• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    So after some trouble in the neighborhood, I installed a camera and DVR system. 3 cameras record the front of my house. I was randomly looking at some footage just now of last night and I saw a truck drive by very slowly, shine a flashlight at my property and keep going. They never came back, but it looked fishy as heck, especially at 0130 this morning. Lemme know what you think...

ETA: The video stored on my HDD and viewed on my HDTV is darn near theater quality, this video doesn't do my system justice, but you still can make out the make and model of vehicle.

Suspicious Truck 8-19-09 video by vupdblue - Photobucket

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    My guess is no. They appeared to be driving the same speed up the whole neighborhood, likely looking for someone. I'd treat every incident as if it were serious though. Keep an extra eye out and leave your fans off at night. :-) Stay safe

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I figured they were looking for targets of opportunity. There's been some stuff go missing in the neighborhood in the last few weeks, and I have had my truck broken into about 6 weeks ago...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I vote "no" as well. Didn't see anything in the video that looked like a flashlight coming from the truck, and they didn't stop or do the slow roll as one might expect if they really wanted a good look at your place.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Can't watch the video just yet...dial up + streaming video = fail.

Some questions, though...make and model of truck? Did they slow down as they approached, or where they already traveling slowly? What did they illuminate with the flashlight...just your mailbox, or did they scan your property with it?

Reason I ask is it could have just been a lost delivery guy...don't know how late pizza delivery runs in your neck of the woods, but this was something I commonly did on late night deliveries, when it was hard to read the address off the mailbox. Make and model are important, as most delivery guys wouldn't run anything that guzzles gas.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    It looked suspicious to me, I meen who spots your house with a flash light at 1:30 in the morning???? they sure as heck were not out shining deer!!!. just my two cents worth.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    It doesn't look that fishy to me Nick but it looks like the flashlight was on the whole time. also they appeared to be looking for something... like a dog, or a kid who didn't come home or something like that. If they were casing you out they would have slowed dramattically in front of your house and one would have seen the flashlight do a lot more dancing (moving around) to take in all the info/imagery they could while not stopping altogether.
    You should head up the neighborhood watch program though, great eyes and attentiveness. :rockwoot:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    If it were going any slower, they may as well have walked...

That is what got me too, the were going way to slow, plus how long did it sit down the road, is there a stop sign there? even if there is a stop sign there was no cross trafic!!! they just waited there!!! smells to high heaven to me!!. Trust the force luke!!!.:D

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Looks fishy to me too, but its hard to tell what the motivation might be. To me, the question is "would a LEO driving by and seeing this have reason to stop the car and ask a few questions?" If the answer is "yes" then there's a rat in that woodpile.

I like the camera setup quite a bit. Please share info on the system if you will.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    At this point, I feel I should point out that if you're worried about a possible break-in...I've got all manner of spare time between midnight and sunrise, and could guard your sleep for a nominal fee...:D

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Looks fishy to me too, but its hard to tell what the motivation might be. To me, the question is "would a LEO driving by and seeing this have reason to stop the car and ask a few questions?" If the answer is "yes" then there's a rat in that woodpile.

I like the camera setup quite a bit. Please share info on the system if you will.

I would say yes I have PC for a stop!! Long hesitation at a stop!! driving well below the posted speed limit! flash light shines out the side window! Bingo we have a winner. I would have stooped him and asked a few questions.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

I've installed quite a few systems at various places over the last few years. I've learned that these things come from China, plain and simple. I've also learned that if you buy the ones that have manuals written in pseudo-Chinenglish, you can get very good pricing versus buying the ones with the English manuals and "Sony" printed on the side.... Ebay is a good place to start. Here are the exact cameras I bought: 1/3" HR Sony CCD Outdoor Security IR 100ft Dome Camera - eBay (item 390081450437 end time Aug-20-09 08:15:00 PDT)

At $55 each, they are about a third of the price as the ones with Sony, Sharp, Samsung etc. stamped on the side. The quality is top of the line too. They record to a DVR with a 500GB HDD. That stores about 4.5 days of continuous recording on full quality and max. framerate.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    At this point, I feel I should point out that if you're worried about a possible break-in...I've got all manner of spare time between midnight and sunrise, and could guard your sleep for a nominal fee...:D

But the question is: Would you where those cool night vision glasses you have on in your avatar? ;)

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    I'd say you were "quick-cased" by some opportunists looking for something easy and quick to grab and go. Maybe looking for a dog, too. Since you're more or less on the same side of town that Smitty506th is, I'd mention it to the police, and maybe Hendricks Co Sheriff as well. Somebody thinks they can make some quick cash at the pawn shop.

Top Bottom