We Gun Owners Are Often Our Own Worst Enemy....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Topic already posted would send a link to the thread but hard to do on cell.

I agree with you.. kicking the s**t out of someone mayne not. Both side havent been said. H
    there could be alot more to the story.. but then agai. It could be someone who went insain

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I about go insane whwn the bikers up here in their spandex take up a whole lane during rush hour, while there is a complete bike trail on the side of the road for them to use three feet away. I honk loudly at them. It is rediculous, but happens every day here. I suppose they are training for the Tour de France or something, and need the road for that?

:dunno:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Share the road means share the road.

Cars aren't supposed to pass bikes, they are supposed to treat them like any other vehicle.

If I saw backup lights heading towards me, I'd probably send one threw the back window too!

Read... or go RE-READ the drivers manual again if you don't know the current driving laws....

http://www.in.gov/bmv/files/Drivers_Manual_Chapter_5.pdf

page 71

Drivers must routinely share the roadway with bicycles. Bicycles are
    entitled to the same right of way and are required to observe the same traffi c
    laws as operators of automobiles.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Share the road means share the road.

Cars aren't supposed to pass bikes, they are supposed to treat them like any other vehicle.

You say this as though it excuses the rest of the behavior.

Yes, we have laws, but inherent in them all, is a sense of reasonableness. On a county road, with no other traffic, a driver giving a brief horn blast, for the purpose of alerting the bicyclist, then passing, is reasonable. When you live on a curvy, hilly, county road, frequented by bicyclists, you can't be expected to drive 6mph every Sunday afternoon. What would a reasonable person do?

The bicyclist unnecessarily escalated the situation by his gestures. The automobile driver should have blown it off, and drove away.

The driver slamming on his brakes, could be viewed as confrontational. For all the bicyclist knew, though, the driver could have suddenly noticed a road hazard.

The article doesn't mention the car being put in reverse. I have a hard time finding a threat of great bodily harm or death, with the information given.

There could have been an infant riding in the back seat. I'm going to hope against hope that a) this turd gets nailed, and b) he did not have a LTCH. Either way though, MSM will use it as a broad brush with which to paint us all.

Do you think it was a bicyclist fanny pack, or a leather CCW fanny pack?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Buy a bike, ride according to the law......and get a real eye opener (or closer- if they tag you just right).

I wouldn't shoot some moron that ran into me, but I'd shove my trashed bike up his arse til the seatpost popped though his nose.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I honestly hope we didn't just have two people say it's OK to shoot into a vehicle that is backing up towards you.

I have slammed on my brakes when a bicyclist flipped me off before. I was in Dayton, passed a bike on a four-lane road, wasn't speeding, wasn't anywhere near close to him, he flips me off and yells the f-bomb. He was doing maybe 10mph. I was about 30 yards ahead of him when I braked and he about fell off his bike stopping and waiting to see what I was going to do.

If you are walking down the sidewalk and someone flips you off and you turn around, is that "walking rage"?

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Can't blame the fool for putting one into the car. He was in fear of serious bodily harm.

Seriously?

At that point all that had happened was the driver hit his brakes. The biker initiated a situation that would have never happened had he not felt compelled to flip-off the driver. No confrontation had happened at that point so IMO a threat to the cyclist's life hadn't occurred yet requiring deadly force. The shooting was totally unjustified at that point which is probably why the biker fled. You just can't shoot people when you don't like the way they're driving. ;)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    When he hit the brakes a clear threat was communicated. Can't blame the fool for putting one into the car. He was in fear of serious bodily harm.

Absolutely absurd. Maybe he spilled coffee on himself and hit the brakes. You have absolutely no idea why the person is braking and if you shoot because someone decided to slow their car down you will be in jail with blood on your hands. Was he in imminent danger of serious bodily harm? Or was he thinking " oh crap, I flipped that guy off and pissed him off, I wonder if he's going to come after me".

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    Not really knowing the whole story from BOTH sides, all I can say is that a car is every bit as dangerous and deadly as a gun, and as one who rides on occasion I can understand how this could come about.;)

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    I honestly hope we didn't just have two people say it's OK to shoot into a vehicle that is backing up towards you.

Yep, we did. Not only should the guy on the bike never touch a gun again, it appears we have several idiots right here on the forum who should not be anywhere near a gun as well...... Given the time of night they posted, I guess we can hope they were just drunk and shouldn't have been posting on an Internet forum.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    Yes bikes do have to follow the rules of the road.

One of the rules is if your slow moveing traffic, move over to
    the side and let traffic pass by.

Some of these buttholes just drive right down the middle of the road
    and dont care.

Get out of the WAY!!

Jimmy

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I've had a couple close calls on my bike because of idiot drivers. I can fully understand the bicyclist's frustration, however you cannot do something like that. The thought has crossed my mind a few times, yes, but I'm not gonna act on it.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    A driver honks their little horn :rolleyes: as they go around a bicyclist. What's the big deal.
    Then after putting on their brakes, after the cyclist flipped him the birdie, the cyclist pulls his gun, shoots thru his window. WOW!:nuts:

Top Bottom