Washington gun owner found guilty because son used her gun in shootout with cops

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Failing to secure a firearm and allowing a felon to access to it is not a novel theory of prosecution under these circumstances.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    There is nothing in either source that shows that she "allowed access" in this particular incident. There is nothing that shows that he lived with her and had access to this guns in this incident. If that was brought out, then I would agree with the both of you.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Ouch. But he was such a GOOD boy!

After reading the linky, though, I'd say it was less than clear what her intent was. I'd lean toward the state's version if they had a little more proof than a cell phone photo.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ouch. But he was such a GOOD boy!

After reading the linky, though, I'd say it was less than clear what her intent was. I'd lean toward the state's version if they had a little more proof than a cell phone photo.
    If they can prove from the photo they were her guns, and they were in fact real guns, that's all they need! The mere act of allowing a convicted felon to "look" at your firearm, while in his possession is an offense!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Possession is possession, not ownership....and the whole thing lit off with him being found by the police shooting a rifle...so his possession of a firearm was clear. He also shot at the police with a shotgun...again, good evidence of possession of the shotgun. Her defense was that she had recently taken up skeet shooting nd that she bought the others for home protection. She appears to not have denied that the guns were hers. What the article leaves out is what she claimed about how her son got the guns. I am assuming she claims he stole them. That's a classic jury question...and it appears the jury did not buy her story.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    Both articles don't lead me to believe there is still not enough public information to determine the mothers intent. Whether she was purchasing the guns for herself or her son there is a bit of information that can lead both ways. I would have to have more information before judging either way. But this is something that makes me wonder about how well I secure my firearms in my home. These articles clearly send the message to me to pay attention to who you allow into your home and how you secure your weapons.

Either way I am sure she did not have an idea that her kid was going to wig out and start shooting. Either way she is going to pay a price for it now.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    Possession is possession, not ownership....and the whole thing lit off with him being found by the police shooting a rifle...so his possession of a firearm was clear. He also shot at the police with a shotgun...again, good evidence of possession of the shotgun. Her defense was that she had recently taken up skeet shooting nd that she bought the others for home protection. She appears to not have denied that the guns were hers. What the article leaves out is what she claimed about how her son got the guns. I am assuming she claims he stole them. That's a classic jury question...and it appears the jury did not buy her story.

"Now son, I'm going to put my skeet guns over here behind the sofa, but don't you touch them!!"

Top Bottom