• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StrayDog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    South West
    Nice find. I would venture to say that she is broken in. Nice job on the reassembly also. No "Idiot Mark" from the slide stop. Sorry, I can't help you with the date of manufacture. I am sure that others will.

Stupid question maybe. - What the heck is an Idiot Mark??

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    What is wrong with a pachmeyer grip? I am ignorant of them. It feels great.

My dads the same way with those Pachmayers, I think they're ugly and cheap looking. But he likes em and thinks they're comfortable, like an earlier poster said it's your gun if you like the pachmeyer's than you oughta keep em.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    First off congrats on a great gun :rockwoot:. Go over to 1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin and the Colt sub-forum and you will find a ton of info with great informative members. As far as the grips go, the only reason I would replace them, as what has already been said, is the width of them. The 1911 is a great slim carry gun. I would look at going back to stock or a custom grip maker like Emeralda here is a link to her site http://www.esmeralda.cc/ or VZ grips here 1911 Pistol Grips

Enjoy and make sure you post your range report.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    So lemme get this straight... you had about 3 and a half boxes of ammo...and for that you got to buy a gun that shoots it?
    Oh, man I've GOT to try that!

Noooooo!

I "had" a box of .44 mag..... I had to sell it because every time I looked at it I wanted to buy a .44 revolver. :draw:
    Resist the urge! :D

Slipping while placing the slide stop back into it's grove and gouging the frame. It's a common issue with the design, be careful.
    It happen so often there is a name for it. :n00b:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Very nice looking Colt. Good buy!! If you like the pachmyers then I'd say keep them. I've got the hogue wraparounds on my springfield mil spec since its my carry and gives good grip feel. But then I have traditional wood on my loaded V12. Just remember its your gun, and use what you like, that's the most important.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    If you call Colt they will give you the manufacture date. That's all the info you can get from them without paying for the archive letter.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Slipping while placing the slide stop back into it's grove and gouging the frame. It's a common issue with the design, be careful.
    It happen so often there is a name for it. :n00b:
    Yeah, listen to him^.
    You want to have it dead on. The little plunger doohickey (tech term) will let it drop past. Don't ever try to swing it up from under after having it mostly dropped in. It will tempt you, but DON'T DO IT! You WILL muck it up, if you do.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    Boy, has Annie got that right....Take it from an ol' time mucker. Just go slow and don't force it at all. Once everything is lined up properly, it will just almost drop in.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Just go slow and don't force it at all. Once everything is lined up properly, it will just almost drop in.

Yep. One tip: don't put uneven pressure on it. Pushing more on one side or the other is a sure way to keep it from budging. Push dead center and evenly, and as 1946 says...it'll about drop in. :yesway:

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo

I'd post a pic of the idiot mark I put on my beloved stainless 1991A1, but uh...nah.

It's not an idiot mark if you put it on your own gun. I choose to call it a beauty mark or something like that...yeah, something like that. <sigh>

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Just another suggestion for a new set of grips. CDNN has a nice looking set of deluxe Herretts for your officers 1911 for $25. I have a set on my officers and they look nice. ITEM # COLOG PHONE# 1-800-588-9500

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    What is wrong with a pachmeyer grip? I am ignorant of them. It feels great.

Nothing.

You like 'em? Never had a problem with them? Then the cool girls started teasing you and now you are going to spend your money on something you didn't want to get rid of something you did like?:dunno:

They make your butt look fat too.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well I called Colt and the serial number is from 1985. I had thought the OACP was from the early ninties. Either way, I am happy and 'might' get some new grips but not until I fire it.

I found a set I like though and they are $22.

LamSBLK.jpg

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I saw a set of Houge Grips for this gun tonight for $24 dollars, I also got offered a set of 'Colt' wood grips with the horse and everything for $40.

I think I will keep what I got for nnow so that I can spend some money at 21st Century tommorrow.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Hi

Since you mentioned in your original post about the recoil spring plug, I will tell you that yes, you should examine it closely after firing the the pistol. It seems to be a hit or miss situation, some Officer owners have never experienced problems with their particular firearm, while others have had the spring plug crack near the little tab, sending the plug and spring down range. This happened to me. I managed to buy a couple of extra spring plugs, and used one while shooting at the range, and then change it out for another that was "unused" while carrying the pistol. Eventually, I traded the gun for another 45 acp. I hope it all goes well with you and your OACP, it is a nice pistol to carry.

Chillaxer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Nice piece! I think I might use the same excuse with my wife!!!! As I have a few boxes of .45 squirrled away but no .45 for it to go in!!!!

Top Bottom