• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    So I'm at a certain indoor range in Indianapolis... that shall remain nameless. But it rhymes with Ron's. Give up? :yesway:

Anyway. My friend and I were just cranking out a few AK magazines to get the bug off our backs, when leaving, we see this jackass with a Hi-Point 9mm. He goes into the range and starts doing his thing. At this point, I had no thought about this guy other than... "Why would you waste money on a ****ty Hi-Point" (Sorry to any Hi-Point owners). I then realized that we had left our targets on the table. We each went back into the range before paying, and picked up our targets. Walking out, we witnessed the tail end of a malfunction of some kind with ol' boy's handgun. He then swings the muzzle towards US, and then towards HIMSELF with a loaded firearm!! My friend, who is taller than me, and was right in line with the muzzle ducked, and said "Woah!" ...But the guy heard nothing.

Ron's employee's of course couldn't have care less when we let them know about the gentleman fixing malfunctions with his eye's in the third lane.

To be perfectly honest with you, I'm shocked that there haven't been any deaths (to my knowledge) in that range! And don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not one of those people that believe in Safety Nazi ranges... 2 seconds between shots. Discrimination of certain firearms. Ect. But this kind of **** is ridiculous!! :ugh:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Never been up to that range before. Are there any range rules posted? Any posters of the 4 rules of safe firearm handling?

It very well may have been the guys first time out with a gun, and nobody has every taught him how to safely handle a firearm. Sucks that he was unsafe with you guys for sure, but it could have been a learning opportunity for him as well. Did you stop him and correct him or just leave him be?

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    There have been a few people shot at Dons. Just FYI.

There are about a million other reasons you shouldn't be going there as well. Hopefully you've learned your lesson.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    There have been a few people shot at Dons. Just FYI.

There are about a million other reasons you shouldn't be going there as well. Hopefully you've learned your lesson.

We've always known that they are dangerous. But it's the only option we've got for shooting our rifles on a regular basis. No other rifle ranges in central Indiana that I know of.

And no, we didn't personally go and correct him. We told the employee's about the incident, expecting them to do something about it. But we watched for several seconds, and they just went back to standing around the back, counting money. I didn't dare take the personal approach at that point. The only thing going through my head was "This guy just pointed a chambered firearm at me!". Not to mention that I may have startled him, approaching from behind. Wasn't sure if he might jump and drop the gun, or what. So I just left it alone.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I need to start a thread about a guy I heard that went shooing at Don's! :laugh:

All kidding aside, find a better place to shoot. :yesway: Putting aside all of the stuff about what other say about the neighborhood and clientele, the guys that work in the place are not safe and can't be trusted to provide honest and knowledgable information about firearms. I don't think I even have to mention the fact they can care less about safety in their range.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I need to start a thread about a guy I heard that went shooing at Don's! :laugh:

All kidding aside, find a better place to shoot. :yesway: Putting aside all of the stuff about what other say about the neighborhood and clientele, the guys that work in the place are not safe and can't be trusted to provide honest and knowledgable information about firearms. I don't think I even have to mention the fact they can care less about safety in their range.

You can find a plethera of information proving Que's point here, one thread from me included. Whether it's bloodshot eyed marijuana stenched employees handling firearms to employees threatening customers on the range for taking photos (unbuttoned retention strap and weak hand out), to employees pointing guns at their faces to look down the barrel before clearing it, I've seen it all in the few visits I had years ago. Stay far, far away from Don's guns.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    We've always known that they are dangerous. But it's the only option we've got for shooting our rifles on a regular basis. No other rifle ranges in central Indiana that I know of.

And no, we didn't personally go and correct him. We told the employee's about the incident, expecting them to do something about it. But we watched for several seconds, and they just went back to standing around the back, counting money. I didn't dare take the personal approach at that point. The only thing going through my head was "This guy just pointed a chambered firearm at me!". Not to mention that I may have startled him, approaching from behind. Wasn't sure if he might jump and drop the gun, or what. So I just left it alone.

Check out Indy Trading Post. You may have to drive a bit farther, but it would be well worth the trip and also give you some peace of mind that you will leave with the same number of holes you walked in with.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Check out Indy Trading Post. You may have to drive a bit farther, but it would be well worth the trip and also give you some peace of mind that you will leave with the same number of holes you walked in with.

Nice range there, but pistol calibers only. Their AK wouldn't have been allowed.

scooterb

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    evansville
    I seriously think that some people should not even be allowed to own firearms due to lack of common sense.... That and I agree with others, I would definitely be looking for a new place to shoot

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    There was a guy that shot himself at Dons a year or two ago. They claim he committed suicide. That is one place I will never set foot in again. Too many assclowns in there. Customers and employees. I would be leery to shoot with anyone who loves high point guns anyway, lol.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    Have you tried the driving over to the Camp Atterbury public range? You can fire your rifles and have a safer day both at the same time!

I've been to Atterbury. But will never go back. For 2 reasons.

1.) Too far of a drive just to shoot a gun.

2.) They are *******s. I had a range master giving me **** because he didn't like my AK. Talking **** about my shooting, and aiming. Threatening me with fines... Watching me and my friend 5ft behind the whole time. He even challenged me to a fight in the parking lot... When I informed the manager of all of this, she basically told me that I could screw off if I didn't like it. And pretty much told me that I was lying. So I made a scene and swore to never go back.

Top Bottom