• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dispatch765

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Brown County
    Just found this on another forum. Don't know if there has been a post on this or not so I will give you the info anyway.

There is a scammer on rugerforum.com. This person is emailing members outside of the forum and will send a cashiers check for more than the asking price. Then says sent too much and asks for a "refund" of the overpaid amount. After refund is sent he stops payment on check and you're out the "refund". Seems like they are not interested in the goods, just money. This is an example of what one of the emails says:

Good day,

I came across your advert online and am very much interested but will need to know some few and very necessary details before making the purchase.

I will kindly like to know the last offer you will accept for it and also be very happy to know if you can send me some current or updated pictures so i can know it present condition.

I will be looking forward to your mail. .

Thanks and Best Regards

The tip is the poor grammer. Don't know if this link is enabled but here is the thread on rugerforum

RugerForum.com :: View topic - Scam Artists have arrived!

Be careful out there.

Micah

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Except it's a phony check...

It's amazing that people fall for this stuff.

I don't even TALK to someone I can't understand, much less reply to an email written in kindergarten Taliban jibberish...

I love it when they try really hard to speak proper english and just can't quite get it right...

some few and very necessary details
    I will kindly like to know
    so i can know it present condition

Maybe this should go in the "FAIL" thread? :dunno:

Where I work, one phrase we always run across when one of the overseas folks is tasked with something is "I will do the needful". Cracks me up every time! :laugh:

dispatch765

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Brown County
    I think it will be harder to happen here due to the 50 post min. I don't think Ruger forum has that. Still..Just watch out. Some people have a tendancy to pick your pocket with one hand while they're shaking yours with their other.

Micah

Winchest55

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    ANDERSON
    just a quick note. these scammers are also on craigslist and use local newspaper adds as well. i have received a couple of these fake checks for a bigger amount as well. you just have to ignore them and throw them away.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I run a SNOWCAT discussion and see these types of scams very commonly. Its a tactic that has been around for quite a while. I've seen it on lots of big ticket items from Tractors to Motorcycles to Jet Skis to Snowcats and Snowmobiles. I'm sure it is commonly used on many other types of goods.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    These scumbags are everywhere these days. They are all over craigslist and the like too. I guess they just sit around in Nigeria and surf the internet looking for people to scam.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    If a person has nothing to loose then I dont trust em.... Ill stick to FTF exchanges or actual businesses. I will never pay any person using a check or money order. Cash is king.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well when some one uses the word "advert" in their emails I guess I get a little suspicious, especialy if they're supposed to be from Arkansas. They prey on your desire to make the deal...if you are willing to walk away because your spidey senses are tingling, it will save you a lot of heartache.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I didn't see this in the replies yet, but don't touch this stuff with a 10-foot pole - cashing those phony money orders will land you in hot water as it takes a few weeks for the banks to discover the fraud after you get the money. At that time you'll be a guilty party. I learned this from a really good radio show about these scams once...

Fraud on all levels- stay away!

Top Bottom