• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Yep. In that nexus point between "susatinability" wife and "preparedness" husband there is just enough space to make 2010 the year to chicken "experiment"!

So today we got the starter chicks and some loner gear from farmer friends. The garage needs spring cleaning so that I can begin making their coop. Between the coop and the fence, it should all come together just as the chicks become chickens.

Or, at least that is the plan.

Heavy on irony, they come in a "happy meal box" like undercooked nuggets:

4444519980_8ae5a227f2.jpg

They get to live in the garage while they get bigger and I build a coop and fix the fence:

4444515778_80d813c749.jpg

4443740595_43577f266f.jpg

And to complete the irony, there is a food lamp to keep them warm:

4443734271_9117c20064.jpg

So we will see how this grand experiment goes.

Any other chicken folks here?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I've been interested in this for some time, but lacking both the requisite time and finances - how much do you think it would cost for a self-sustaining herd/flock? Also, what is the minimum temperature is required for them to survive?

Will be following your progress with bated breath.

Congrats on having eggs and tender strips for the foreseeable future.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I've been interested in this for some time, but lacking both the requisite time and finances - how much do you think it would cost for a self-sustaining herd/flock? Also, what is the minimum temperature is required for them to survive?

Will be following your progress with bated breath.

Congrats on having eggs and tender strips for the foreseeable future.

We bummed the cage and light from friends. The entire layout of cost otherwise with birds, food and bedding was $33.02. So, basically the cost of two boxes of .38 Special (or one box of .380 :n00b: ).

The coop will be small and cheap. Their main food once outdoors will be bugs, ticks and other free stuff. Mostly the cost will be the coop. I am tempted to try and build it from spare pallet wood as an experiment in cheap functionality.

BTW, one of the chicks already escaped and I had to find it and mod the cage to keep them all in. We bought 6 because we wanted 4 to live long enough to produce eggs. They really are stupid animals.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Well don't forget to candle the eggs before you eat them and collect them everyday or they won't produce any more they will just wait and try and hatch the egg. we had 12 for a couple of years but no rooster so we didn't worry about having to make sure we didn't open an egg and end up with a unhatched chick in your skillet. They can be mean and will attack eachother when one is maulting(not sure on spelling). It was great we always bought some grain to help feed them as well. There waste is some strong stuff and will kill whatever grass may be in the pin if you have it just out in the semi open like we did. We took and fenced in part of the lean to on the back of the barn and took an old trunk and cut a hole in it for the chickens to use as there coop. Had to go out and collect the eggs every morning. They were good I do miss it some always wanted to give my daughter the experience.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    They get to live in the garage while they get bigger and I build a coop and fix the fence:

4444515778_80d813c749.jpg

Any other chicken folks here?

Holy Moly, that's some fancy chick-rearing cage you got there!
    Congrats, techres! Now you have 8 children!

Better build that chicken pen fast, cause they get big faster than you know!
    The little buggers are addicting, though, I've raised chickens from day-olds since 2000 (I grew up with chickens as well).

Some good general information on initial, starting chick rearing can be found at the Murray McMurray Hatchery website page, here.
    And their FAQ page is real good, on multiple other questions too.
    :patriot:

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    We have about 25 Araucana hens and one rooster. One of our hens got out and a couple weeks ago returned.... with 2 chicks. She is doing a very good job raising those chicks in the cold spring weather. They are nearly feathered out now.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Too funny man. I looked into getting some chickens for our backyard, but I am afraid our dogs will kill them. My wife also said no way. I guess I can come and visit yours when I am out walking. I also want a goat.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    If you have questions along the way, let me know... We've had upwards of 40 layers (over the past 3 years)and currently have 20. In addition we've also done meat birds (two batches last year) 50-75 at a time with home processing.

Just drop me a PM and we can chat. In the meantime, enjoy!!

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    My wife insists we have a few chickens. She hates stale store bought eggs. I had a Dr appointment in Warsaw today so took 3 dozen eggs along to give to some friends. We are getting about 18 eggs a day now.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Chickens

Very cool. Thanks for posting this and please keep us updated. You might check out Purdue's on-line resources for farming. Best of luck.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    How many birds does it take to consistently get 18 eggs a day?

Depends on the breed, but a good laying flock with require about 20-22 birds to sustain that.

We started chickens 2 years ago and wondered why we didn't years ago, they are ridiculously easy. At this point they don't cost us anything because we sell excess eggs to friends and coworkers and that pays for the feed. We just sold off part of our older flock to a friend and fellow ingoer. We have 8 adult birds now of various ages and 2 chicks . We've taken the approach of getting new chicks every 6-9 months and then selling off the older birds when they are a little more than halfway through their laying life.

This spring we're getting a couple of meat goats for weed control and then to learn the market by selling them this fall.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Depends on the breed, but a good laying flock with require about 20-22 birds to sustain that.

We started chickens 2 years ago and wondered why we didn't years ago, they are ridiculously easy. At this point they don't cost us anything because we sell excess eggs to friends and coworkers and that pays for the feed. We just sold off part of our older flock to a friend and fellow ingoer. We have 8 adult birds now of various ages and 2 chicks . We've taken the approach of getting new chicks every 6-9 months and then selling off the older birds when they are a little more than halfway through their laying life.

This spring we're getting a couple of meat goats for weed control and then to learn the market by selling them this fall.

Like Shibumiseeker said it depends on the breed. Leghorns are the most common laying breed because they usually lay more than about any other breed. We have Araucanas because my wife likes the eggs and the birds are larger and better for meat. They don't lay as much as leghorns. I think we have 25 hens now. In the cold weather the egg production drops off. In winter to keep them laying you will have to have lights on timers so they get about 16 to 18 hours of light a day and keep them in a warm enough house that the temperature stays at least in the 30 deg or higher range. We have eggs for ourselves, our daughters families and a few friends buy some from us. When we have any extra we donate them to a local food pantry. After trying fresh eggs most people don't want the stale ones they get at the grocery store.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom