• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    I being new to the gun world and new to this site, do not think you were too harsh. It seemed very informative and he asked the questions, and you replied. It seems like you did a good job explaining everything. I only just recently learned what ltch meant.

Bear1023

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Kokomo
    i'm a newbie but it looked good to me. besides if he had more guns at his home he wouldnt care if you had 1 with you.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Here's how I would have answered this and at this point.

Fellow bretheren on INGO:

I submit this question to you - was I too harsh in dealing with this person?

Here is the back story - I saw an ad for a 4x4 winter beater on Craigslist, by the description it didn't seem to be in that bad of shape. The poster stated that he was getting rid of it because he lost his license, and could not get it back until spring...

Sorry. I am no longer interested in this transaction. I don't feel people who are not responsible enough to hang on to driver's license are competent or responsible enough adult to own a gun. I don't want it on my conciense that I was the person who provided you with one. You would probably be better off trading it for a little scooter the rest of the people with no driver's license use to get around.

Have a nice day.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Looks good and sounds very "professional" it was not a rant
    but the facts, don't worry about holding strong convictions
    some people can deal with it and others can't. :twocents:

You were right to questions this statement, however on the flip side
    there are still some on this board that ask "what does LTCH stand for?"
    So he might have never heard the term and just knows it as a carry permit
    or gun permit, gun license, etc.

I wouldn't hold that "LTCH" baloney against ANY ONE. Now if you just speak english and he doesn't have a carry permit for a gun it would be different but these acronyms and local jargon and people who act like they believe people fall off the planet at the edge of their own little community are a pet peeve for me. Teachers especially love to behave that way. I've seen it a dozen times particularly at IVY Tech. They will make up new or shorter ways to say something they've been standing around talking about for 20 years and then tell some one who has been out in the real world DOING it for 20 years they need the class because they replied with "WT heck are you talking about?" to some kanute valve LTC connection to the muffler bearing neg. connect terminal.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I wouldn't hold that "LTCH" baloney against ANY ONE.

Yes, that's what I was saying, he probably does not know what it means,
    again he probably just knows it as a license.

"WT heck are you talking about?" to some kanute valve LTC connection to the muffler bearing neg. connect terminal.

You forgot a Henway in that list.

zky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Probably a little too harsh considering you offered to trade him the gun...he wasn't looking for a gun for his vehicle with ignorance about the gun laws.

Most people don't recognize what LTCH means, they always hear the term CCW referenced in conversations.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Yeah, I think you were a little harsh with him.

1. He was willing to make the trade as long as he could reasonably verify that he was dealing with a LEGAL firearm. Would anybody here have done much less? Just because YOU didn't have the receipt that he wanted to see didn't mean his concern was not warranted.

2. As has been stated, he probably has never heard the term LTCH. You didn't ask him if he had a permit, license etc. If you had given him a chance to respond after you asked him in terms he might have understood, he might have ACTUALLY had a 'permit'.

3. He (or anyone else) did not need a LTCH to transport a gun from your point of sale back to his house. The law says from "point of purchase" not "from a gunshop".

4. If you didn't want to sell to him because he (maybe?) didn't have a LTCH & therefore you couldn't verify if he was eligible to buy your gun then tell him that. OTOH, the law doesn't say you CAN't sell the guy the gun without it. The law says you can't KNOWINGLY sell to a prohibited person. If you don't KNOW he's prohibited, you're covered IAW the law. Even if he DID have a LTCH it doesn't mean it wasn't revoked

5. Just because the guy was concerned about giving a STRANGER FROM THE INTERNET WHO ADMITTED TO HAVING A GUN his address doesn't mean he's anti-gun. It means he's concerned about his & his family's safety. Again would anybody else here have done differently. I WOULDN'T have given a STRANGER FROM THE INTERNET my address & I'm not anti-gun AT ALL. Heck, most here recommend opening your door to a stranger with a gun IN HAND if at all.

He didn't act anti-gun. AT ALL.

You went off on a long spiel about the benefits & responsibilities of gun ownership (like he was a member of the Brady Bunch) to a guy who was willing to be a member of OUR CLUB (i.e. a gun-owner). Maybe he already was. If not, I hope you didn't scare him away.

preachere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Mishawaka
    I agree on him simply not knowing what an LTCH. I didn't know what it was but was able to figure it out 'cause I'm smart that way. :rolleyes: I've always called it a CCW or Concealed Carry Permit.

I've made literally hundreds of buys, probably thousands, guns and otherwise, over the past 10 years and I've had people that would NOT let me come to their house or give me their address. I've done deals for all kinds of things, firearms included, at parks, restaurants, parking lots, Meijer, you name it. If it makes the other party comfortable to meet there because they don't know me, I'm fine with that.

I don't think you were harsh with the guy at all. Will he think you're a know-it-all, in-your-face-turd? Maybe. But don't lose any sleep over it and drive on. Life is too short.

Regards,
    Eric

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    sounds like he understood something about firearms, just not the acronym....fine line between cautious and paranoid these days

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    UPDATE:

Thanks to all who responded. To answer questions to a few of the replies.....

1. Yes, he did respond. He informed me that he did not realize that you needed to have a LTCH to carry a pistol. I informed him that in order to keep out of trouble, he would need one if that were his intent; and as such that is why I asked if he had one.
    2. He indicated that his intent, if we did end up trading, was simply to re-sell the pistol, in order to finance a large screen television, and that he had no intention of keeping it.
    3. Being a rather large man (6', 300lbs), I have no desire to obtain - either now or at any point in the future - or to putt around on a scooter...... I am sure that I could make it work, but just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should.
    (Fat man on a little bike..... :joke:)
    He ended up trading the vehicle for something else, and thanked me again for all the info. I feel that overall he got a positive experience out of it, and some decent info. As for the lingo that we use, IMHO, if we are going to help clear the air regarding the laws here in our great state, we need to educate the masses properly. I realize that some institutions invent acronyms in order to make things seem more difficult than they are - and you are right - that is not a sane thing to do. HOWEVER, if when talking to people, you refer to the License as a Concealed Carry Permit / License, when the law makes no regard as to the legality of open carry; doesn't that further confuse people, when they see a "man with a gun"? Doesn't it further spread the mis-information? I apologize for being so black and white about it, but I feel that if we are going to try to educate folks, it should be with correct information.

Again, thanks to all who responded!

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Nicely written and very informative - Maybe too informative for what the seller wanted but nonetheless not too harsh. Good job

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Pretty good stuff. Very informative on your part, and not too smart *** at all, I thought. As for the terminology, I just call it a carry permit, and most people know what that means. +1 for being careful.

Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would have given him a more simple version of what you've said. He may be the type to just skim through long paragraphs because he probably has other deals in the works.

Top Bottom