• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I need to start a thread about a guy I heard that went shooing at Don's! :laugh:

All kidding aside, find a better place to shoot. :yesway: Putting aside all of the stuff about what other say about the neighborhood and clientele, the guys that work in the place are not safe and can't be trusted to provide honest and knowledgable information about firearms. I don't think I even have to mention the fact they can care less about safety in their range.
    AND, they are ONLY smart about ONE thing, they stay OFF the range, while the customers are shooting .....

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I've been to Atterbury. But will never go back. For 2 reasons.

1.) Too far of a drive just to shoot a gun.

2.) They are *******s. I had a range master giving me **** because he didn't like my AK. Talking **** about my shooting, and aiming. Threatening me with fines... Watching me and my friend 5ft behind the whole time. He even challenged me to a fight in the parking lot... When I informed the manager of all of this, she basically told me that I could screw off if I didn't like it. And pretty much told me that I was lying. So I made a scene and swore to never go back.

May I ask when this was? I shoot their frequently, and I know the manager and the RO's fairly well. I know damn well, none of the current staff would do such a thing. It used to be run by some douche bags, thanfully they gave it up. I hear some ***** about how things are ran, and I know 99% of it's BS.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    It is always important to watch others shoot at the range so you can avoid getting hit by their ****ups.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    So I'm at a certain indoor range in Indianapolis... that shall remain nameless. But it rhymes with Ron's. Give up? :yesway:

Anyway. My friend and I were just cranking out a few AK magazines to get the bug off our backs, when leaving, we see this jackass with a Hi-Point 9mm. He goes into the range and starts doing his thing. At this point, I had no thought about this guy other than... "Why would you waste money on a ****ty Hi-Point" (Sorry to any Hi-Point owners). I then realized that we had left our targets on the table. We each went back into the range before paying, and picked up our targets. Walking out, we witnessed the tail end of a malfunction of some kind with ol' boy's handgun. He then swings the muzzle towards US, and then towards HIMSELF with a loaded firearm!! My friend, who is taller than me, and was right in line with the muzzle ducked, and said "Woah!" ...But the guy heard nothing.

Ron's employee's of course couldn't have care less when we let them know about the gentleman fixing malfunctions with his eye's in the third lane.

To be perfectly honest with you, I'm shocked that there haven't been any deaths (to my knowledge) in that range! And don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not one of those people that believe in Safety Nazi ranges... 2 seconds between shots. Discrimination of certain firearms. Ect. But this kind of **** is ridiculous!! :ugh:

You reliaze the rules are in place for a reason. I have seen some people at the range that should be no where near a firearm. If you let people shoot however the hell they want, especially those with little to know experience. That's when **** happens. What you just stated would never happen at Atterbury. That guy would be told to leave for pulling **** like that. I just love it when people ***** about rules that are in place for safety reasons. By the way, the rules are set forth by the DNR, as it's State owned property and leased out.

:popcorn:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    May I ask when this was? I shoot their frequently, and I know the manager and the RO's fairly well. I know damn well, none of the current staff would do such a thing. It used to be run by some douche bags, thanfully they gave it up. I hear some ***** about how things are ran, and I know 99% of it's BS.

I've been to Atterbury many times, and the folks there are nice, mature, safe, and friendly (at least as friendly as people who work with loaded guns all day with cans on their ears can be I suppose). I agree, that I couldn't imagine such a scenario at Atterbury staff, at least not in the last few years.

Atterbury is probably the best 100yd range in Indiana.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I've been to Atterbury many times, and the folks there are nice, mature, safe, and friendly (at least as friendly as people who work with loaded guns all day with cans on their ears can be I suppose). I agree, that I couldn't imagine such a scenario at Atterbury staff, at least not in the last few years.

The only time I see the RO's get bent is when people do not listen. It seems some can not follow simple instructions. If that's the case, they sure the hell do not need to be around firearms in my opinion.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The only time I see the RO's get bent is when people do not listen. It seems some can not follow simple instructions. If that's the case, they sure the hell do not need to be around firearms in my opinion.

I've been corrected for touching the table before, and I don't mind one bit. I'm glad to know they take their job seriously, and are watching EVERYBODY, so I don't need to. Atterbury is the place you should go if you are concerned about range safety, because they do it right, and aren't afraid to make corrections.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN

It was sometime in late summer or early autumn last year (2011). But it did indeed happen.

The full story is... (shortened of course) I was shooting my AKM on the 50 yard lane. I tried very hard to put 1 second between each shot. And stuck to it pretty good. I was hitting in about a 10 inch spread, center mass of the target. The guy (He was wearing glasses, sort of a shorter guy. A bit older) was watching my friend and I (We have long hair, and were wearing shorts and Pantera shirts, so we're obviously idiots.). I fired one shot, the board wobbled, and then fired my second shot from that magazine. The board ripped away from the zip tie. He stepped beside me while I was firing, and stopped me. I had my ears in and was standing next to a .357 going off, so I didn't hear his first few comments. I unloaded my rifle, and put my safety on, and stepped back. I asked him what he said...

Me: What?

Him: You shot the zip tie. Thats a $10 fine! You're not shooting center mass. And if you hit those concrete guards up there, thats $100 on [YOU!]

Me: I did no such thing. I can see from here that the zip tie is intact. It just tore away from the cardboard target. And I'm not shooting low... I can see the dirt kicking up dead center behind the target.

