• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I see a lot of posts here on INGO stating our gun rights are in danger of being taken away from us. Rights not exercised are rights lost! It's a slippery slope, etc, etc.

And yet congress deep six' ed all gun control legislation last year. All of them!

And looking at the animated GIF at this link Right to carry map - Arms Locker we see how more and more states have become shall issue since 1986, including Illinois!

Just today the state of Georgia passed a law allowing guns in some schools, bars, and churches.

Please educate me, why does this look like we are loosing? Looks to me like the 2A crowd is winning.:dunno::dunno:

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    On a federal level? State level I am not super surprised, but with people like Feinstein in office, the attacks will never stop, let alone gaining more rights back...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think, overall, we are winning. We're certainly winning, here in Indiana. Everywhere, the progress is slow and there are definitely set backs in well known cases.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    We may not be "losing" on the federal level, but we certainly are not winning. At best we are maintaining the status quo, which is absolutely not where you want to be when our rights are already so heavily infringed upon. On the state level things are much better, but they certainly aren't peachy either. Just look at Connecticut, Colorado, and NY for example. I think it's prudent for us to be vigilant even if we aren't "losing" per se.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Please educate me, why does this look like we are loosing? Looks to me like the 2A crowd is winning.:dunno::dunno:

If I had to give an overall assessment of momentum, I's say the momentum is in the favor of firearm freedom. We can point to specific advances many places and losses in a few so it is, by no means, an "all one way or the other" proposition.

...but, the reason this is the case is eternal vigilance and the refusal to accept ANY compromise as any compromise is a loss of freedom. Therefore, we can not rest on our advances, but must fight on all fronts, never satisfied that we have "arrived".

Many people here, rightfully so, are sensitive that reflecting on our successes will result in complacency. Be assured that our opponents are not relaxing in their losses.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Certainly gun owners in Connecticut, New York and California are feeling that they are losing some of their 2A rights and I would agree.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    “It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay though never quite eradicated.”

--Albus Dumbledore

If our rights were NOT at risk, there would have been no attempt on them last year to be defeated, nor any year prior. We would not have such un-Constitutional infringements such as the NFA, GCA '68, Hughes Amendment or the License to Carry a Handgun. The power-mad wannabe dictators in government and various anti-American subversive groups such as the Violence Policy Center, Mothers Demand Action, Everytown and Organizing for Action would not be involved in a continuing jihad hell-bent on destroying our rights.

Yes, the American People survived a skirmish in 2013, but the War on Freedom continues unabated, with us and our Rights and Freedoms squarely in the crosshairs.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    If I had to give an overall assessment of momentum, I's say the momentum is in the favor of firearm freedom. We can point to specific advances many places and losses in a few so it is, by no means, an "all one way or the other" proposition.

...but, the reason this is the case is eternal vigilance and the refusal to accept ANY compromise as any compromise is a loss of freedom. Therefore, we can not rest on our advances, but must fight on all fronts, never satisfied that we have "arrived".

Many people here, rightfully so, are sensitive that reflecting on our successes will result in complacency. Be assured that our opponents are not relaxing in their losses.
    :+1:

IMHO, it's never a good idea to have the mindset that we're "winning" the 2A fight.:twocents:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Having watched the gun rights ups and downs since the 60s, I think the big turning points were the Katrina storm and 911. Both collapsed two different myths that had been hanging on for a long time. The 911 disaster taught people that no matter how well protected you are, if some nut case wants to get you they are going to do it. Katrina proved to everybody that when things get bad government is slow at best and you are on your own. Things are on the upswing now.:)

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Having watched the gun rights ups and downs since the 60s, I think the big turning points were the Katrina storm and 911. Both collapsed two different myths that had been hanging on for a long time. The 911 disaster taught people that no matter how well protected you are, if some nut case wants to get you they are going to do it. Katrina proved to everybody that when things get bad government is slow at best and you are on your own. Things are on the upswing now.:)

During Katrina the government was very quick, in confiscating legal firearms.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I think we're growing into a more 2A friendly nation, and see it quite clearly across the board.

I wouldn't say we're losing our 2A rights anymore, they were already long since lost in 1934, 1968, and 1986. Once those 3 cases are repealed, we'll be close to having the 2A actually mean something again. Provided people are willing to get out to regularly train and organize as intended. At that point we can safely say the second amendment is a properly functioning right.

Of course before any of this is realistically possible, we're going to have to work hard on taking back our forth amendment rights.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    We've made a lot of progress, but I won't say we're actually winning until the Hughes Amendment is gone.

There are other things to do after that, but that's when I'll really believe we're winning.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Chins up, boys. We are winning.

To give a different twist to an old commie slogan: Indiana has won, Georgia is winning, New Jersey WILL win!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../340096-antis-attack-because-they-losing.html
    It's a big country with room enough for different majorities. The people of New York and California are in control, and they deserve the government they vote for, IMO. As long as we can move freely between states, we get to PICK the laws we want to live under. So while I wish my brothers and sisters in places like Connecticut and New Jersey well in the fight, and I might send them a little money now and then to help, its not MY fight.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    During Katrina the government was very quick, in confiscating legal firearms.

I'll give you that one, I probably should have said that they were slow at doing anything useful. Ray was quick to run to his well supplied rat hole and start blaming everybody else as well.:)

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I am echoing what's already been posting. We are winning on 2A issues but we must continue to fight and not become complacent. Constitutional carry as law of the land, IMO, is the ultimate victory.

INGO is obviously a gun forum so the focus is primarily on the 2A. However, we are being attacked on the 1A and 4A fronts and I don't see that we are winning those battles.

but as for the 2A, ever vigilant is the way to go.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    At the Federal level, absolutely we are loosing our rights.

I really can only think of one positive change: the change to allow carry in federal parks.

Some would cite FOPA, but it largely just eased some of the pain caused by the GCA.
    Some would cite the sunset of the AWB, but that's just a wash from the passing of the AWB (though it was an improvement on the preceding decade, and that it was able to sunset IS pretty remarkable. If we could have been so lucky with the Patriot act.).
    Some would cite Heller, but it's made no impact federally.
    Some would cite stopping a new AWB or mag limit last yr, but that's just maintaining the status quo.

NFA, GCA, Hughes amendment, '89 import bans, Brady... all further infringements on our rights. Recently the cuts have been small, but death by a thousand paper cuts is still death. I'm refering to the exec orders on medical reporting to the NICS system, and the change to the trust regulations for NFA registrations. Nothing positive there.

Now at the state level, well obviously there's a huge variance in answers. Here in IN the change has been all positive, with more work to do. It's a great state for gun rights with positive momentum. MI has seen their SBR/SBS restrictions go, Heller/McDonald have helped restore rights to folks in DC and IL. But that's ballanced by CA, NY, CT, MD, etc. So your outlook there is really going to depend on where you live.

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom