• jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    FYI...
    SOURCE: Shotgunworld.com • View topic - WARNING: Cheaper thandirt gives out your credit card info

A few weeks ago I noticed I had been getting a charge for $12 from a source called "complete savings". I never thought much about it since it was probably just another online store I bought from, but I got charged again yesterday so i did some research. Turns out 1 800 826 1885 "complete savings" is a scam company that "markets with other businesses" and basically gets you on a "membership" and charges you. What they really do is simply get your credit card info from other phone/online businesses and start charging you without permission, but state that you gave them permission when you did business with this other website/company. Many people don't notice it since it's a small fee and dont' check their accounts very often. One of the most known businesses where customers are victimized is ordering by credit /debit card to Pizza Hut.

I just called them to get my refund and they told me that when I ordered from Cheaper than dirt.com I was enrolled in this discount service where apparently I can get a discount on certain "dining or shopping experiences" by paying 12 dollars a month. I NEVER ENROLLED IN ANYTHING LIKE THIS. They've been withdrawing 12 dollars every month from my account for 5 months without me even knowing it. I demanded a full refund.

I'm never doing any business with Cheaperthandirt.com again. I can't believe they just sell out customer billing info like that. I was so pissed. Anyone else dealt with this kind of stuff before?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    CTD is the same company that jacked their prices through the roof at the beginning of the year. People continue to buy from them. :dunno:

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    Same thing happened to my fiance. She is a music teacher and ordered some music off-line and for 7 months she did not notice a 12 charge on the card from somwhere like you descibe. When she did, she called and they gave her 4 months back and said they would refund the other 3 if she filled out the forms that they since have not sent.

Be careful out there folks.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    IIRC, when you check out at CTD, there's an option box somewhere that allows you to opt out of this. Of course it's small, out of the way, and the default setting is to NOT opt out... :xmad:

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    Shooter is correct. There is a small box and the default is to NOT OPT OUT. You actually have to change it or it will enroll you. I noticed it last month when ordering some stuff. Probably won't use them again, but they do have some cool misc. ammo stuff.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    No, but I did go through my checking account after reading this to make sure I wasn't missing something.

On the above I always check for the email/newsletter boxes when I order stuff just to CYA.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have only used them twice in my life. No problems I know of. I'm going to research it. If it is there business practice I will never do business with them again and will post this in every gun forum I can find.

Follow-up: I just did some research using Google and there are more than a few posts about people being ripped off by this less than ethical business pratice. I also e-mailed Cheaper Than Dirt to find out what their take on this is. I will post the response if I receive one.

Last edited:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    :xmad:Well that's just great!:xmad:

I just ordered a 3.5# connector from them.
    But since you pointed this out I will be watching my credit card and nip it in the bud:ar15:

Midway USA from now on for me.:rockwoot:

OP repped BTW

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you're a PayPal user, there is a way to set up "Secure Credit Cards" using your PayPal account. You can create a one time or multi use card to use online just like a regular credit or debit card.

I have started using this to help eliminate the possibility for scamming or stealing credit card numbers. I don't think this completely protects you, but I think it is better than a regular credit card. It certainly eliminates any future or repeat billing.

My :twocents:...

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Something silmiliar to that happened to me. I cancelled it some time ago and did not ask for a refund because I thought maybe I did it myself when I bought some ammo from The Sportsmans Guide, some of the ammo was on backorder for so long that I called and cancelled this $12.00 a month I noticed on my statement. I thought I joined for a buyers discount so I thought it was my fault, well maybe not I guess.

I got an email last week that says I can get my money back if I fill out this form and there was a link to a website that I was suspicious so I kept the email but did not click on it. When I saw this thread I did, it looks real.

This is the text from the link in the email.

Overview

If you are a current member in one or more of the membership programs listed below and decide to cancel your membership, or you recently cancelled one or more of your memberships in such programs, you may be entitled to receive a refund for the membership fees you paid.
    The following membership programs of Webloyalty.com are included: Reservation Rewards, Shopper Discounts & Rewards, Complete Savings, Travel Values Plus, and/or Wallet Shield (the "Programs").

Your Options

• To obtain a refund, you must complete, sign and submit a Refund Claim Form postmarked on or before January 29, 2010 to the third-party administrator at the address on the form, or email (in .pdf format) to webmarketingclaims@gardencitygroup.com no later than January 29, 2010.
    • If you wish to cancel your current membership(s), you must complete, sign and submit a Cancel Request Form to the third-party administrator, or email it (in .pdf format) to webmarketingclaims@gardencitygroup.com. If you decide to cancel your Program membership, you may also be entitled to a refund of the membership fees if you submit a complete and timely postmarked Refund Claim Form.
    original link

Webmarketing Claims Administration

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    I placed an order at CTD about a year ago and found out after the fact that they ship from two warehouses and hit me with 2 shipping charges. That really soured me on the company. I too have noticed that there prices are quite high. AIM Surplus is more my style. I love doing business with those guys......

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    It's not illegal and it's their choice to conduct business this way, giving you the option to opt-out.

It's also my choice NOT to shop with them, and after reading this - I will not.

Top Bottom