• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    WOW, that is scary as hell! I'm not sure what I would do in your position.

Alcohol consumption can cause it also. If you drink stop or moderate.

Many, many moons ago I sleep(or slept?) walked and a friend was there to witness it. He was sleeping on the couch and watched (thinking I stayed up all night drinking) me slam the kitchen cabinets and proceed to sit down by his feet and hammer-fist the armrest.:n00b:

I woke up mid-swing when he said, "WTF are you doing?" I looked at him, hand still raised in the air and said, "uh, I have no idea."

whatscooking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Madison,In
    If you were dropping the clip and clearing the chamber sounds like you were getting ready to clean it so have the cleaning kit close by, sounds like to me you need to back off the TV shows, i don't even like to watch the advertisements for some of the bazaar movies, people crawling backwards up walls and ceilings and the like.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Just a thought, I might get chewed up for this... secure your gun in a mounted holster with a black plastic wire tie. One that you can break with some brute force if you needed it... but wouldn't in your sleep(walking)

Last edited:

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    Wow, this thread has given tangibility to a concern I have about keeping a Con 1 gun bedside. I don't believe that I have ever done anything in my sleep, but I would hate to find out the hard way that I am capable of doing something permanent that involves bullets. I have dreams from time to time that I am involved in violent self-defense situations, I would hate to manage to pull a trigger in my sleep.

Maybe someone more familiar with sleep science could provide valuable insight, but I have a few experiences that I think are founded in the same principle. To my great embarrassment, at age 21 I all out peed myself in my sleep in college. In my dream I had to go to the bathroom, which I believe was a physiological sensation that should have woken me up, however, my brain found a way to rationalize it as happening in the context of my dream. My dream continued with me walking to a toilet, where I prepared to urinate. In my dream, I started going to the bathroom, and as such, my brain was convinced that it was appropriate to do so. Then, in the real physical world my body took a whiz. My brain could not, however, rationalize that I was swimming in warm pee, so that sensation woke me up.

Another less dramatic event was a dream where music was playing, music that would not have been played by the person in my dream, and they began to explain that they suddenly liked this song/artist, and so on. They also said it sounded better over a loud PA, which explained the loud volume. Well, the reality is that I have an alarm clock that uses a docked MP3 player to awaken you with music, and I slept through my alarm because my brain found a way to dismiss it as an even inside of my dream. In fact, I fall asleep to music as well and often times the music will penetrate into my dreams. Dreams with a soundtrack = awesome, but that's straying from the topic.

Granted, I know nothing about sleep outside of the theories as to why humans dream and what evolutionary purpose dreaming has served. However, I think the thing that concerns me is that I could have a dream that someone is breaking into my place and I need to defend it, causing me to reach for my weapon. Until some sort of dissonance began to happen in my brain as a wake up initiator, it would accept unsafe physical actions as happening in the safe or necessary context of my dream.

Again, this thread has created a real example of something that has only existed as a seemingly far-fetched concern in my mind. Thanks for sharing this OP.

Last edited:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    To my great embarrassment, at age 21 I all out peed myself in my sleep in college. In my dream I had to go to the bathroom, which I believe was a physiological sensation that should have woken me up, however, my brain found a way to rationalize it as happening in the context of my dream. My dream continued with me walking to a toilet, where I prepared to urinate. In my dream, I started going to the bathroom, and as such, my brain was convinced that it was appropriate to do so. Then, in the real physical world my body took a whiz. My brain could not, however, rationalize that I was swimming in warm pee, so that sensation woke me up.

After such a detailed confession, you can never raise your head again in decent company. Chef says, "There is a time and a place for everything, and it's called 'college.'" But he wasn't thinking of peeing in your bed. He was just thinking of wild sex, drugs, alcohol, and the like

Do you need to join a support group? I know a 12-stepper. Maybe you could talk to him. Eventually you'll have to apologize to everyone you traumatized with your post, esp. the clinically accurate bit about the disjunction between the physical sensations and the constructed mental picture of reality. Please spare me. I forgive you.

Da Bing

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

While I was getting over my past life, I would do things like this. I wouldn't sleep and when I did I had nightmares.

The most notable experience was when my ex-fiance woke me up in a chair. I had jumped up and had my weapon more than halfway out before I got composed. Also threw a punch at my mom before this, when I moved back home, when she came into my room to wake me up. Missed, thank God.

