• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    So my wife and I are on "vacation" right now in western washington state, north of Seattle. We are back here visiting family after living in Indianapolis for the last year. My wife was born here, I lived here for 12 years and this is the first time back since moving.

Washington pretty much sucks. Let me get this outta the way, it IS pretty with the mountains and the ocean water but thats the end of the nice things I have to say about it.

Everything here is expensive, from groceries to houses. Home prices are double and lets just take beer as an example; an average 18 pack of regular beer in indy you can easily find for less than $9, here your lucky if you find it for $15. Forget about eating out, there are less than half the choices of food that you have in the east and what you do have is $$$.

This area is LOADED with liberal white people and I am still seeing a good amount of Obama stickers. Lots of buisneses are closed down since just a year ago, the ones that are doing well cater to Canadians (who are EVERYWHERE). Unemployment here is pretty high, if you want a job you are going to have a hard time finding more than $10 an hour (remember, your average house is $250k) and your job will be in retail serving canadians. All elected officials here are very liberal and therefore taxes are high. Minimum wage is nealry $10 an hour so dont even think about starting a buisness here.

Luckily we are driving a "cash for clunkers" eco car from a family member, gas prices here are around $3.20. Everyone here is "green" and therefore better than you...the smug level is really high. We have to put up with it for four more days, we fly back to Indy on sunday.

So ya, I miss and appreciate Indy...when I get back I am planning on buying some more guns so I've got that to look forward to. Plus, I love my job there and cant wait to get back to work.

end of rant

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Where in Washington is your wife from?
    My wife's family lives on Whidbey Island and most are from the Cashmare area.
    Your right on about everything regarding prices.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    We are from Bellingham, Whidbey Island is pretty close. That is an rare conservative area, but that is easily explained with the Navy base there.

Well try to have a good time. We get out there every couple of years, but only spend a couple of days with her family. It helps that a couple of her family members are Dep. Sheriff's out there.

M88A1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    I was born and raised in Vancouver/longview area. Back in 84 or so thing started changing as Californians started moving up and buying up the cheap land and houses thus raising prices. After 22 yrs on active duty (Army) I didnt want to go back because of the way it has become a norther liberal providence of claifornia.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Sadly my sister lives out there in Seattle. And I hate to say it she is becoming more liberal the longer she is out there. I wish there were more good art glass jobs around here so she could move back home. But she is there due to that's where work in her occupation is. :(

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    A beautiful state turned ugly by economic failure. I loved it when I went to high school there. Sounds like the city and burbs have went downhill but the Cascades, Olympics and tall pines remain the same and makes all the difference. Have a safe trip.

davers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    We are from Bellingham, Whidbey Island is pretty close. That is an rare conservative area, but that is easily explained with the Navy base there.

I had a Cousin who lived out in Bellingham & his Sons still live out that way. Been there a couple of time to hunt Black Bear. Very pretty country but very rough hunting! He was VERY conservative & wouldn't vote for Obama.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I lived in Bremerton for a couple of years with the Navy, and spent mucho time in Port Orchard, Seattle, Squiem (sp?), Port Angeles and Port Townsend. That was in the early 1990's, and I loved being downtown Seattle watching the Rap videos and Grunge videos being made on the streets.

I heard that 1995-ish that it got very, very expensive to live there. If I had the money, I'd live there in a heartbeat for the views. I'd have to live on one of the islands around there because I couldn't stand the liberal atmosphere.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I lived in Bremerton for a couple of years with the Navy, and spent mucho time in Port Orchard, Seattle, Squiem (sp?), Port Angeles and Port Townsend. That was in the early 1990's, and I loved being downtown Seattle watching the Rap videos and Grunge videos being made on the streets.

I heard that 1995-ish that it got very, very expensive to live there. If I had the money, I'd live there in a heartbeat for the views. I'd have to live on one of the islands around there because I couldn't stand the liberal atmosphere.

Any time we're out there we make it a point to go to Port Townsend. There's a hotel there that we like "The Manresa Castle", that is haunted by a monk that committed suicide by hanging himself. There is some good eats in Seattle and going to Pike Place Market is worth going to the city by itself.

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Its all good again, were back in Indy.

The part that sucks is that its labor day and no gun stores are open. With my work schedule I wont be able to go gun shopping until this coming saturday :xmad:

Dogman, imo Pike Place is...meh. Watch some guys throw some fish, wait around for your wife while she looks through all the gimmicky crap, pay way too much for everything. There is some good food around there though, I'll give you that.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    Used to be stationed up in Ft.Lewis, about 40 minutes south of Seattle. Couldn't agree with you more. Honestly, the first thing I'll usually say about Washington is that it is a beautiful state. The second thing I say is I would love to move back someday if it weren't for all the liberal BS that goes on there.

The worst was when you would go out on the town at night. My buddies used to do whatever they could to look more like civillians. If you were going out to the city and would go to a bar most chicks wouldn't give you the time of day if they knew you were a Soldier. Even worse is, that you'd see plenty of hot chicks with these homeless looking scrawny dudes that you knew only sat around and smoked pot all day. Yet these hot babes would keep them around for some reason.

The girls there were never too good to ask you to buy them a drink though. What they would do is sort of go on a double date and the guys would go off somewhere on their own so they didn't have to buy drinks for their ladies. Sure they might buy a drink or two for some other chicks and give a number out. They were losers. The girls were worse. They knew what their men were up to, so they would go out and find Joes to buy them drinks at a bar. They would talk and dance it up as long as you were buying them drinks. Then about 20 minutes from closing time, they would take off or their wimpy boyfriend would show up. All of a sudden it would be like they had never seen you in their life, they would just turn around and walk out, no goodbye or anything.

I don't see a reason to ever go back to that state. I love women. I hate girls who look like women though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Brema-hoes, Brema-saurus, Brema-lows ring any bells?

Sir Mixalot and his "I like big butts" was recorded when I as there.

I've been to Ft. Lewis, too. And sub base Bangor.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    God I loved Leavenworth. A beautiful Dutch community that seemed to skip all the gloomy weatof Seattle because it was over the pass about 9k ft altitude iirc.

Touristy nice and friendly and none of the gritty grunge of Seattle.

Whidby was awesome and Friday harbor and Victoria was beautiful as well.

Drove through a cloud in the mountains and went whale watching. On our honeymoon.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    i was stationed at McChord AFB and lived off base in Puyallup. My wife worked up in Seattle and we loved it out there. For the record, we are both non-grunge,conservative types. The rain didn't even bother us much, we both grew up in the Region and were used to cold, snowy winter.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    zombie04.gif

This seriously needs to be an INGO emoticon.

Top Bottom