elsewhere, and once you have a job offer in hand take a walk :twocents:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA

Yes they most definitely are. I attended a meeting with their hiring manager a week ago and they are hiring aggressively as long as you have electrical/engineering experience. That's definitely worth a shot.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    well 10:34 and i have not heard a thing from work yet. i was up a 5am till almost 6 and decided to go back to bed just got up at 10:00. no phone call yet. will update when i hear something.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Yes they most definitely are. I attended a meeting with their hiring manager a week ago and they are hiring aggressively as long as you have electrical/engineering experience. That's definitely worth a shot.
    thats good to know. im going to see if i can put an app in for them.

Top Bottom