• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If I get enough back at tax time I have decided to go with the Weatherby. I have not found anything comparable in the price range. Acme Sports quoted me $450 for the particular rifle I'm looking at. They are guaranteed to shoot a 1.5" three shot group or smaller at 100 yards. I'll probably never shoot it past 200 because of yardage restrictions at the local ranges. I fondled one yesterday and the bolt is very smooth and the trigger is short and crisp. Plus I like the stock a lot better than others I have looked at.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    I've refinished a few of the Vanguards. Quality and fit are excellent. The only thing that I didn't like (compared to the Rem 700) is the way the bolt disassembled. There are a few small parts on the Vanguard bolt that can easily get lost.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i have a mk v stainless synthetic. its a great shooting rifle but i dont shoot it often since its a 300wby. 2.50 a shot is not exactly plinking prices and i dont reload it yet

simpson1922

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Benre, IN
    I have a howa 1500 which is the same as a vangaurd and it is a great shooter. if you can live with a syn. stock look in to the howa 1500 got mine for 375 otd new. they have a smooth operating bolt just like the vangaurd and a adjustable trigger

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    A Vanguard is a significant upgrade over a Savage, though I've never handled the carbine model. I can like that 20" barrel a lot, if the stock lets it balance well.

At one time my favorite hunting rifle was a Vanguard stocked with a Sako Classic McSwirly, in 6.5-284. I zapped many elk with that thing.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    They're very well made guns. Accurate and smooth cycling. There's a used 7mm-08 carbine over at Gander that I've talked myself out of buying a few times - mainly because I can get one just about the same new from buds.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I am more of a Rem 700 guy but I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a Weatherby or Howa if I was in the market for another bolt action.

Top Bottom