• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I dont see where the two can be compared. Smoking is an action that directly affects those who have to breathe the air. My pistol in my locked car does not breathe or in any way affect ANYONE.
    I dont smoke anymore but still do not agree with the smoking bans.

They're the same in that they are laws that take away the right of a business/property owner to choose what to allow on their property. Personally, I'd have to agree that anything in my locked vehicle in the lot is no business of anyone but me, but stoic private property rights defenders would dispute this.

I'm not sure how the law defines a locked vehicle as far as private property goes..

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Seems from other threads that some dont agree with this. Im glad but it begs the bigger question of how can any supposed gun rights supporter not agree with this.

Put me in the camp of the "supposed" gun rights supporter.

May I come and give a speech on your lawn that supports the position of the Westboro Baptist Church? I have a first amendment right, don't I? How about an Obama election poster in your yard?

Can a bunch of Moonies hold services in your yard? They have a right to freely practice their religion, don't they?

Personally, I don't care if a person can EVER find another job. Not the point. That employer doensn't owe you a job. An employer should be able to employ you or not employ you for any reason at all in my opinion.

If I own property and then start a business on that property, why can't I make any rules I want about the people who come on to my property? When did someone else get rights to the use of my property? I give them a job, and suddenly they get to use my property ways I don't like? How does that work?

Edit: If the exercise of one right infringes on the exercise of another right, one of 'em ain't a right.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm invited to park in the lot as an employee.

They simply don't get to dictate everything I am allowed to keep locked in my vehicle.

If they want to dictate everything that breaches the boundary of their property, they shouldn't allow personal vehicle parking there.

No different than my own property. If I invite you to park there, keep whatever you want legally locked inside and out of view. Simple.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

They simply don't get to dictate everything I am allowed to keep locked in my vehicle.

If they want to dictate everything that breaches the boundary of their property, they shouldn't allow personal vehicle parking there.

No different than my own property. If I invite you to park there, keep whatever you want legally locked inside and out of view. Simple.

What they SHOULD do is a lot different than what they have RIGHT to do.

So, I invite you to my house. You park in my driveway. I ask you if you have a gun in your car. You say yes, I say you have to leave and never come back as long as there's a gun in your car. Are you saying you don't have to leave my property? That makes no sense.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

So, I invite you to my house. You park in my driveway. I ask you if you have a gun in your car. You say yes, I say you have to leave and never come back as long as there's a gun in your car. Are you saying you don't have to leave my property? That makes no sense.

I'd leave your property if you asked me to. Whether I even answered your question would be moot.

I was saying that on my property, I simply don't care what is legally inside someone's vehicle I've invited to park there.

If I cared enough to warrant an inventory looking for items I'd prefer to prohibit, it would be much simpler and far less intrusive to just not allow any parking.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'd leave your property if you asked me to. Whether I even answered your question would be moot.

I was saying that on my property, I simply don't care what is legally inside someone's vehicle I've invited to park there.

If I cared enough to warrant an inventory looking for items I'd prefer to prohibit, it would be much simpler and far less intrusive to just not allow any parking.

If you are arguing that it's stupid for a business to care what someone has in their car, then we agree. I just don't think the law should be involved.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009

Pretty much covers it.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I think Bill of Rights was trying to help you understand how property rights champions can have concerns about this law while still being ardent gun rights supporters. It's a fair argument, in my opinion. I am one of the conflicted. As another pertinent example, I think the smoking ban is an infringement on business owners right to conduct their business in the manner they see fit, while others think that it is a preservation of the personal right of an employee to not have to work in an environment they feel may be detrimental to their health. The two laws, smoking bans and parking lot laws, are essentially addressing identical issues from a philisophical point of view, yet it seems that many people FOR the smoking ban are AGAINST the parking lot bill, and vice-versa. Just goes to show how most people's internal "Hammurabi Code" (including, apparently, mine) is more attuned to how they persoanlly would benefit or lose, than by a well thought out, consistent moral compass.

Against the smoking ban. Against the parking lot law.

Here's where people get wrapped around the axle: people can't understand the difference between force and choice when it comes to employment.

Force is what the government uses. Your employer can't use force against you. Employees don't have to work around smoke - they can quit. But they NEED the job, you might say, and they have to eat, and they have to live. Yes, but none of those are an obligation on the employer. The employer makes the rules, if you don't like it, don't take the job. If you need the job, truly need it, then follow the rule, no matter how difficult it is.

I see no conflict. Zero, none, zilch.

Your car is your property. Carry in it what you wish. The parking lot is MY property. Carry in it what I wish, or don't park there. It's really that simple.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...The employer makes the rules, if you don't like it, don't take the job. If you need the job, truly need it, then follow the rule, no matter how difficult it is...

What about a rule or personal policy requiring consent to sexual favors for employment.

I know you wouldn't agree with it, but do you favor that practice being prohibited by law?

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009

So if you ask me whats in my car and I tell you its none of your business then what?
    If asked I will leave but once again we are discussing a parking lot of companies not personal residences.
    The police do not have the right to search my car at their whim so why should a corporate entity.
    Im done with all of this because Im not changing my position and you are not as well so this is just wasting time. Best wishes.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    So if you ask me whats in my car and I tell you its none of your business then what?
    If asked I will leave but once again we are discussing a parking lot of companies not personal residences.
    The police do not have the right to search my car at their whim so why should a corporate entity.
    Im done with all of this because Im not changing my position and you are not as well so this is just wasting time. Best wishes.

If you tell me it's none of my business, you just have to leave my parking lot, that's all. No harm, no foul.

What's the difference between a private residence and a business? Both are private.

No one has the right to search your car. Don't let them. And don't agree to it by parking there, or by accepting their employment.

You're done with this because at heart you're a reasonable person and the arguments you're reading are pointing out your internal inconsistencies and it's making you uncomfortable. Just my hypothesis.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    If you tell me it's none of my business, you just have to leave my parking lot, that's all. No harm, no foul.

What's the difference between a private residence and a business? Both are private.

No one has the right to search your car. Don't let them. And don't agree to it by parking there, or by accepting their employment.

You're done with this because at heart you're a reasonable person and the arguments you're reading are pointing out your internal inconsistencies and it's making you uncomfortable. Just my hypothesis.

Well I was done until your undeserved arrogance seems to try and paint a picture that is wrong. I am reasonable but I am not uncomfortable. I actually am quite confident in my position and feel like its wasting my time trying to convince YOU your wrong.
    NOW I'm done.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    :yesway:
    Your right, this has been hashed out before and people continue to split hairs and take the stand of if a person doesnt like it they can just find another job.

For lots of us we are not talking about a walmart or McJob and just leaving isnt really an option, right now 100K jobs dont just fall off the tree.

I didnt ask any question other than I still dont understand how anyone can question a law that helps normal citizens exercise their rights.

Its still a matter of when I go to work whats is in my car is my business.

Its a given that most people understand that in this state a company can fire you for pretty any reason, but larger companies have policies in place to prevent the abuse of manufacturing a excuse if a manager has an axe to grind.
    :yesway:

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    And if you dont want guns on ther property make sure and post a bill board. That a way cops know you dont want guns on your property. Give the bad guys a easy target:)

Top Bottom