• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So today is my birthday, 27 years old, and I feel every bit of it now. Planning on going out with the family to Lafayette, to Applied Ballistics. I want to try shooting there, 'cause I've never been there yet. I called today, and was asking directions from the mall. Not sure who I talked to, but he told me if I was bringing any rifles, they have to be enclosed in a case. Soft or hard. Said it was policy, they don't know if someone walking into the store with a rifle is planning on shooting there, or robbing the place. Don't want to take any chances. I have no rifle cases. Not trying to be sarcastic, I asked him if I would just wrap them up in plastic trash bags. He thought that was hilarious, but said no.
    Is this really the policy there? I really want to go, but would like to bring a couple rifles. Where can I find cases, but not spend a lot of money?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Gander mountian 12.oo for rifle/shot gun cases. Or you can borrow a few from me for the weekend.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Honesltly... just wrap them up in a towel and go shoot.... once you are there they are not going to turn a customer away... i understand the rule, but as long as you are making an attempt at following it i think you will be fine.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Honesltly... just wrap them up in a towel and go shoot.... once you are there they are not going to turn a customer away... i understand the rule, but as long as you are making an attempt at following it i think you will be fine.

Having met the guy, I suspect he might turn you away. I got the impression he's a stickler for his rules, though not a jerk about it.

You can get soft cases as low as $10 at Walmart or Dicks. They aren't good cases, but they will be sufficient.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'll check them out. Kinda seems dumb to have to buy a couple cases just so I can take them there and shoot. But then again, probably a good idea to have cases on hand anyway...

gmiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Rifles are safer when carried in a case. With it out of the case you might lay it on the counter or lean it up against a wall or something like that, being totally careless of where it's pointed. But in a case, you can do all that, and conceal the fact that it's loaded, cocked, and has a few other things in the case that could hit the trigger at any time.

In short, it's "safety theater". It makes people feel better knowing there are rules, but actually makes you less safe. If you're going to shoot anywhere other than your own property, they are rules you'll just have to get used to and ignore. Every range has plenty of rules that have a detrimental effect on safety, and was enacted by someone who had better intentions than common sense.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    let me know how the range is. i haven't been yet! oh & prices :)

I can answer part of that! It's a beautiful indoor range, very nicely setup, lighted target areas, very nice.

I can't remember exactly what the prices were, but I felt they were reasonable for an indoor range. If you will be using it regularly, though, one of the membership plans is definitely the way to go.

Gun prices struck me as a little high (for example, they had the blued Taurus M85 ultralight on sale for about $400, I had just put one on layaway at another store for $339), prices on ammo and what odds and ends they had were pretty good. I do recommend dropping in and checking them out.

bobbystoney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    I was just there last week. Great place and I really enjoyed it. Plan on getting a membership. Prices are $8 for 1/2 hour and $15 for an hour.

bobbystoney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    membership is $90 bucks for the basic (1/2 off range fees, 10% off select in-stock items) or $175 for select annual membership (free range fees, 2 free pistol rentals, etc.)

They also have a family package deal for $275.

Krazny13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    There are a couple cases for sale inside. Couple bucks a pop. Go in, snag 'em, go back out, case the rifles, and come back in. If you don't want to snag 'em, use pillow cases.

Its a rule that is aggressively enforced because of safety concerns. As the video orientation states, safety is the #1 priority at ABSI, and they have turned people away for uncased firearms.

Top Bottom