• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    I've skinned way too many coon to ever eat one...yuck! Alll that greasy fat, horrible smell, and diseases...I'll pass. I have been told they are good food though I just can't get past the idea. I'd rather eat my pet dog...if I was starving!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Quite a few years back, I had coons climbing on my roof and going into a chimney. I asked the CO here about what my options were, and he said I could trap it and take it somewhere and release it, and added that it would probably come back if I didn't take it far enough away. OR, I could just shoot it and be done with it. He also said shooting it is what he would do. So, that's what I did. If they are repeatedly paying visits to your property, it's just a matter of time til they start damaging stuff.:twocents:

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a buddy out here that loves eating raccoon. It is actually his dad's favorite thing to eat! I haven't brought myself to go try it yet... maybe next week..

And as far as damages.... they don't only damage property. I spent a summer trapping and banding wood ducks and raccoons were my worst enemy. They ate so many of my ducks! Needless to say, the culprits were dealt with when encountered.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    coons break bird feeders. breaking/damaging property is the definition of the term nuisance animal. although a bird feeder is kinda cheap and insignificant, property is property.

I have had deer break my bird feeders. Does that make them a "nuisance animal" subject to being killed out of season?

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I have had deer break my bird feeders. Does that make them a "nuisance animal" subject to being killed out of season?
    Out of season control permits
    In some localized areas of high deer populations, excessive deer-related damage may occur. If you are experiencing major damage, you may request out of season control permits from the DNR.
    To qualify for the permits, you must have a minimum loss of $500 in deer damage that has occurred or is considered inevitable during the calendar year. Permits are issued only on the recommendation of a district wildlife biologist and/or conservation officer.
    If you are experiencing extensive deer damage, contact your local district wildlife biologist. The biologist can help to develop a deer reduction plan and may be able to provide deer control permits for your property.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Out of season control permits
    In some localized areas of high deer populations, excessive deer-related damage may occur. If you are experiencing major damage, you may request out of season control permits from the DNR.
    To qualify for the permits, you must have a minimum loss of $500 in deer damage that has occurred or is considered inevitable during the calendar year. Permits are issued only on the recommendation of a district wildlife biologist and/or conservation officer.
    If you are experiencing extensive deer damage, contact your local district wildlife biologist. The biologist can help to develop a deer reduction plan and may be able to provide deer control permits for your property.

Thanks, but my comment was supposed to be in PURPLE

Chevans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    I do nuisance animal control for a living and the way I understand it is that" you can kill it on your own property, you just can not transport it anywhere with out a permit. That means you have to bury it on your property. The correct thing to do is just apply for a temp permit from the DNR and once it's caught the conservation officer will direct you where to take it. If no permit and it's in your possession then it's considered poaching. Remember even a poacher could just call it a nuisance animal.

Chevans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Also get rid of that feeder if you are using the cracked corn, sunflower mixter. It attracts everything and eventually the chipmunks, squirrel ,raccoon , will decide not to travel to get their food and just live in your house.

Top Bottom