• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I am fortunate enough to live in the city and be on a well, however this means my water supply disappears when/if the power goes out. The upside is that it is not a very deep well, but I think the water level might be below the 34' threshold that I have read about for a standard hand pump.

I will need to pull the cap and get a measurement on the depth to the water line, but for now let's say it is near/above the 34' mark. Any suggestions on a hand pump? I have a pitless adapter, so the electric pump, adapter, and lines would be removed in order to fit the hand pump on the top of the casing.

If I find the water to be below 34', we will start talking about deep(er) well options.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know the well you speak of. I knew you were close You can get diaphragm style pumps that will lift that far. Some are air driven and some are electric. Also have hand operated. Do you have a Genny.
    Look in the Graingers wish book at the pumps. If they no longer offer them PM me and I can get you the info.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I know the well you speak of. I knew you were close You can get diaphragm style pumps that will lift that far. Some are air driven and some are electric. Also have hand operated. Do you have a Genny.
    Look in the Graingers wish book at the pumps. If they no longer offer them PM me and I can get you the info.
    Oh you do, do you? haha

Looking for hand operated options right now. I don't have a large generator, yet. However, a hand pump is currently a little more feasible and easily bought than a generator, so it's the option I am leaning toward.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Oh you do, do you? haha

Looking for hand operated options right now. I don't have a large generator, yet. However, a hand pump is currently a little more feasible and easily bought than a generator, so it's the option I am leaning toward.

Yeah, but a generator install is 10 times easier than a well pump install. You don't need a big generator for a well pump, a good $700 to $900 generator will handle most of what you need. I have a 5000 watt unit that handles pumps, Furnice, microwave, some lights and some outlets as well as the hot water heater. I got it at lowes for like $700 bucks. Well worth it, however it's always good to have back ups for your back up so still having a hand well would not be a bad idea. The way I approach prepping is what can I do first and foremost that will allow me those recourses immediately if needed. The generator fit my plan because it covers multiple areas, such as heat, water, hot water, and electricity. Just my :twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh you do, do you? haha

I think I do. Or at least I am close. Well, I have a couple of gennys and am looking at another. I am close so do what you need to. Grainger used to handle a wide variety of the diaphragm style pumps. They have more lift capability with less energy. Some adaptation will be required I am sure but I am an HVAC/fitter by trade. No worries.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Yeah, but a generator install is 10 times easier than a well pump install. You don't need a big generator for a well pump, a good $700 to $900 generator will handle most of what you need. I have a 5000 watt unit that handles pumps, Furnice, microwave, some lights and some outlets as well as the hot water heater. I got it at lowes for like $700 bucks. Well worth it, however it's always good to have back ups for your back up so still having a hand well would not be a bad idea. The way I approach prepping is what can I do first and foremost that will allow me those recourses immediately if needed. The generator fit my plan because it covers multiple areas, such as heat, water, hot water, and electricity. Just my :twocents:
    In my current state, a well pump install would be 100x easier than a generator install. In order to hook up a generator I would need to wire the panel to accept it, and it is not currently setup for that. I do, however, have some plans in mind for this. I have a detached garage and I am going to be dropping in a piece of 2" conduit to run some additional lines out there. I am considering putting in larger supply lines for the garage that could be converted to back feed a generator into the house. This would allow me to just plug the generator into a 220v plug and have it secured in the garage, also possibly reducing the noise signature. I've been looking at the Generac units, I think around the 6500w range.

I totally agree with you on generator over just a manual pump, but I haven't taken the plunge into buying a generator yet. I don't have the cash readily available and would rather not put it on a credit card.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In my current state, a well pump install would be 100x easier than a generator install. In order to hook up a generator I would need to wire the panel to accept it, and it is not currently setup for that. I do, however, have some plans in mind for this. I have a detached garage and I am going to be dropping in a piece of 2" conduit to run some additional lines out there. I am considering putting in larger supply lines for the garage that could be converted to back feed a generator into the house. This would allow me to just plug the generator into a 220v plug and have it secured in the garage, also possibly reducing the noise signature. I've been looking at the Generac units, I think around the 6500w range.

I totally agree with you on generator over just a manual pump, but I haven't taken the plunge into buying a generator yet. I don't have the cash readily available and would rather not put it on a credit card.

