• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    Well, during this political cycle, I've taken to answering the phone ALOT. I'm having fun with them so if they had called me, I would have tipped the scales. The NRA or any gun favorable entity isn't going to call and ask so I would assume they hate guns and let em have it.

JOLLYKART

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Mooresville
    They have convinced them selfs that the same cross section of America they have been using sense the 40's still represents what America thinks. Shame. I think everyone would agree, if you want information, ask for it on a voters ballet, otherwise it just becomes worthless information not suitable to wipe your rear with.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Statisticians have some magical formulae they've developed that in most cases seem to represent reality with pretty small samples, but their logic is sometimes faulty, and they fail to account for motivations of the surveyed. This is an excellent example. Asking questions of people, many of whom have been given good reason for skepticism, and expecting honest answers, is a recipe for failure. If I thought there was any prospect they really wanted to learn, rather than support an ideology, I would be more likely to be charitable, and consider them scientists, but I'm not buying it.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Response bias, as mentioned above, in this type of poll is a problem. The sample sizes cited are not a problem as long as all in the target population were randomly sampled and all of the population was equally likely to be sampled. Law of Large Numbers calculations point to statistical power topping out at about 3000 sample size with very little gain in accuracy above that regardless of population size. Response bias, though, is highly motivated is this type of poll. Unless I know you, my response is a standard "No" in response to gun ownership questions. I don't want anyone's crooked teenager or nephew of step-brother hearing any loose talk and come looking for an easy score when they think no one is home. I would think the same kind of worry applies to an anonymous caller.

Top Bottom