• ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Couple of the guys showed up with 1917A1/1928's on a Colt 1928 tripod and a USGI tripod for the 1917A1. Both 1917A1s had a much much smaller beaten zone than the 1919A4 on the M4 tripod and could keep most of the rounds on a few foot steel at 250 yards. Tried the 1919A4 on the Colt 1928 tripod and is entirely different world, much smaller beaten zone and a joy to shooting and keep on target ... not quite as nice as the two 1917A1's but close and not bad.

Also tried my "FN30" tripod (still checking on exact model), worked well, as setup had a little larger beaten zone that the Colt 1928 tripod (need to try lowering the "FN30" a little more, dig in and sand bag for better stability) but did like the fine adjust for traverse on eh "FN30" (still checking the exact model ... inputs appreciated) .

Photos at: http://www.issmc.com/jt/images/1919a4_at_range/index.html

d1_1919a4_on_colt1928_tripod_rt_side.jpg

d5_1919a4_on_colt1928_tripod_lf_oa.jpg

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Did you try some extra weight on the legs of the 1928 Tripod to help with shrinking your beaten zone.. ?????

Also do you think the better sights on the 1917s helped them any??????

Love the early 1928 & 1917 tripods What number is on yours????

Ever see the mountain tripod made in Argentina???? A work of Art.. Almost tempts one to join the Argentine Army ;)

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Did you try some extra weight on the legs of the 1928 Tripod to help with shrinking your beaten zone.. ?????

Good idea, was thinking of bring sand bags, but was ran out of time, room and the weight with ammo and two belt guns was starting to ad up. Need to come up with a good way to use the full ammo can's to hold down the FN30 (this range is grassy so hate to play Caddy Shack and dig up the field ;-). JT

Also do you think the better sights on the 1917s helped them any??????

Sights were only used to get the gun close to the steel targets, then the find "T&E" was adjusted to zero in ... being dry we were not using the primary sighting method for a belt gun, Tracers! JT

Love the early 1928 & 1917 tripods What number is on yours????

The 1919A4 is on a 1928 tripod, which has an interesting feature as there are a nominal ten stops on the fine elevation that you push up or down to limit/lock in the adjustment range. The other water cooled 1917A1 was on a 1917A1 mount with the open side arc shaped slot. JT

Ever see the mountain tripod made in Argentina???? A work of Art.. Almost tempts one to join the Argentine Army ;)
    Only in photos JT
    9564Tripod3.jpg

Thanks for your excellent questions and ideas ... replies in red.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    ooopppps I should have been clearer I meant the serial number on the 1928 tripod???

The rumor is that the foot pads of the mountain tripod are designed to be hammered into the ground or Fallen tree limbs.. Or so I was told

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    ooopppps I should have been clearer I meant the serial number on the 1928 tripod??? ....

Sorry to say the M35 (aka 1928) tripod is not mine only got to use it for a bit with the "1928" was remove for me to try.
    Photo of me shooting with "1917A1/1928" on the tarp in the front of the M35 tripod (faces other than mine blurred in frame grab from friend's I Phone move)
    d6_1919a4_on_m35_tripod_frame_a.jpg

index.html

Last edited:

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Was thinking that until I find a 1917A1 or M35 tripod (be it attached to a NFA 1917A1 or not ;-) that I could run a board/timber under the FN30 (?) tripod from left to right and then pile the ammo cans on both sides to ad weight. Would need a three or four straps / bungee cords to tie the weighted board to the FN30 tripod (which would still have it's feet into the ground).

e1_fn30_tripod_and_mm23ek_lf_side.jpg

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    It looks like you had a fun shoot. We should get together someday when I am on vacation again.
    I haven't used my 1917A1 tripod much, but my experiance was the same as to the smaller beaten zone. I filled 2 large sandbags yesterday and will try those on the front legs soon, and will use one on the front leg of the M2 tripod as well.
    One M2 I have is a repro and I am considering modding it Izzy-style for "sand stakes".
    All of my M2 T&E's are a bit wobbly. The 1917A1 T&E is still fairly tight.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    It looks like you had a fun shoot. We should get together someday when I am on vacation again.
    I haven't used my 1917A1 tripod much, but my experiance was the same as to the smaller beaten zone. I filled 2 large sandbags yesterday and will try those on the front legs soon, and will use one on the front leg of the M2 tripod as well.
    One M2 I have is a repro and I am considering modding it Izzy-style for "sand stakes".
    All of my M2 T&E's are a bit wobbly. The 1917A1 T&E is still fairly tight.

A quick update, the "FN30" tripod appears to actually be an early MAG58 with less Titanium and other ultra light alloys.

03A3 let me know when you are on vacation, if nothing else there is always the option of a day trip to KCR.

Take Care
    John

mp40gunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Rushville, Indiana
    JT you sure seemed to be dumping a bunch of rounds down there that day. Of course I was putting your old HK33k to work down on the other end lOL.

The 08/15 was steaming hard last Saturday in Tennessee. Wish you could have made it, but there is always next year.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    JT you sure seemed to be dumping a bunch of rounds down there that day. Of course I was putting your old HK33k to work down on the other end lOL.

The 08/15 was steaming hard last Saturday in Tennessee. Wish you could have made it, but there is always next year.

Fired just over a case off 308, just enough to get it warmed up. Almost purchased a M35 (Colt 1928) tripod, but trying to decide if really wanted a 1917A1 tripod or .....

Wonder how much a 08 side plate is going for now days, even though missed the boat on 1910 kits (link is for prices on a restored / working Maxim 08, I am assuming).

Saw one of the photos from Tennessee, looks like was shorter distance than shooting in the "back yard" the other day ;-). However, was one of the few times in my life that I could have made a shoot, however, only heard a few comments at the shoot a little over a week ago .... my understanding was that it was a private shoot, invitation required.

db_Maxim_081.gif

Take care ....

Last edited:

mp40gunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Rushville, Indiana
    It was by invite, but I could have got you on the list. I will make sure that I talk with you about it next year.

The range was 250 yards but that was just fine for what we were doing. The only bad part is cleaning when you get home. LOL

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    It was by invite, but I could have got you on the list. I will make sure that I talk with you about it next year.

The range was 250 yards but that was just fine for what we were doing. The only bad part is cleaning when you get home. LOL

Thanks, will see next year what's going on. :dunno:

Top Bottom