You can achieve 6500 watts cheaper than the Generac systems. They are great and do the job but many manuf. Offer something in that delivery range for far less. Consider a used unit. Just no construction pieces. Times are tough and folks are selling things they deem not needed. Just a thought.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I think I do. Or at least I am close. Well, I have a couple of gennys and am looking at another. I am close so do what you need to. Grainger used to handle a wide variety of the diaphragm style pumps. They have more lift capability with less energy. Some adaptation will be required I am sure but I am an HVAC/fitter by trade. No worries.
    If you've lived here as long as you say, then you probably know/knew some of the people that lived on my street or possibly in my house.

I'm considering trying to attempt drilling my own well just to put a manual pump head on. I could put it out of the way, it would always be ready to go, I could use it any time I needed, and I wouldn't need to remove my current pump just to install it. I don't think I would need to go too deep, and I had planned on putting together a Monolith style water filtration setup anyways which I could use for the water if I needed to drink/use it long term.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    You can achieve 6500 watts cheaper than the Generac systems. They are great and do the job but many manuf. Offer something in that delivery range for far less. Consider a used unit. Just no construction pieces. Times are tough and folks are selling things they deem not needed. Just a thought.
    Ideally I would like one of the auto-on, dedicated natural gas units, but I just can't justify it. If I lived in a climate more prone to power outages I could swing it, but I don't want to spend that much money for something that will probably get used once every 5 years. I would also prefer something I could use places other than the house. The NG units will also only work as long as they are still pumping NG.

I know this is derailing from my original topic, but what generators do you find to be more economical?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good idea. Yes I probably have been in the house before. Lived around here since 1954. The area I think you are in was already built.
    Any help you may need even advice just let me know. I have re-wired so many of these homes already. I am off to Dons Range (Yuch!!) as we have severe cabin fever and need to blow stuff up.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Good idea. Yes I probably have been in the house before. Lived around here since 1954. The area I think you are in was already built.
    Any help you may need even advice just let me know. I have re-wired so many of these homes already. I am off to Dons Range (Yuch!!) as we have severe cabin fever and need to blow stuff up.
    Yep. I was told my old house (across the street, I had a difficult move) was built in 1913 and was the owner of the property that Eagle Dale was built on. My current house was built around the 40s or 50s, but caught fire in our buying process and we completely gutted it and it's brand spanking new.

Good luck with that! I guess I should probably get off of here and take my Christmas tree down... :):

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County

Back feeding is illegal as hell and could very potentially kill a line worker, installing a transfer switch takes about an hour or two and is not hard if you have a small amount of electrical know how. It will also keep it within code so if you decide in the future to sell your place you won't have to hire a electrician to fix it just to sell the house. I won't tell you what to do, but I looked into the same thing and decided to do it the right way, especially with the price of 220 wire.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Back feeding is illegal as hell and could very potentially kill a line worker, installing a transfer switch takes about an hour or two and is not hard if you have a small amount of electrical know how. It will also keep it within code so if you decide in the future to sell your place you won't have to hire a electrician to fix it just to sell the house. I won't tell you what to do, but I looked into the same thing and decided to do it the right way, especially with the price of 220 wire.
    Back feeding the grid is dumb, yes.

I was referring to feeding my house from the line going to the garage. It would essentially just be a long extension cord. I would obviously throw the main house breaker thus disconnecting my house from the grid and removing any chance of back feeding.

It's been a while since I have put any thought into it, but I will look into transfer switches again.

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Philabuster has a great, low-tech suggestion. Plastic check-ball bailers are also available for less than $10 - all you need is a bucket some rope and a little 'elbow grease'.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Back feeding the grid is dumb, yes.

I was referring to feeding my house from the line going to the garage. It would essentially just be a long extension cord. I would obviously throw the main house breaker thus disconnecting my house from the grid and removing any chance of back feeding.

It's been a while since I have put any thought into it, but I will look into transfer switches again.

The proper way to get a genny into your main panel is not to difficult and only involves a few more parts. Easy enough to do.

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Dorky D - that is a solid looking bailer! I have had to bail alot of wells at work, and light polyethylene bailers are pretty nice because they help keep the weight down - believe it or not bailing is pretty good exercise after awhile. Companies like Cole-Parmer or Forestry Supply carry ~1 inch diameter, light plastic check-ball bailers, if you are interested in a really cheap back-up plan.

Top Bottom