• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It would appear that if the mother of the shooter was a responsible gun owner her nut job son wouldn't have had access to the arsenal of guns in the house.

I personally know someone whose child drilled out the lock on the gun safe, drilled through the lock on the ammo box, loaded a gun and shot himself with it..

Would you say that if the parent was "a responsible gun owner [his] nut job son wouldn't have had access to the arsenal of guns in the house." in this situation as well?

Do you know what the son's diagnosis was?
    Do you know how mom stored her guns?
    Why is what SHE owned an "arsenal" and what you own, not?

Do tell

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    You, and many others on this site, are missing the point. First of all, most if not all of our rights have restrictions attached. Despite having freedom of speech, you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater, for one example.

If you had read carefully, you would know that I didn't say that any of those steps would prevent violence. However, a lot of our fellow Americans disagree. We need to take the long view. If we don't acknowledge that other people have different opinions and be willing to negotiate, we will be marginalized in the debate, and the loss of rights will be much greater.

This tragedy will be used as an opportunity for people who advocate stricter gun control. It can also be used as an opportunity to provide education about alternatives.

Before you sell your soul and toss every American gun owner in the ditch have you thought through any of your proposals and what effect they might have in preventing tragedies such as this in the future? Do you have any real ideas that might actually prevent a tragedy like this from happening again?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    England, France, Germany, Spain all have tight gun laws. They don't have ANYWHERE near the level of gun related murders as America.

Any American who thinks the answer is more guns is a fool.

How about their overall homicide rates. Murder was not invented in 1957 when Gene Stoner introduced the Armalite AR 15, nor in 1947 when Mikhail Kalashnikov introduced the AK 47, nor the day in the middle ages in which gunpowder was invented. You will notice that other methods of murder are alive and well in those countries, and you may also notice that in the United States, our highest crime rates are found in the places with the strictest prohibitions against guns.

I will also say that the relative merit of the balance of guns and crime is not the issue. The point at issue is that this is a constitutional right which is not negotiable.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    do not give up freedom for safety that is a sucker's bet, the world will always have evil and those that do harm.

I agree completely. I will also say that those who would barter away our rights in the name of the illusion of security deserve to be removed and live the rest of their lives under the tyranny that is the natural consequence of the wrongheaded choices they want to impose on the rest of us.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    How about their overall homicide rates. Murder was not invented in 1957 when Gene Stoner introduced the Armalite AR 15, nor in 1947 when Mikhail Kalashnikov introduced the AK 47, nor the day in the middle ages in which gunpowder was invented. You will notice that other methods of murder are alive and well in those countries, and you may also notice that in the United States, our highest crime rates are found in the places with the strictest prohibitions against guns.

I will also say that the relative merit of the balance of guns and crime is not the issue. The point at issue is that this is a constitutional right which is not negotiable.

Exactly. "more gun deaths".. oy, I am SURE that the people that are killed without guns are MUCH happier that it wasnt a gun that took their life :n00b:

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    It will not change a thing, and I have learned how the perception of being safe will take away YOUR RIGHTS............Patriot Act! Proof is in the pudding!

Knife attack at Chinese school wounds 22 children

Happened on the same day as Sandy Hoke but very little news coverage. Crazy people will still exist, crazy $*&% will still happen but we will not be able to defend our families, homes or ourselves from the tyrannical. Knives are silent, do not run out of ammo, do not malefaction, and can be concealed very well, you don't have to have a license to carry, you don't have to go through a background check to purchase, and you can buy them at Kroger's.

Last edited:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I'm sorry, but I think that blaming video games and movies is just as idiotic as blaming guns for shootings. The basic fact is that it takes a deeply disturbed person to do these kinds of things. This is not about desensitization, this is about a mental sickness that runs deeper than societal influences. These guys are suicidal, and they try to go out with a bang. Not only do they not value the lives of others, they don't even have functioning self preservation instincts.

Society can't make monsters like this. Society makes thugs, gangsters, and wife beaters, not mass murderers and serial killers. It takes chemical problems, extreme psychological trauma, etc. to make these animals.
    I have to agree here. I don't think we'll ever understand what motivates a person to commit such a monstrous crime. Even being a chemical problem is no explanation. Science can work until the end of time but we'll never find an explanation. Sickening man, just sickening.

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Blame the murderer first. Clearly NO additional law would have stopped him; he was smart, motivated, and a psychopath who already broke dozens of laws - thinking some additional legal hurdle would have stopped him is ridiculous.

He would have been there with a gun (or bomb, or whatever), regardless of how many feel-good laws we pass.

There is however one law which could be REPEALED which would have likely made a BIG difference in the lethality of his attack.

That law is not the Second Amendment, whose repeal would not only make our streets more dangerous, but render our society far less stable (if anyone doubts this, they need to turn off the television and read some history).

The law which needs repealed is the "gun free schools" law.

ANYONE who proposes, endorses, or enforces "gun free zones" is as guilty of being a co-conspirator as if they loaded the guy's weapons for him.

When the administrators and legislators and politicians get their photo-ops and interviews, and start their hand-wringing, I do NOT feel sympathy for them, but only contempt - their ignorance and willingness to risk the lives of our nation's children on dangerous and proven-counterproductive "gun control" laws is what enables these mass-murderers.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    First of all, most if not all of our rights have restrictions attached. Despite having freedom of speech, you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater, for one example.

When you find out that you are 100 percent wrong and it is perfectly legal to yell fire in a crowded theater will it change your mind about anything?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Original OP's user name says it all:patriot:

Be nice. After giving him some words of correction, it came to my attention that he is only 19 and was trying to put some shock value in the thread title. I said a few stupid things when I was his age, as did most of us, so let's cut him a little slack. This is the time for guidance, not smackdown.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    When you find out that you are 100 percent wrong and it is perfectly legal to yell fire in a crowded theater will it change your mind about anything?

OK, if you want to parse words to a ridiculous extent, it's perfectly legal if there actually is a fire. Otherwise, you will be charged. If I found out I was wrong, it would change my mind, but I'm not.

Put another quarter in the slot.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Maybe we should ban dynamite and hammers now too!!!!!!!

I wish I could remember where I saw that guy telling the story of his friend blowing up a cistern/septic tank with dynamite...it's because of people like that, we can't have anything nice;)

Top Bottom