Wanting to get a smoker soon, need advice...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    For anyone asking for my price range, I wouldn't mind paying in the $200-300 range. I'd rather cry once and enjoy for a long time than the other way around. I have no real preference for charcoal/electric/propane, but the set it and forget it part of electric is hard to beat.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    For anyone asking for my price range, I wouldn't mind paying in the $200-300 range. I'd rather cry once and enjoy for a long time than the other way around. I have no real preference for charcoal/electric/propane, but the set it and forget it part of electric is hard to beat.
    You can't get into anything decent but a Weber for that price range. I just got done with my second job, (which happens to be sitting on the patio drinking beer and cooking meat), and I recommend the BGE 100%, or for ease of use! Traeger, and for old school, Brinkmann Smokin' Pit offset firebox smoker IF you can find one. The cheap ones they make today out of cast metal suck!

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    I wouldn't mind going closer to $500 if I knew I could get something good. I know Weber is good stuff, and if I have to do charcoal on that I wouldn't be upset.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Too bad electric is easier and produces the same dang result. I'm not mad at anyone who prefers wood/charcoal, I'll just work smarter, not harder.

If YOU can't tell the difference, then I guess it works for YOU. :yesway: Carry on.

Me, I'll continue to to put out a little more effort and take pride in superior results.

Why should there be ANY taste difference? It's the same damn thing except the heat is generated at a different source. The wood sits at the bottom near the element and smolders releasing the same smoke as a fire and the element keeps the low even temp going. Instead of wasting alot of wood for heat, only enough wood is needed to keep smoking. Besides, wood chunks are not cheap these days (barring you have a supply of hickory, oak or mesquite trees on your property and I don't think any mesquite grows near Indiana).

I like the lack of fussing necessary for the electrics, and mine was less than $100 and has worked for over 10 years now.

My grill on the other hand, I always use real wood (Cowboy charcoal is good stuff). Cooking on a grill over pure wood coals does make quite a difference there.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Why should there be ANY taste difference? It's the same damn thing except the heat is generated at a different source. The wood sits at the bottom near the element and smolders releasing the same smoke as a fire and the element keeps the low even temp going. Instead of wasting alot of wood for heat, only enough wood is needed to keep smoking. Besides, wood chunks are not cheap these days (barring you have a supply of hickory, oak or mesquite trees on your property and I don't think any mesquite grows near Indiana).

I like the lack of fussing necessary for the electrics, and mine was less than $100 and has worked for over 10 years now.

My grill on the other hand, I always use real wood (Cowboy charcoal is good stuff). Cooking on a grill over pure wood coals does make quite a difference there.

It isn't the "same smoke" though. What the smoke tastes like and deposits on the meat is highly dependent upon the completeness of the combustion of the wood. That is why you want a thin plume of blue smoke rather than thick white or heaven forbid brown. The thicker the smoke, the less complete the combustion and the more gunk and creosote is being deposited on the meat.

IMO, charcoal/wood or just wood fired smokers give off the best tasting smoke because the fuel is combusting naturally and you get cleaner smoke. I'm not saying it is impossible to do that with the others, but IME they seldom produce the same result.

Simply put, the smoke coming from smouldering wood is nothing like that coming from wood burning as part of a fire. That is why I am very careful to avoid smouldering fires in my offset; they produce bitter tasting smoke and creosote.

YETB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Indy - West
    I too went the Masterbuilt route - I went with the front window, front control model with the remote monitor/control.
    Amazon.com: Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Electric Digital Smokehouse Smoker, Black: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I got it MUCH cheaper than that from Amazon. (prices seem to really swing crazy on these) I paid 274.00

Electric - holds temp REALLY well. Load whatever wood chips you want from the side without opening the door. Drip tray /catch pan works well -

I did 32 pounds (4 x 8lb butts) at one time for a family cookout - only issue was the drip pan overflowed - never had that happen before or since.

Ive done turkey,ribs, briskets, butts, tons of peppers.

Cleans up really easy IF you do it right away - if you let it sit, it hardens.

I have also done charcoal /fire fueled smokers - the temp control on this makes it a no-brainer for a 16 hour cook.