So, I put a lock on my door.

Key is to get plenty of sleep no matter how bad the dreams and avoid exhaustion.

Meantime, as others have suggested, get yourself a fast-access safe.

Regards,

Josh

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have no intentions of frightening you any more than you are probably already concerned,
    But being a long-time dream analysis/Parasomnia researcher... It really sounds like it could be minor... or possibly even hereditary/health related.

I can't jump quick to any assumptions, so I'll just ask:

-How old are you? 26
    -What time do you remember awakening (or more specifically, do you know how long you'd been asleep up to that point)? approx. 0330
    -How long have you physically stressed the use of firearms (or have used them comfortably/second nature-handling of them)? been shooting since I was 5, firearms handling has been 2nd nature for the last 8-10 years now. I'm pretty proficient at shooting/handling.
    -Did you experience any kind of heart racing, sweating, out of breath or "shock" after waking up from your wife's' voice? not that I recall
    -When was the last time and/or how often do you awaken in terror (just having bad dreams)? not very often. I do occasionally have vivid dreams, but rarely do I "act out" those dreams that I can recall

Best case scenario?

It's second nature to handling your gun (literally doing it with your eyes closed; no pun intended)
    And if there was any kind of remote violence or firearm usage on Prison Break, that very easily could've triggered this occurrence
    along with the mix of something that could have angered you or frustrated you at some point in the middle of your day.

It's one thing to have a freaky dream and trying to decipher it's intentions or if it's coincidental.
    It's another thing to have a potential sleep disorder at hand that may need immediate professional help.

Maybe someone more familiar with sleep science could provide valuable insight, but I have a few experiences that I think are founded in the same principle. To my great embarrassment, at age 21 I all out peed myself in my sleep in college. In my dream I had to go to the bathroom, which I believe was a physiological sensation that should have woken me up, however, my brain found a way to rationalize it as happening in the context of my dream. My dream continued with me walking to a toilet, where I prepared to urinate. In my dream, I started going to the bathroom, and as such, my brain was convinced that it was appropriate to do so. Then, in the real physical world my body took a whiz. My brain could not, however, rationalize that I was swimming in warm pee, so that sensation woke me up.

I specifically recall the exact same dream when I was approx. 12. I had to urinate in real life. My brain took over and I dreamt that I had got out of bed, walked to the bathroom and proceeded to urinate. Only, I physically didn't get out of bed, but I did physically urinate. I awoke at the exact same point as you, when the brain says "Something doesn't compute here, I'm urinating in a toilet, but the urine is all over me".

I did have a few "vivid" dreams in college as well. At one point I was under attack by someone and I struck out with a solid punch right into my deck above my bed. That was painful.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Hello,

While I was getting over my past life, I would do things like this. I wouldn't sleep and when I did I had nightmares.

The most notable experience was when my ex-fiance woke me up in a chair. I had jumped up and had my weapon more than halfway out before I got composed. Also threw a punch at my mom before this, when I moved back home, when she came into my room to wake me up. Missed, thank God.

So, I put a lock on my door.

Key is to get plenty of sleep no matter how bad the dreams and avoid exhaustion.

Meantime, as others have suggested, get yourself a fast-access safe.

Regards,

Josh

Past life as in when you were younger? Or past life as in reincarnation?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    WOW, that is scary as hell! I'm not sure what I would do in your position.

Many, many moons ago I sleep(or slept?) walked and a friend was there to witness it. He was sleeping on the couch and watched (thinking I stayed up all night drinking) me slam the kitchen cabinets and proceed to sit down by his feet and hammer-fist the armrest.:n00b:

I woke up mid-swing when he said, "WTF are you doing?" I looked at him, hand still raised in the air and said, "uh, I have no idea."

Had a cat knock over a bottle of an ammonia based product which broke. I awoke halfway up the stairs (bedroom was in the basement at the time)with the gas mask on.

Our bedside gun is on the headboard underneath a pile of crap, it isn't ready to hand and takes a little hunting to find it, though with the NS I can see it in the dark readily enough. In over two decades of owning pistols I have never had any incident like CB19 describes, but if I did it sure would make me take additional steps to make it a little harder to access. We also have a lot of early warning for intruders, so time should not be an issue.

Top Bottom