Him: I'm just warning you. Those rifles are notoriously inaccurate, and your shooting placement isn't good.

Me: You know what... I think we're just going to leave. This is ridiculous!

Him: Okay, thats on you.

Me: Well I wouldn't be leaving if you weren't being such an ass-hole.

Him: Whats that?

Me: I said, you're acting like an ass-hole, and it seems to be directed at just us...

Him: Do you want to take this to the parking lot?!?! We can finish it there.

Me: Sure.

And then he walks away. This is the point where we went to report his behavior to the range manager. She told us that we were lying, and that he was a good range officer. We were obviously doing something wrong. So thats the basic run down.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN

Which is kind of a silly opinion. Because if you ask me, getting bent out of shape over someone not placing 4 1/2 hours between shots is really unnecessary. I'm not sure of what rules were being broken when I was criticized for shot placement when I was shooting center mass on a 50 yard target, loading one magazine at a time, putting my safety on after every magazine, and doing a pretty good job at putting atleast a second between shots.

I'm extremely safe with guns, and well versed in all types of them. I keep them clean and know most of my local shop employees well enough to be on a first name basis. But, I certainly don't like the way Atterbury is run. I understand that there are alot of retards that own firearms and you have to watch out for them. But what I experienced there is completely unnecessary, and I won't be going back.

scooterb

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    evansville
    Reading all this makes me really glad I live close to a free range with up to 200 yards that's almost always empty... And I've never had a single problem there

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    What? 1 shot/second? That's crazy. Is that how it is at MCFG? Didn't seem like it when I was there.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I shoot one shot per second magazine after magazine, well not consistently.

I get free zip ties, in case any break, or get shot, free pin tacs, and tape if I ask.

I've shot steel frames apart before while sighting in rifles, and have never been charged a dime, though their policy is otherwise.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, just my experience has been opposite. Maybe they THOUGHT you were being dangerous, and quite maybe they were wrong. If they thought you weren't handling the weapon carefully, then I'd hope they had the balls to shut you down, rather than worry about their reputation being tarnished from a disgruntled customer. I do not doubt for a second that people get thrown out, because you basically get one warning, two if your polite probably.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Was in the early 80's at the Carmel location, me and my fater where standing at the counter when one of the employees came running out yelling call 911 she shot herself.
    Some lady came in with a loaded handgun in a case. When she was unziping it it began to fall out, she reached for it and she's dead.
    Come to find out she would have survived the gunshot wound but when the zipper tab went threw her hart that kinda did her in.

I wear a vest at any and all ranges I go to, somethen is better than nothen !

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    I shoot one shot per second magazine after magazine, well not consistently.

I get free zip ties, in case any break, or get shot, free pin tacs, and tape if I ask.

I've shot steel frames apart before while sighting in rifles, and have never been charged a dime, though their policy is otherwise.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, just my experience has been opposite. Maybe they THOUGHT you were being dangerous, and quite maybe they were wrong. If they thought you weren't handling the weapon carefully, then I'd hope they had the balls to shut you down, rather than worry about their reputation being tarnished from a disgruntled customer. I do not doubt for a second that people get thrown out, because you basically get one warning, two if your polite probably.

I disagree with this highly. There is no possible way that I or my friend could have been perceived as being dangerous, or irresponsible with our firearms. Our muzzles stayed pointed down range at all times. Safety was always on when not in use. Mags were out when not in used. I tried to keep the shots slow. Center mass shots. Ect. This situation was just simple discrimination / A simple case of someone being a complete ass.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I disagree with this highly.

I wouldn't go back if that happened to me either. I'm just saying that my experience has been good, nothing like that. They must've thought you were shooting rapid fire, even after being warned, is all I can guess.

People with long hair do get discriminated sometimes, I am a Pantera fan too, and used wear black and have long hair. It sounds like they made a mistake.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    I wouldn't go back if that happened to me either. I'm just saying that my experience has been good, nothing like that. They must've thought you were shooting rapid fire, even after being warned, is all I can guess.

I suppose. But yeah, long story short is that I will never be going back there.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY

Right there being worned for rapid fire ?
    WOW

When I lived in Franklin I went down there all the time, No arshat in a trailer.
    Went down the day after Christmas one year like 8am,-5 deg and shot for a couple hr or so.
    Had to find out how things and gear worked in the cold, go figure the old Russian stuff won the contest
    Dought if that could be done today ?

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    Right there being worned for rapid fire ?
    WOW

When I lived in Franklin I went down there all the time, No arshat in a trailer.
    Went down the day after Christmas one year like 8am,-5 deg and shot for a couple hr or so.
    Had to find out how things and gear worked in the cold, go figure the old Russian stuff won the contest
    Dought if that could be done today ?

Yeah... thats all I trust my life to in rifles. Is Soviet ingenuity! Accurate, and more dependable than a hooker in a silk dress!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Maybe not on Xmas weekend, but when they are open it's like $6/hr. which isn't much, since they usually are very fair with the time billing (surely due to all the cease fires). I never shoot more than two hours, and so that would cost $12.

TIP: Bring high-visi sticker targets, so you don't have to get thumb tacks, and stick about four on the backing at each cease fire, as necessary. Keep your targets off of the gun bench, so you can take them to the line (when you can't touch the gun benches).

Top Bottom