** caveat - i do NOT think the built in meat probe is very accurate. I end up using another digital thermometer - i slip the probe right thru the vent hole. The actual smoker probe registers very close - but the meat probe seems to be off by about 11 degrees !!!

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    jmarriott said:
    If you are a good weather 6-9 month a year smoker then any of the above will do for you. I use the same old one from a sale at bass pro shop many years ago slightly modified.

if you want to go 12 months a year then the "big green egg" comes to play.

You just git on outta here with your luxurious recommendations.

My drum smoker fed my family a delicious smoked turkey on Christmas Day that begs to differ!

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Heres a pretty good smoker. Lots of room for food, too!

fat-woman-smoking.jpg

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    It isn't the "same smoke" though. What the smoke tastes like and deposits on the meat is highly dependent upon the completeness of the combustion of the wood. That is why you want a thin plume of blue smoke rather than thick white or heaven forbid brown. The thicker the smoke, the less complete the combustion and the more gunk and creosote is being deposited on the meat.

IMO, charcoal/wood or just wood fired smokers give off the best tasting smoke because the fuel is combusting naturally and you get cleaner smoke. I'm not saying it is impossible to do that with the others, but IME they seldom produce the same result.

Simply put, the smoke coming from smouldering wood is nothing like that coming from wood burning as part of a fire. That is why I am very careful to avoid smouldering fires in my offset; they produce bitter tasting smoke and creosote.

I agree on the thin blue smoke, but from experience, I know that propane smokers get thin blue just fine and I am sure electric ones do as well. Also taste is personal, I hate the taste of anything cooked over charcoal briquettes, be it KBB or any other brand I have had so far. The food tastes like charcoal smells. If I had the time I would only cook with real wood, but I like to be able to set the dial on my propane smoker and let it do it's thing while I work around the house, sleep, swim or anything.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Most competitions wont allow electric or propane that's why you do not hear about them winning very often. I just wonder if the food is not as good, why not let them in? They should all finish last right?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Okay, the ceramic Kamado Cooker gang showed up.

416482.jpg

Actually the Big Green Egg is not the original but I digress. After YEARS of research I decided on a Kamado smoker. I researched all of the brands, BGE, Saphire, Kamado Joe, Vision, and found that some companies really do a great job of marketing. They all had very similar quality and features so I went with the least expensive, the Vision Grill. These burn lump charcoal but are very easy to control heat and smoke if you know 1 secret.....Get one of these.
    41Y7XZ7397L.jpg

Amazon.com: RediCheck Remote Cooking Thermometer w/Taste Settings: Kitchen & Dining

All of the metal smokers I looked at were very poorly insulated and would allow wide variations in temperature. Once the ceramic cooker is at temperature, it maintains that temp quite easily. These cookers make the tastiest and juiciest Q you can imagine. I did a boneless rib roast in it two weekends ago and I have decided that in lieu of sex, I will be enjoying prime rib...

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    question for you electric smoker guys.

what is the best temperature setting for smoking tofu burgers while you go inside to watch Glee and drink wine coolers

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Just curious, why is it so terrible that some people choose an easier way to do things? I understand you obviously like your charcoal, but why can't others like electric or propane? They all so the same thing.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I agree on the thin blue smoke, but from experience, I know that propane smokers get thin blue just fine and I am sure electric ones do as well. Also taste is personal, I hate the taste of anything cooked over charcoal briquettes, be it KBB or any other brand I have had so far. The food tastes like charcoal smells. If I had the time I would only cook with real wood, but I like to be able to set the dial on my propane smoker and let it do it's thing while I work around the house, sleep, swim or anything.

Don't get me wrong, as I said above it can be done with a propane and probably electric smoker, I just haven't seen it happen that often. As you say, taste is highly personal. I don't know about propane, but I find the flavor from an electric smoker to be quite different from that of a wood-fired smoker. Thats not to say it doesn't taste good, because it certainly does. I just prefer the other.

Plus, I kinda like running a smoker to be an involved process. It keeps the wife's honey-do list at bay while I play cornhole/watch football/drink beer. That is why I like to run my offset on straight hardwood with no charcoal, which is not really how it is designed to be run. You have to keep on top of it but its kinda fun.

At the end of the day, as long as it makes the eater happy, that is what really matters!

Top Bottom