• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Put a good beating on them. We have to about every two to three years and have taken out 6 to 8 before they stop causing issues.

Weird thing is as long as I see the local red fox running in the field or a couple other hot spots I don't have coyote issues. As soon as I stop seeing the fox I have to thin out the coyotes.
    Yep. To much open area here for any fox. They stay near the subdivisions.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Well 1 kill last night, in the bean field to my north, neighbors field. I was hiding on my north fence row on the golf cart, behind a big oak tree. A young male. He came to the worst dying rabbit call you could hear. I’m way out of practice. Saw one more to the west but the wind is kinda screwed up. I shot anyway. No joy.

Gonna head out one more time. Got an old tape player and some old cassette tapes gonna try them for a change up. I think I’ve got them scared, and in a few days the calves can go into the herd, I’m thinking this weekend. 3 are bunk broke only one left on the tit.

Slept a bit after chores.

I’m heading out in a few, got food, chew, water, coffee, and still 17 rounds of turkey loads. I’m gonna look at my little bell thingies and loose a couple cups of coffee and get outta here. Later INGO.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I’m heading out in a few, got food, chew, water, coffee, and still 17 rounds of turkey loads. I’m gonna look at my little bell thingies and loose a couple cups of coffee and get outta here. Later INGO.
    I have found number 4 buck works well. I ran out of some very old lead bb loads dad and grandpa used for waterfowl back in the day when steeel shot was not required and I get a bit more distance with the number 4 buck. The extra full barrel in the 870 works well with number 4 buck but worked better with lead bb’s.

We did not worry about dropping them in their tracks just wanted them dead. Those coyotes can run a long way while bleeding we found in the winter they would run 200 yards and turn back to where they were running and lie down.

We normally use two people when we do it. One with a rifle in a nice field of view and fire. One (normally me) in the weeds and heavy brush calling with the flopping critter I purchase at of all place “Cracker Barrel” for visual enhancement.

We have used roosters as bait way back in my youth. Tie a rooster or any chicken legs with string. Flip the loop of the string on a fence post and hang upside down. The chicken does the calling and visuals. Coyotes were very uncommon then but foxes. We normally had chicken dinner the next day. They were cull roosters

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    OK, last night was it. The tape player was crap. Got them to sound off North and South, but nothing came in. Got one skunk in a foot hold at a dirt hole set. I’ll let that one rest for a while. I’ll get it in a couple weeks.

I gotta look into this thermal or night vision stuff. I run traps every fur season, but it’s apparent I can’t keep up with them (coyotes). We used to have guys that ran dogs and used CB radios, but the war in Russia has dropped the price of fur so much nobody does that anymore.

I need about a half dozen young guys with the desire to kill these buggers.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Thermal is a game changer.
    I need to learn about that stuff, if I lost a calf to predation that would do me in.

I plant about 30-50 traps around me and neighbors farms every season. But not just for coyotes, I’ve trapped for over 50 years but now they are overrunning the place. The other night I know they were looking at the 4 late calves. If I turn the dogs loose it would be a very large vet bill. So…..here I am. :dunno:

Digger man said the same as you, looks like I may be doing some research.

Sold some fats last Sat. Beef was 3.52 a lb. At Rochester sale barn.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I need to learn about that stuff, if I lost a calf to predation that would do me in.

I plant about 30-50 traps around me and neighbors farms every season. But not just for coyotes, I’ve trapped for over 50 years but now they are overrunning the place. The other night I know they were looking at the 4 late calves. If I turn the dogs loose it would be a very large vet bill. So…..here I am. :dunno:

Digger man said the same as you, looks like I may be doing some research.

Sold some fats last Sat. Beef was 3.52 a lb. At Rochester sale barn.
    Hubby got the Super Hogster and has had a lot of fun with it. He's eliminated a lot of coyotes here, but this makes it so much easier to see them. He says he can see mice at long distances clear as day.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    We used to have guys that ran dogs and used CB radios, but the war in Russia has dropped the price of fur so much nobody does that anymore.

I need about a half dozen young guys with the desire to kill these buggers.
    Nope.
    You only need one, with a desire to hunt them.
    My sons count for the year has to be at least a hundred, I think.

I used to be in one of those roving gangs in my neighborhood. We had a lot of fun but also made some neighbors mad, just goes with the territory of 5-10 trucks running around with at least that many in the field shooting. Move from one square mile to the next. We’d get 70 in a big year, sometimes only 20.

People’d find our channel and get on the radio and mess with us, it was not uncommon to have the cops called, etc. But we worked hard to have permission everywhere we went.

One determined guy can really knock them down.

But they’ll be back, that’s how their biology works.

Top Bottom